San Diego raises minimum wage and ties it to inflation

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
lol @ #min wage fee. If minimum wage earners don't have the right to an inflation adjustment once a year then businesses don't have the right to raise their prices for making the same product year after year for the same reason.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
The response of the San Diego business community should be interesting.

Last edited:

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
lol @ #min wage fee. If minimum wage earners don't have the right to an inflation adjustment once a year then businesses don't have the right to raise their prices for making the same product year after year for the same reason.

Your posts are all over the place. I can no longer tell when you are or are not being sarcastic, which means that they've lost their appeal.

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
Makes sense to me. If the community wants a minimum wage, then indexing it to inflation makes sense so the community reduces the likelihood of revisiting this issue.

San Diego likely has a diverse enough economy they aren't going to Detroit themselves.

I'm sure businesses will bitch about it, but I would be absolutely floored if there were any significant negative ramifications of this. There is a nominal bump Jan 1 of 2015 and the rest doesn't take hold for another five years.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Fine with this, as long as those who already had that wage get a proportionate raise. If someone working for Mc-whatever, get's $15 per hour, then everyone else's wages should rise by a like amount.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Indeed. Just a guess, but that's probably just over a nickel per item. These idiot Owners should just raise the Price ffs and quit being drama queens about it.

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
How are they going to tie it to inflation though? If like SS's "cost of living," we're in for ineffective adjustments.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Good for them. I prefer this mechanism moving the federal rate significantly. What works for one area is not going to work for another so I'd prefer the federal rate be close to the lowest common denominator and have locations that can sustain a higher rate do so locally

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Much as I oppose minimum wage, a city dealing with its own citizens will work much better than a one-size-fits-all federal approach.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
By the time 2019 gets here, it sounds like they will be way behind everyone else.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
By the time 2019 gets here, it sounds like they will be way behind everyone else.

cant wait to see the after effects in 2020:
$15/hr min in seatle
inflation based min in san diego
$7.75/hr almost everywhere else

hm.. I can do a phd study in those 6yrs.. hm..

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Will this be tied to deflation rates as well? I suspect it should be. In 2009, we had several months of negative growth.

otherwise, agree with Atreus statement.

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
Indeed. Just a guess, but that's probably just over a nickel per item. These idiot Owners should just raise the Price ffs and quit being drama queens about it.

with a sane rational argument like that im certain your business would have next to minimal profits.

everyone knows that when min wage goes up the prices of everything go up to maximum fuck you levels.

:p

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Seems like we're running around in circles. Minimum wage increases causes inflation to increase cause minimum wage to increase. Rinse and repeat.

Generally speaking that would happen. But it means the minimum will make gains against upper incomes. Income disparity lowers, that's what the majority wants?

Olikan

Platinum Member
Sep 23, 2011
Seems like we're running around in circles. Minimum wage increases causes inflation to increase cause minimum wage to increase. Rinse and repeat.

It doesn`t work like that
A imported german car, is still going to cost the same

cabri

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2012
It doesn`t work like that
A imported german car, is still going to cost the same

Minimum wage can not afford an imported German car.

Also, the minimum age here does not apply to overseas.

Skilled labor is not minimum wage affected.
It is those that are not skilled labor that get affected, both by the wage and the relative cost of that wage to the business

trungma

Jul 1, 2001
Generally speaking that would happen. But it means the minimum will make gains against upper incomes. Income disparity lowers, that's what the majority wants?

Don't get me wrong, I believe it is a good thing to tie minimum wage with inflation. My opinion is that all the other wages will go up as well so at the end of the day, minimum wage will still be at the bottom.

Olikan

Platinum Member
Sep 23, 2011
Prices will go up unless the business owners are willing to just eat the cost.

Yes, it will, but how much?
If min wage increases 10%, will everything increase 10%?

My answer is no, the costs of a bag of chinese rice is still going to cost the same for the market to resell it. The cashiers are going to be more expensive, sure... but they baraly cost much compared to what the chinese farmers ask

In the end, the bag of rice end costing 3% more

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
Econ 101, wage price spiral, nothing new here
Its why you elect politicians to concern themselves with when its appropriate to raise the minimum. The mayor doesn't like however he was outvoted, welcome to democracy