Sandy Bridge 2500K $179.99 , 2600k $279.99 plus cheapish boards

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IanWorthington

Dec 7, 2001
hey guys...i need a new machine to do my photo/video editing work..

believe it or not i'm using my amd 6000+ to do my work...

time toupgrade!

what do you guys recommend for me? I also need RAM, PS, Case, video card, etc

my budget is around $1500 for everything except for monitor, keyboard/mouse

thanks !

There's two threads on this over on the General Hardware forum at the moment, one from me on for a LR build (about $1000 I think, waiting on SB pricing), another on video editing. Maybe there's some info there for you?

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
I have one as well.

I'm going just under 1500 with 2x5870's and a 2500k. and thast before about 150 in rebates.

boozie

Oct 12, 2006
What's the verdict on those prices at MC? No good anymore? I am building a computer, but not until April-Juneish, should I be waiting anyways?

boozie

Oct 12, 2006
They're still good. They just changed the Ad

Given that I won't be actually using it until April-June, should I just wait for now or is this a steal price that I shouldn't pass on? (MC is within 10 min of me)

steve wilson

Sep 18, 2004
My H67 board still uses an Award Modular BIOS. Text mode all the way, and no mouse support.

The best thing about UEFI is the quicker boot up time for me... You can tweak the setting either way, it doesn't matter, but faster boot up is a nice plus.

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Has anyone gone to the MC in Paterson, NJ? I wonder if they have the same deals as the MCs in Cali and elsewhere? My PC has been out of commission for 2 weeks now and I need to rebuild it.

Castiel

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2010
Has anyone gone to the MC in Paterson, NJ? I wonder if they have the same deals as the MCs in Cali and elsewhere? My PC has been out of commission for 2 weeks now and I need to rebuild it.

All MC's have the same deal's

Diogenes2

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2001
This could mean a little rain on our MC Sandy Bridge parade:

" Are there any items that cannot be reserved for pickup?
Yes. Products may not be available for in-store pickup due to manufacturer requirements or stock availability. In addition, products that are part of first-come, first-served in-store promotions, or included in special sales events cannot be reserved for pickup. "

http://www.microcenter.com/customer_support/pickup.html

I guess we will find out ...

edplayer

Platinum Member
Sep 13, 2002
there isn't a game in existence or even in development right that can make effective use of more than 4 cores. even then h/t doesn't provide much benefit over 4 standard cores, I think my i7 @ 4.0 gets ~ 10% more ppd with ht enabled than without. 2500k looks to be by far the better cpu.

What does "effective" use of more than 4 cores mean? Ever read anything on six core vs. four cores for gaming?

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...already-benefit-from-six-cores-CPUs/Practice/

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
I would bet serious money you cant pay online and reserve for pickup the SB's and their mobos

any of those big promotion items

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Hopefully 6 a.m. is early enough. Only one Microcenter where I live.

Just a heads to everyone in this thread.

1) I purchased Core i7 860 for $229.99 at Microcenter 2 days before official launch in the 1st week of September 2009. The price special pretty much remained for the rest of Core i7 860's life. It did fluctuate from $199.99 to $249.99 depending on the month, but most of the time remained between $199.99 and $229.99.

2) Based on point #1, it's almost guaranteed that MC will continue to sell these processors at these prices or even lower. The MSRP of my 860 was $329.99. Considering 2600k actually costs $317, the $279.99 is probably not the lowest price we'll see at MC in the coming months. So there is no need to rush out at 6am....

Hogan773

Nov 2, 2010
Just a heads to everyone in this thread.

1) I purchased Core i7 860 for $229.99 at Microcenter 2 days before official launch in the 1st week of September 2009. The price special pretty much remained for the rest of Core i7 860's life. It did fluctuate from $199.99 to $249.99 depending on the month, but most of the time remained between $199.99 and $229.99.

2) Based on point #1, it's almost guaranteed that MC will continue to sell these processors at these prices or even lower. The MSRP of my 860 was $329.99. Considering 2600k actually costs $317, the $279.99 is probably not the lowest price we'll see at MC in the coming months. So there is no need to rush out at 6am....

Thanks for that advice. I'm not a morning person!

I hope you're right. This CPU "loss leader" strategy seems to be how MC does bizness. I wonder if they get a better price even than the "per 1000 suggested retail price" from Intel. Really hard to believe that they'd LOSE money on these just with the hope that people will buy something else in store. Although with Newegg, Amazon, etc, maybe that is how they compete. Get the guy in the store to buy the CPU, and hope and pray that he doesn't just buy the CPU (which is what I am going to do) and get mobo, memory, etc elsewhere.

Hogan773

Nov 2, 2010
Sunday morning is going to look like black friday at Microcenters

I dunno - when you spread out all the enthusiast geeks from this little message board across the country, plus take into account that most people on Earth have no idea what SB is, nor do they care, nor do they have a pressing need to consider buying a new PC, plus take into account that even among those who are definitely SB buyers (like me) there are many who realize that it is not a shortage item or a limited manufacturing run......there are going to be plenty of 2500s and 2600s for everybody..........and pricing will stay flat or go down........

take all that and maybe it won't be as crazy as you think

pm

Elite Member Mobile Devices
Jan 25, 2000
I bought my Nehalem at MC on launch day. It wasn't like Black Friday, but it was crowded. It was actually pretty fun - everyone had an opinion on what I was buying. It was like geeks just showed up to observe and comment - like it was a sports game or something. About the only real problem is that they were sold out of a lot of the motherboards so I didn't get my 1st, or 2nd pick for motherboard... but I wanted a working system so I got my third choice.

Still, it was fun at the Denver MC. I was amused.

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
This could mean a little rain on our MC Sandy Bridge parade:

" Are there any items that cannot be reserved for pickup?
Yes. Products may not be available for in-store pickup due to manufacturer requirements or stock availability. In addition, products that are part of first-come, first-served in-store promotions, or included in special sales events cannot be reserved for pickup. "

http://www.microcenter.com/customer_support/pickup.html

I guess we will find out ...

I spoke to an MC store manager and he told me that I can reserve a chip online for 72-hour in-store pickup (since I can't be there, worse luck). I don't think he'd lie to my face, I'm in there all the time. I'm just not sure which one i'd get, assuming they get enough on Sunday. Intel's main corporate office in Santa Clara is two blocks away from this particular MC, so my guess, based on absolutely nothing, is that this store at least will have a good supply initially.

sticks435

Jun 30, 2008
Don't worry about the MC price. They had the same deal on the Q9550 for like 6 months, just like Russian and his 860. Any really hot CPU they will sell for dirt chip forever. Gets you in the door and looking at other stuff they have, which is actual pretty good prices as long as your tax is decent. Unfortunately where I live, it's 8.6%.