Sand Creek Getting Some Attention After 159 Years

Nov 17, 2019
I have no plans to travel, but if I ever get near the area, I'll make it a point to spend some time.

"The U.S. Board on Geographic Names voted overwhelmingly to change Mount Evans to Mount Blue Sky at the request of the Cheyenne and Arapaho tribes and with the approval of Colorado Gov. Jared Polis. The Arapaho were known as the Blue Sky People, while the Cheyenne hold an annual renewal-of-life ceremony called Blue Sky.

The 14,264-foot (4,348-meter) peak was named after John Evans, Colorado’s second territorial governor and ex officio superintendent of Indian affairs. Evans resigned after Col. John Chivington led an 1864 U.S. cavalry massacre of more than 200 Arapaho and Cheyenne people — most of them women, children and the elderly — at Sand Creek in what is now southeastern Colorado."

Other massacres and atrocities are far more well known.

Some history:

The Sand Creek massacre (also known as the Chivington massacre, the battle of Sand Creek or the massacre of Cheyenne Indians) was a massacre of Cheyenne and Arapaho people by the U.S. Army in the American Indian Wars that occurred on November 29, 1864, when a 675-man force of the Third Colorado Cavalry under the command of U.S. Volunteers Colonel John Chivington attacked and destroyed a village of Cheyenne and Arapaho people in southeastern Colorado Territory, killing and mutilating an estimated 69 to over 600 Native American people.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Stupid fucking women and children, learn to fight if you don't want to be massacred by US light infantry Jesus Christ these people all "we were here first" and "holy shit please stop massacring innocent women and children" stupid fucking assholes Jesus nut up.

Edit: This post may have been the result of drunk posting.

Last edited:

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Saw this.

I don't like the new name tho. Blue sky is terrible. Doesn't fit in at all with the rest of Colorado's mountains. Take that to Montana.

Mount Black Kettle would have been much better. Similar to Mount Antero or a bunch of other peaks.

Last edited: