Question Sanitise Crucial P1 on storage executive

Billy Tallis

Aug 4, 2015
Since the error message mentions AHCI mode, it's possible that Crucial's software only supports Sanitize operations for their SATA drives. The P1 does support Sanitize, but issuing a Sanitize command to a NVMe drive is an entirely different process to issuing a Sanitize command to a SATA drive. And doing things other than normal IO to NVMe drives tends to be difficult to impossible under Windows because Microsoft's NVMe driver is so limited.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
The BIOS in my Asus B450-F ROG STRIX ATX mobo, offers a "Secure Erase" feature, that works for BOTH SATA and NVMe. I've used it on my two Intel 660p 1TB NVMe SSDs that I have installed, when I re-formatted my system.

dirtrider.play

Feb 18, 2021
I want to return the drive to the seller for a refund. I found out that traditional wiping mechanisms are not suitable for a nvme. Also the ssd specific wipe is much faster.
Can i try samsung magician or WD software?? Is there a way to confirm that the drive has been wiped?

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I want to return the drive to the seller for a refund. I found out that traditional wiping mechanisms are not suitable for a nvme. Also the ssd specific wipe is much faster.
Can i try samsung magician or WD software?? Is there a way to confirm that the drive has been wiped?
I don't think you can use other SSD vendors' tools, but a bootable linux distro that supports NVMe sanitize, something like partedmagic for instance, is very usfeful. Note that partedmagic does cost a small amount of money though.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Good find. Most linux distros are free. Choose one you like, download the ISO, and you can use YUMI or rufus to make a bootable flashdrive with it.