San Fran: Restaurant workers want 25% *Mandatory* tip

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
Oh look, another tipping thread on ATOT. This should end well.

/popcorn
/lawnchair

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
http://blog.sfgate.com/djsaunders/2011/10/14/mandatory-25-percent-tip-not-a-san-francisco-treat/

San Fran is known for wacky ideas. Some of them good. This isnt one of them.

Yet another person who doesn't even read what he links.

So I’m all set to write about what a bad idea this is when I hit a problem: The story has no source — no politician, official no author of an ordinance or policy requiring said tip — and the story says “standard,” not mandatory. It’s a cute piece about what people tip, should tip and want to tip, as well as what restaurant workers would like people to tip, but the 25-percent mandatory-tip angle is a nothing-burger.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Greedy motherfuckers. I'll just stick to cooking food myself.

I would tend to agree but I once knew a flight attendant who lived in a tiny apartment in SF who had to pull down 4 jobs just to make ends meet. I can understand why they might be asking for this (ridiculous) amount because it is so expensive to live there.

There is a simple way to voice your opinion about this issue .. either do or don't eat at SF restaurants.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
Yet another person who doesn't even read what he links.
That, and
"Update: Kim Wirshing of the Hotel and Restaurant Employees Union Local 2 just returned my call. He was unaware of the issue and told me, “That’s not something we’re pushing right now.”"

Spikesoldier

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
Welcome to Nancy Pelosi's Steakhouse!

25% mandatory tip required!

We got the obamacare waivers, so you guys gotta pay my workers health ins. now.

jingramm

Oct 25, 2009
It's insane how the government takes 35% of my salary and these restaurant works want 25% of what I pay to eat. That's crazy!

Xcobra

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2004
Doesn't seem legit but if it is, fuckkkkkk that. Never eating at a seat-in place in such a retarded city.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
They aren't pushing it, but only because they sent up a trial balloon about it and the backlash was rough...

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
You also have realize you cannot be forced to pay a mandatory tip:

According to the "New York Times," a tip is not legally enforceable, even if the restaurant declares it mandatory. In 2004, a New York restaurant patron refused to pay a mandatory 18 percent gratuity on a bill and was arrested for theft of services. However, the judge found him not guilty, stating that the payment of a tip is not legally enforceable by a restaurant.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
They already started charging some health tax in SF. I just deduct that from the standard 18% I usually leave.