San Diego faces own medicine - Arizona residents cancel trips

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cheezy321

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2003
That's complete unadulterated bullsh!t. AZ didn't take a stand when they needed cheap illegal construction labor during the housing boom. Now that they don't need illegals as much for their economy, they are "taking a stand." And by "taking a stand," they mean targeting illegal immigrants just looking to make enough to survive and feed their families back home, not those who hire them to profit off their cheap labor, which is why they are here in the first place.

No no no, they were trying to take a stand then too. It just wasn't front pages in the news. Arizona became the kidnapping capital of the US slowly, not overnight.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
While technically true, California wants electricity that is generated using renewable energy sources, i.e., electricity from solar panels > energy from coal plants.

We can move AZ's solar energy industry to the Mojave desert, like that's going to help AZ.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
While it may be a commodity; CA seems to be unable to purchase enough of it when needed. The same goes for water.

AZ could easily cripple Southern CA if they chose, by retaining all the water they are authorized to use from the Colorado River Basin.

Then they won't be authorized to use as much. It's one of those use it and lose it levers :D

Mr. Lennon

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
While it may be a commodity; CA seems to be unable to purchase enough of it when needed. The same goes for water.

AZ could easily cripple Southern CA if they chose, by retaining all the water they are authorized to use from the Colorado River Basin.

I'm sure AZ's economy would be affected by CA withholding shipments coming through its ports to AZ.

Regardless, this whole argument is stupid. Despite this controversial law, no one should be boycotting AZ. Although I do not agree with the wording of the law (a weakness that I feel will be exploited by bad cops), we need to focus our anger towards the feds for not fixing this issue the right way a long time ago. Teabag states like AZ wouldn't be passing laws like this if the feds actually provided some strict border security and punishments for those that hire illegals.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
we need to focus our anger towards the feds for not fixing this issue the right way a long time ago.

I think we can all agree on this point. I've been a supporter of Arizona's law, but I have said many times that Arizona should NEVER have had to pass it themselves. This is certainly something the feds should be doing but of course, all we get are excuses.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Good. Did these fools think it didn't work both ways? I could be wrong, but I would think CA sees more tourism from AZ citizens than the other way around.

Excellent news. The usual suspects in this forum, of course, are saying "Big deal! We don't need Arizona tourists!" I'm sure tourists from many other states will follow suit and tell San Diego (and those other cities) to STFU and they'll go elsewhere. Fox News may be full of wingnuts, but they do have influence and no one can deny that.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Excellent news. The usual suspects in this forum, of course, are saying "Big deal! We don't need Arizona tourists!" I'm sure tourists from many other states will follow suit and tell San Diego (and those other cities) to STFU and they'll go elsewhere. Fox News may be full of wingnuts, but they do have influence and no one can deny that.

It's overrated. Plus even if they were to get SD to lift the "official" boycott, so what, the city could just "happen" to not go to AZ for travel anymore ;)

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
It's overrated. Plus even if they were to get SD to lift the "official" boycott, so what, the city could just "happen" to not go to AZ for travel anymore ;)

Aw, what's wrong? It's funny when the shoe is on the other foot, isn't it?

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Aw, what's wrong? It's funny when the shoe is on the other foot, isn't it?

What shoe? I don't even live in San Diego. Unless AZ decides to not use computers anymore, they are still going to buy Silicon Valley products/services, whether they like it or not. In the meantime, I can stop buying AZ products and services, and life will go on as usual :)
Oh yeah, if teabaggers stop going to SD for vacation, guess what, lower prices for me, I actually benefit from it :) Plus their taxes, through federal unemployment extensions are going to pay the unemployed SD hotel workers to sit on their behinds and eat Cheetos all day :)

DAGTA

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm strongly in support of the AZ law, but I'm not going to boycott California. The boycotts are stupid and hurt local businesses, not the idiot politicians that have nothing better to do than start drama. I will boycott a business that I know is employing illegals, but I will not boycott San Diego just because it has some dumbass politicians.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

Then they won't be authorized to use as much. It's one of those use it and lose it levers :D

CA has already tried to steal AZ & NV share of the water and were rebuffed by the Federal courts.

There is an agreement in place as to how much each state is allocated. Just because a state does not use it's allocated share does not legally allow another state to claim it. The unused share may be used by another state but the lack of use by the owning state does not forfeit the ownership.

At present CA is using more than 110% of their share. If AZ took back the excess that it is not using and being used by CA; SOCAL would be in a world of hurt.