San Francisco to Expand 'Sanctuary City' Ordinance

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Originally posted by: Patranus
Originally posted by: bfdd
I have a problem with illegal immigrants, no one should be setting up sanctuary cities to protect them, on the other hand we REALLY need to fix our immigration policy it is WAY to hard for people to migrate here legally.

Agree, but the city of San Francisco shielded an illegal immigrant who then went onto assassinate an entire family after the illegal drove down a one way street the wrong way and the family pulled over to let him pass.

True Story.

If any city shouldn't have this policy it is San Francisco as there has been multiple deaths OF CITIZENS linked directly to the policy.

That's totally wrong, I'm not agreeing with it. Like I said I have a problem with people being here illegally and we shouldn't be setting up these sanctuary zones. I just was stating I think it's far to hard for people to migrate here legally and that's a huge problem. I would have some moral problems with this, but I would probably be ok with it if someone came along and said "We're going to boot them all out, but we're going to reform immigration laws to make it easier for people migrate here legally because of reason 1 2 and 3."

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I have a problem with illegal immigrants, no one should be setting up sanctuary cities to protect them, on the other hand we REALLY need to fix our immigration policy it is WAY too hard for people to migrate here legally.

Agreed, if we insist on subsidizing agriculture by allowing foreign workers then we need a better guest worker approach, and for other immigration we need to make it possible for people besides relatives to have a chance at legal immigration. If we offer no hope of legal immigration or legal guest worker status they'll just keep coming illegally despite any fences we put up.

And yes, San Francisco's policy is sanctioning the harboring criminals and it should be stopped by the Feds and/or the Governator.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
I have a problem with illegal immigrants, no one should be setting up sanctuary cities to protect them, on the other hand we REALLY need to fix our immigration policy it is WAY too hard for people to migrate here legally.

Agreed, if we insist on subsidizing agriculture by allowing foreign workers then we need a better guest worker approach, and for other immigration we need to make it possible for people besides relatives to have a chance at legal immigration. If we offer no hope of legal immigration or legal guest worker status they'll just keep coming illegally despite any fences we put up.

And yes, San Francisco's policy is sanctioning the harboring criminals and it should be stopped by the Feds and/or the Governator.

I have no idea why people are ok with our current immigration policies, they're an embarrassment to us as a nation imo. We should be the easiest country in the world to migrate to and we should do it with open arms. We should make it rather easy for others to want to come here and be Americans with us. I understand there has to be some precaution because we don't want foreign criminals and the like to come here underguise, but we should be able to tackle that and make it easy for the rest to come here for their chance at the "dream."

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
Originally posted by: Vic
I dare any self-proclaimed 'conservative' here to explain how strict anti-immigration policies are representative of a small govt ideology.
Seems it's in the Constitution(amendment) so it's within the scope of the Federal Gov't.

So would you also argue that the 16th amendment is representative of small govt ideology as well?

Pfft... the 14th amendment is more or less the only part of the Constitution that allows the federal govt to interfere with state and local law in this fashion. It was and still is the death of states rights. I thought you claimed to be a conservative from the South.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I have no idea why people are ok with our current immigration policies, they're an embarrassment to us as a nation imo. We should be the easiest country in the world to migrate to and we should do it with open arms. We should make it rather easy for others to want to come here and be Americans with us. I understand there has to be some precaution because we don't want foreign criminals and the like to come here underguise, but we should be able to tackle that and make it easy for the rest to come here for their chance at the "dream."

:thumbsup:

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
I dare any self-proclaimed 'conservative' here to explain how strict anti-immigration policies are representative of a small govt ideology.
Seems it's in the Constitution(amendment) so it's within the scope of the Federal Gov't.

So would you also argue that the 16th amendment is representative of small govt ideology as well?

Pfft... the 14th amendment is more or less the only part of the Constitution that allows the federal govt to interfere with state and local law in this fashion. It was and still is the death of states rights. I thought you claimed to be a conservative from the South.

I think you fail to understand what "small gov't" means and are instead trying to make it mean "no gov't" and then point to any gov't action to bash "small gov't" types.

I think you'd find, if you'd open your eyes and think instead of assuming, that most if not all of those who ascribe to the "small gov't" type ideology look to Constitutional limits.

eh? I'm not from the south and I am a Conservative. A Conservative who wants and expects the Feds to follow and respect the Constitution. In this case, the Feds have the authority over Immigration and should be following and enforcing the law. They aren't and it's sad to see their disrespect.