Sandy Bridge & QuickSync, anyone got it working?

Himeko

May 21, 2012
Hi, posted this originally in the MediaCoder forums, but there isn't much activity there, maybe here I get a broader range of replies not just limited to MC. This is driving me crazy, nothing works at all, feels as if QS was designed not to ever work, what a hassle with this feature. Bought the z68 mobo initially for this and still can't use it:

After about a year and various short attempts at trying to get QS to work, I decided it's time to get to the root of it and get this going. I've been testing and reading here and there for MANY hours now, and still unable to use this crap. Review of my system:

- Asus P8Z68-V PRO
- Intel Core i5 2500K
- GTX470 Discrete videocard as main
- iGPU settings correct in BIOS
- Using 3 screens: 2 with the GTX470 as the main video adapter, and a 3rd through the on-board HDMI port for the Intel HD3000 graphics from the CPU. All working fine at the same time in multiscreen setup:

LZhk2.png

- Windows 7 x64 SP1
- Lucid Virtu installed, latest version
- HD3000 driver latest version

- Both MediaCoder 32 and x64 versions installed and tried
- Intel option checked during install
- imsdkenc.exe DOES EXIST in the codecs/codecs64 folder, and the path to it is correct under Advanced options
- Intel Media SDK 2012 installed, both 32 and 64 bit versions

hfeQI.png

Virtu enabled and all applications added:

rgyTG.png

EFQOX.png

Various tests:

- MediaCoder 32 and 64 bit, always return Error Code 14
- Media Espresso: says nothing about QuickSync
- ArcSoft Media Converter 7.5: shows only "None" and "NVIDIA CUDA" under Hardware-Acceleration
- Xilsoft: says nothing about QS
- Intel Media SDK encoder sample: works in software mode. with -hw parameter I get: (compiled the sample myself)

Return on error: error code -3, c:\program files\intel\media sdk 2012 r2\samples\sample_encode\src\pipeline_encode.cpp 859
Return on error: error code 1, c:\program files\intel\media sdk 2012 r2\samples\sample_encode\src\sample_encode.cpp 334

Which in the source code both correspond to:

Code:
// init session
    mfxIMPL impl = pParams->bUseHWLib ? MFX_IMPL_HARDWARE : MFX_IMPL_SOFTWARE;

mfxVersion ver = {0, 1};
    mfxVersion verMVC = {3, 1};
    mfxVersion verMVCViewOutput = {4, 1};
    mfxVersion version;
    version = (MVC_ENABLED & m_MVCflags) ? verMVC : ver; // API 1.0 is enough for this pipeline if NOT MVC

// check if "ViewOutput" mode was requested
    if (MVC_VIEWOUTPUT & m_MVCflags)
        version = verMVCViewOutput;

if (MFX_IMPL_HARDWARE == impl)
    {
        // try searching on all display adapters
        // if the MSDK API version doesn't support multiple adapters try initialize on the default
        if (MFX_ERR_NONE != m_mfxSession.Init(MFX_IMPL_HARDWARE_ANY, &version))
            sts = m_mfxSession.Init(MFX_IMPL_HARDWARE, &version);                     
    }
    else
        sts = m_mfxSession.Init(MFX_IMPL_SOFTWARE, &version);

MSDK_CHECK_RESULT(sts, MFX_ERR_NONE, sts);

Code:
sts = pPipeline->Init(&Params);
MSDK_CHECK_RESULT(sts, MFX_ERR_NONE, 1);

So, what's next to try/check/troubleshoot?

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Try removing the video card just to see if you can get Media Espresso to work correctly. I am truly baffled that such a supposedly powerful transcoding solution appears to be complete vaporware. I have hardly heard anything real about it.

Yellowsamuel

Dec 19, 2011
I got it working shortly after building my system. Of the top of my head I think you need to set up your motherboard to use the igp over your discreet card in bios, although it looks like you've already done that! Sorry op can't offer much more in the way of advice. Try using only one screen and like someone else mentioned remove your main gfx card and see if that helps! Honestly though you ain't missing a whole lot, there is only a handful of software that works with it. Try using Megui, Staxrip, Handbrake or command line x264 with a fast or medium preset if you need fast transcode times, they'll also provide better quality over quicksync or other hardware based encoders. Good luck op.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Yea, like YellowSamuel said, start from the very beginning. Just try to get QuickSync working without the discrete card and multi-monitor and work from there. Hopefully having only the iGPU driver will help too.

Edit: Could you tell me what the driver version of the iGPU is? The latest version is 8.15.10.2696.

Last edited:

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Its working on my HTPC. Its my understanding QS wont work with a vid card, gotta use the on board video. Im using Shark007 codecs, and enable QS in ffdshow from there.

edit: if youre not interested in installing Shark007 codec pack, I suggest you visit THIS thread over at avsforums.

Torxx

May 29, 2012
I can confirm Lucid Universal works with MediaCoder. MediaCoder did not install the correct files when I used the discrete GPU.

Here is what worked for me:
Turn IGP to always on in bios.
Hook up output to IGP.
Boot and install MediaCoder. In it's codecs64 folder you should see imsdkenc.exe.
Start up MediaCoder x64, click start now, and click on the bottom left video tab. Change the encoder checkbox to GPU; it should say Intel Encoder to the right of the Encoder button.

That worked for me. Then I added the mediacoder and imsdkenc apps to Lucid, and it works with my discrete GPU active.