Sandy Bridge, worth waiting for?

Dec 26, 2007
Thoughts?

Right now I'm running about a 3 year old system using Athalon X2 5600+, 2 gb DDR2, 2x 8800GT's in SLI (won them otherwise I wouldn't be using SLI haha). It's starting to show it's age. So, does it make sense to upgrade to an i7 in the next few weeks (maybe wait til black friday?) for ~$600ish, or just wait until next year around Q2 or so when Sandy Bridge is released?

Dec 26, 2007
Originally posted by: PeteRoy
Starting to show it's age? What do you mean by that?

You can compre your system to This Core i7 920 GTX 280 and if you have one of the games I benchmark in that video you can see if it worth it.

I mean that in newer games, I'm seeing slow frame rates unless I drop quality settings to maintain my monitors native res (Dell 2407, 1920x1200 IIRC). There are other things that I'm seeing that are signs that it's time to upgrade. That's not to say it's "outdated", it's just starting to show it's age and about that time to upgrade. I also want to start running Windows 7 x64 bit, and it doesn't make sense to put $ into this system to go up to 4/8 gb of DDR 2 (my gf and I do a lot of photo editing, she does much more as she is working on starting a photography business).

I'm just not sure if Sandy Bridge is worth the wait or not, because if it is I can wait as my system is fast enough for now. Also, if I wait I can just upgrade to DX11 hardware as well.

latch

Jul 23, 2007
Wait for Lynnfield to be out in the next couple weeks and make your decision based on that (as opposed to the currently available i7 chips). The integrated PCIx controller will be good for you since you don't seem to be planing on running SLI. And the lower price will let you make a smarter investment into another component (like an SSD).

Also, given the lack of real world benchmarks, it seems like the majority of people are on the fence between the new i7-860 vs i5-750. I bring this up because you exclusively mentioned i7, but from the little we know, the decision looks like its going to come down to value - so you probably shouldn't count out the i5 just yet (although like you I'm leaning towards the i7-860).

Finally, new DX11 video cards are expected at some point relatively soon (next couple months). I'd buy a new i7-860 or i5-750 system now (when they are available that is), but figure out a way to delay buying a new video card (like re-using your dual 8800GTs for a couple months).

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
while I wouldn't say i7 necessarily, I would say sooner rather than later. i5 might be good for you too, in a few weeks, as mentioned. Also, you could get a 5870 when they come out to top off the system.

Alternatively, get an i7 now, and that will be a much better platform for your 8800GT's in SLI. Upgrade to the 5870 if wanted later.

drizek

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2005
No. Sandy Bridge is just an evolutionary change, it won't be like the change between penryn and nehalem. It will only be a real upgrade at 22nm, which is going to be more than two years from now.

imported_Shaq

Sep 24, 2004
Sandy Bridge won't be out for 14 months and that is the $1000 version. It will be about 18 months from now when an affordable version comes out. This of course assumes they keep their usual cycle, but it will be next fall-winter for sure before anything comes out. Heck, it will be 6-9 months before Gulftown is even out.

Dec 26, 2007
Originally posted by: Stoneburner
Rule around here is: If you want to upgrade, upgrade. Waiting is a perpetual cycle.

Very true. I have a friend that has been waiting like that for over a year now (was going i7/nehalem but then decided to wait for Sandy Bridge). It's really more a question of "Is Sandy Bridge going to be a significant enough improvement over Nehalem that it warrants waiting for it if it's going to be released by end of summer next year" then anything else.

Originally posted by: Scoop
Sandy Bridge is not 6-9 months away. It's like 18 months away.

Really? I thought it was due out H1 2010? It's been pushed back to 2011 now? If that's the case then this thread is pointless and I'll upgrade somepoint soonish lol

Originally posted by: Shmee
while I wouldn't say i7 necessarily, I would say sooner rather than later. i5 might be good for you too, in a few weeks, as mentioned. Also, you could get a 5870 when they come out to top off the system.

Alternatively, get an i7 now, and that will be a much better platform for your 8800GT's in SLI. Upgrade to the 5870 if wanted later.

That's the way I'm leaning currently.

I typically buy 1-2 steps down from "top of the line". When I got my proc, the 6000+ was top of the line and buying the 5600+ allowed me to get the 8800GTX (which I don't think I'll ever buy a $600 card again, but that's another topic entirely). I'd rather stick with the i7 over the i5 generation chips unless there is a specific reason the i5>i7. Unless Intel has decided it's cool to do lower #'s are better performing, I don't see why the i5 would be the way to go for me personally. Price/performance might be better on the i5, sure. Performance is more important to me though, and price is a secondary concern.

Dec 26, 2007
Originally posted by: drizek
No. Sandy Bridge is just an evolutionary change, it won't be like the change between penryn and nehalem. It will only be a real upgrade at 22nm, which is going to be more than two years from now.

Yeah, I was looking for the 22nm shrink version. Didn't realize it was that far away, although that makes sense since they are just now getting to the 32 nm shrink.

latch

Jul 23, 2007
Originally posted by: DisgruntledVirus
I'd rather stick with the i7 over the i5 generation chips unless there is a specific reason the i5>i7. Unless Intel has decided it's cool to do lower #'s are better performing, I don't see why the i5 would be the way to go for me personally. Price/performance might be better on the i5, sure. Performance is more important to me though, and price is a secondary concern.

Some of the early prices we've seen put the i5 750 at roughly 2/3 the price of an i7 860. The reason the i5 might be better for you is that spending the saved $100 on a better video card is likely to give much more noticeable results in games. Or spending that money towards an SSD is likely to get you _much_ better application performance. In other words, looking at performance or value from a single-component point of view isn't likely to yield you the best (in terms of value and performance) system.

Talk is that the i5 draws less power (because it doesn't have HT), and thus might OC better.

The addition of the integrated PCIx card could *possibly* make an i5 750 outperform an i7 920 (which doesn't have it) in a single video-card setup (although in such a case an i7 860 would beat both).

As you can see, there are a lot of unknowns. Some have commented that the i5 does in-fact seem to compete against the i7. And since, as I understand it, games aren't currently CPU or thread limited, its entirely possible that spending $100 on a better video card _could_ result in better performance than spending $300 on a better CPU.

ilkhan

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2006
westmere is this winter, sandy is next winter (late 2010/early 2011) and ivy is after that (late 2011/early 2012).
We should start seeing more data on sandy this year, but it'll still not be out until Q4 2010/Q1 2011.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999

Sandy Bridge is 32nm, expected to debut around Nov 2010. It will be the Tock of 32nm, meaning new architecture. Just as the Penryn -> Nehalem transition.

If you are thinking 22nm then you are thinking of Ivy Bridge (the Tick), which is the shrink of Sandy Bridge. Ivy is expected Nov 2011. Ivy is to Sandy as Westmere is to Nehalem and as Penryn was to Conroe.

The Tock for 22nm is called Haswell, it too will be a new architecture and is expected around Nov 2012.

Originally posted by: Stoneburner
Rule around here is: If you want to upgrade, upgrade. Waiting is a perpetual cycle.

Very true. I have a friend that has been waiting like that for over a year now (was going i7/nehalem but then decided to wait for Sandy Bridge). It's really more a question of "Is Sandy Bridge going to be a significant enough improvement over Nehalem that it warrants waiting for it if it's going to be released by end of summer next year" then anything else.

Originally posted by: Scoop
Sandy Bridge is not 6-9 months away. It's like 18 months away.

Really? I thought it was due out H1 2010? It's been pushed back to 2011 now? If that's the case then this thread is pointless and I'll upgrade somepoint soonish lol

Sandy was never intended for H1 2010. You are likely thinking of Gulftown...the 6 core version of Westmere. Westmere (32nm shrink of Nehalem) will debut this fall in its 2 core form called Clarkdale. Gulftown will be out in spring 2010. Both are based on the Nehalem shrink to 32nm and neither are related to Sandy Bridge.

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008

this in a nutshell. to answer your questions about i7 vs i5, i think what we should be talking about is not this, but S1156 vs S1366 platforms. if you wait, you can still buy an "i7" cpu, it will just have less pci-e lanes and it will probably be faster per $ spent at stock, and possibly overclock higher as well. the same is true for the i5s. since they draw less power and dont have HT, they will run cooler, and thus may overclock higher than the i7 860s may even (unless you disable HT, but you might as well just buy an i5 then). the only major difference will be on die PCIe vs dual x16 pcie, which in your case is a non issue, since the 8800GT runs fine on an 8x pcie slot, so you could use those both for now with a p55 board without lane splitting chips, and in a month or 2 from when you buy your mobo cpu and ram, you could get a sweet high end gpu which needs a single 16x slot, but would be 2-4x faster than your current setup, and you would still get the benefit of on die PCI-e

Dec 26, 2007
Originally posted by: latch
I'd rather stick with the i7 over the i5 generation chips unless there is a specific reason the i5>i7. Unless Intel has decided it's cool to do lower #'s are better performing, I don't see why the i5 would be the way to go for me personally. Price/performance might be better on the i5, sure. Performance is more important to me though, and price is a secondary concern.

Some of the early prices we've seen put the i5 750 at roughly 2/3 the price of an i7 860. The reason the i5 might be better for you is that spending the saved $100 on a better video card is likely to give much more noticeable results in games. Or spending that money towards an SSD is likely to get you _much_ better application performance. In other words, looking at performance or value from a single-component point of view isn't likely to yield you the best (in terms of value and performance) system.

Talk is that the i5 draws less power (because it doesn't have HT), and thus might OC better.

The addition of the integrated PCIx card could *possibly* make an i5 750 outperform an i7 920 (which doesn't have it) in a single video-card setup (although in such a case an i7 860 would beat both).

As you can see, there are a lot of unknowns. Some have commented that the i5 does in-fact seem to compete against the i7. And since, as I understand it, games aren't currently CPU or thread limited, its entirely possible that spending $100 on a better video card _could_ result in better performance than spending $300 on a better CPU.

I'm not planning on OC'ing (and if I do, I won't be OC'ing to the limits) so that isn't a big deal to me. The HT aspect would be more beneficial to me, even though it's not a huge deal. The i7 920 can be had for $199 new at Microcenter. The i5 750 is $205 at Fry's. They have the same clock, they have the same cache, etc so the main difference is the PCIx stuff and the socket/chipset. Right now, without seeing production reviews of both procs, I'd go with the 920 between the two of them with a D0 stepping if I decided to OC it. Also, the motherboards are more mature on the x58 platform since it's been out for a bit.

Now, the i7 860 is an interesting proc. It's the i7 line which means HT, and the 860 is faster clocked from Intel. The 860 will also go higher in "Turbo Mode". Now, the downside is it's only dual channel memory instead of tri-channel. While the performance differences to me aren't a big deal, the side effect is. With dual channel I'd imagine most motherboards will go with 4 slots instead of 6. That means could go up to 8 gb of mem instead of the 12 with the tri channel, which IS an important difference to me. Oh, and the i7 860 is going to be more expensive ($275 range IIRC). That would also apply to the i5 750.

Originally posted by: Idontcare

Sandy Bridge is 32nm, expected to debut around Nov 2010. It will be the Tock of 32nm, meaning new architecture. Just as the Penryn -> Nehalem transition.

If you are thinking 22nm then you are thinking of Ivy Bridge (the Tick), which is the shrink of Sandy Bridge. Ivy is expected Nov 2011. Ivy is to Sandy as Westmere is to Nehalem and as Penryn was to Conroe.

The Tock for 22nm is called Haswell, it too will be a new architecture and is expected around Nov 2012.

Yeah, I misunderstood previously. Opps... I really should keep more up to date on this stuff haha

Originally posted by: faxon

this in a nutshell. to answer your questions about i7 vs i5, i think what we should be talking about is not this, but S1156 vs S1366 platforms. if you wait, you can still buy an "i7" cpu, it will just have less pci-e lanes and it will probably be faster per $ spent at stock, and possibly overclock higher as well. the same is true for the i5s. since they draw less power and dont have HT, they will run cooler, and thus may overclock higher than the i7 860s may even (unless you disable HT, but you might as well just buy an i5 then). the only major difference will be on die PCIe vs dual x16 pcie, which in your case is a non issue, since the 8800GT runs fine on an 8x pcie slot, so you could use those both for now with a p55 board without lane splitting chips, and in a month or 2 from when you buy your mobo cpu and ram, you could get a sweet high end gpu which needs a single 16x slot, but would be 2-4x faster than your current setup, and you would still get the benefit of on die PCI-e

Yeah, the on chip PCIe stuff I don't think would make that big of a difference in a single card setup which is what I'd be going with. The 5870 or something in that generation and just single card. The OCing, if done, would be on air and not to the "limit". Instead it would be maybe bump it up to mid 3 ghz range (IIRC the D0 maxes at like 4.4 ghz on air) at most, and most likely just stick to 3 ghz even.

The i5 vs i7 are the same price effectively. So, the real difference will come into play with the chipsets and mobos. I'd prefer to stick with the 1366 socket though, because it's their "high end" socket with their fastest chips (if I decide to upgrade the CPU later).