San Francisco to rebrand convicted felons as "justice-involved person." (not Onion)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
And I'm making fun of you, comrade.

San Francisco's thinking, how they go about "problems" is the part you seem to be missing. Next they'll call homeless something else, but do nothing to actually address homelessness. Liberal thinking.

BTW, here you are, again, continuously responding to a thread that has nothing to do with you, while telling me how triggered I am. Carry on.
Progressheviks never rest on the semantics game. That's why illegal aliens are now just "immigrants".

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Progressheviks never rest on the semantics game. That's why illegal aliens are now just "immigrants".

Huh-uhh! Trump says they're diseased dope smuggling murderous rapey animal invaders! The little kids are the worst! Probably indoctrinated by Al Qaeda & Chavez's Venezuelan Commies!

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
It's not my thing either, but the free market has spoken and assigned San Francisco the highest value in terms of what people are willing to pay to live there. You believe in the free markets, don't you?
Then the rich living there and using the San Francisco area for their tech empires should have no problem paying a homeless tax to alleviate the problem. You believe in the very well off paying their fair share, don't you?

When Uber and Airbnb Go Public, San Francisco Will Drown in Millionaires
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/07/style/uber-ipo-san-francisco-rich.html

I'm sure there isn't too many Trump supporters in the house buying crowd in San Francisco, question is how liberal are they when the tax man starts reaching into their wallets/purses.
In 2018 there were 5,644 properties sold in San Francisco and only 2,208 of those were single family homes. Software employees represent more than 50 percent of those buying, according to Compass. One real estate firm estimates an average one-bedroom in the city now rents for $3,690 per month. (Another firm puts that average at $3,551.)

“Now you’ve got all these I.P.O.s at the same time, and we’ll potentially have thousands of young people, all now with money, looking to buy homes,” said Shane Ray, a real estate agent. “You’ll be able to feel it.”

As for the original post,
San Francisco to rebrand convicted felons as "justice-involved person

That politically correct mentality that is behind this example eventually manifests itself in more than just words and emboldens those that look to lower standards for penalizing criminal behavior, no different than liberals claiming Trumps words creates an atmosphere that emboldens racists.

That is why government officials need to tread carefully in what they say and do because their words and deeds (usually through laws and regulations) can have a multiplying effect far greater than the initial intent.

One example of feel good laws having unintended consequences extended by the liberal governor at the time who lived in his own politically correct bubble.

https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/s...-bag/509-0f7aa9cf-a330-40a7-ba4d-65aebf3aefa2

Shoplifters off the hook? New law leaves businesses holding the bag

Did Prop 47 backfire on businesses?

SAN DIEGO (NEWS 8) – Did Prop 47 backfire on businesses?
Businesses in East County said the relatively new law leaves them holding the bag and lets shoplifters off the hook.
Voters passed Prop 47, which can reduce the penalties for some nonviolent crimes, three years ago. It re-categorizes nonviolent offenses like shoplifting as misdemeanors instead of felonies.

Hani Toma is an El Cajon business owner who has grown frustrated with changes that impose lighter penalties for thefts of items worth less than $950.
“That’s encouraging people to steal more, and you can’t do nothing about it,” said Toma.
Opponents said Prop 47 emboldens criminals even if they are caught.
“Usually the person gives a false name. They don’t have an identification. The ticket goes from their hand into the trash and effectively nothing happens. Effectively, in the state of California it is legal to steal up to $950 without punishment,” said El Cajon Mayor Bill Wells.
Proponents, however, said the proposition achieved its core mission of reducing the jail and prison populations.
“Even though the concept of this might be tenderhearted, it is not doing the homeless population any favors to enable homelessness,” said Mayor Wells.
Business owners like Toma said they are the ones left to pay the price of crime. “It is not easy to make $950 a day. We don’t make it in a day. Go to a neighbor liquor store. Steal from him, then what happens?”

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
That politically correct mentality that is behind this example eventually manifests itself in more than just words and emboldens those that look to lower standards for penalizing criminal behavior, no different than liberals claiming Trumps words creates an atmosphere that emboldens racists.

eeh, yes. Sounds like they are stating fact? Trump's words do embolden racists. They have talked to actual racist who says so. This is a fact.
Also yes, words we, or more importantly the state, use to descibe people do have an effect. Are some actually arguing against this? It's aboslutely true. If "PC culture" means not calling someone a shitty word that makes their life worse, when it costs me literaly nothing to use another word; then yes I guess I'll be PC.

Last edited:

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Hold on, he's busy polishing off the new version of the conservatives translative guide to modern English and will be back in a moment.
It's absolutely hilarious that the same crowd that claims to hate PC is trying to dictate their politically correct terms.

Reactions: Meghan54

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

It IS important, but you're not going to like the answer, haha.

An individual's immigration to the US is only illegal after their status has been adjudicated by a court as there are many reasons why individuals lacking a visa could be legally entitled to reside in the US. If you're actually interested in calling people 'what they are' then you should use the term undocumented from now on as they are not illegal unless in violation of a deportation order.