Samuel Adams Double Agent IPL

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
This is my favorite beer right now.

From the Hopology collection. Samuel Adams Double Agent IPL (India Pale Lager)

Lot of hops so there is some bitterness, especially at the end. But not too much. A bit of citrus, grapefruit, some bread (tiny bit), lots of hops. It's really good. If you've tried it let me know what you think. If not, give it a try. For me it's a really good beer.

8417654078_9472a385da.jpg

chalmers

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2008
I had it in a sampler pack of theirs. It's great. Crisp like a lager with lots of hoppy/fruity aromas.

So you're saying you're not disappoint in it?

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
I can't drink anything other than that lighter wheat brew they make. Summer Ale, I think?

Sam Adams is like the Ben and Jerry's of beer. Except the good flavor to bad flavor radio is a shit lot lower. I wish I could think of all the examples I've had, but all that sticks in my mind is the last one I happened to have: Hazelnut something or other.

If they make 'hazelnut extract'...you know, like the little bottles of vanilla extract that most people have in their pantry...the beer basically tasted like it had two bottles of it dumped in there. I almost puked. But instead, I finished it, because it was beer. And I regretted it. Greatly.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I can't drink anything other than that lighter wheat brew they make. Summer Ale, I think?

Sam Adams is like the Ben and Jerry's of beer. Except the good flavor to bad flavor radio is a shit lot lower. I wish I could think of all the examples I've had, but all that sticks in my mind is the last one I happened to have: Hazelnut something or other.

If they make 'hazelnut extract'...you know, like the little bottles of vanilla extract that most people have in their pantry...the beer basically tasted like it had two bottles of it dumped in there. I almost puked. But instead, I finished it, because it was beer. And I regretted it. Greatly.

Your post was invalidated by the first sentence.

You could always drink water, but if you wanted something blander you could go for a Bud Light.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
I've had it and really enjoyed it. Hopefully it'll make it into the regular rotation like Latitude 48 did.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
Your post was invalidated by the first sentence.

You could always drink water, but if you wanted something blander you could go for a Bud Light.

Uh, by 'lighter,' I mean 'less heavy than many of their other beers.' Not 'light beer.'

I seem to remember Summer Ale being a lot like most 'witbiers' that are widely available in the US (e.g. Blue Moon, Shock Top). Boston Lager is decent but not my preference. I'm sure there are other 'normal' beers from Sam Adams...but the majority are not.

I'm sorry if it's unmanly to not need obnoxiously strong cherry, hazelnut, or what-the-shit-ever else flavorings in my beer.

Seriously, go get one of those hazelnut motherfuckers. If you can down a bottle without stopping to cringe, I'll mail you five bucks.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I had it in a sampler pack of theirs. It's great. Crisp like a lager with lots of hoppy/fruity aromas.

So you're saying you're not disappoint in it?

i love porters/stouts.
i have to buy the sampler pack. it the only way to get the peacan Porter. :(

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
I've never had their hazelnut beer, but cherry wheat was definitely a bit too sweet and blatant. Funnily enough I do enjoy their Chocolate Bock though.

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
I have yet to find myself liking any of the Sam Adam's "spinoff" brews. I love Sam Adam the original, but all their other attempts been lackluster to me. Hopefully this will be an exception.

Mar 10, 2005
i like the original lager and especially the summer ale, but most of the others i find undrinkable crap. i've had plenty of india pale ales, but never an ipl. i'll try it this weekend.

ViperXX

Platinum Member
Nov 2, 2001
Cherry wheat was the shit. I asked my local booze supplier to carry it, and they did.

Centauri

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2002
I was enamored with Cherry Wheat at one point as well. But as stated above, it eventually became too comical tasting for me too. Likewise with Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss.

I also used to have a fairly strong aversion to hoppy beers, but it's waned as of late. The Latitude 48 from Sam is probably the first IPA I ever found genuinely drinkable and I've had a few other IPAs since that went down fairly easily as well. I think my taste buds are mutating or something. Anyways, I'll have to hunt for the IPL if only because it's a style of beer I've never had.

Harrod

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2010
I'll have to try this out, about the only beers I like are IPA's, I'm not really sure that's a good thing though.

Centauri

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2002
If there's fruit in your beer, you better have a vag.

I am dissapoint.

If you deprive yourself of something ingestible in the comfort and privacy of your own home because of something a Larry The Cable Guy says, then you have some truly serious self confidence issues.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
If you deprive yourself of something ingestible in the comfort and privacy of your own home because of something a Larry The Cable Guy says, then you have some truly serious self confidence issues.

Internet forums aren't located in your own home, and anything you post on them may (and probably should) be treated with extreme ridicule.

AmdEmAll

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2000
Was the only beer in the sampler I didnt really like.. but I don't like really hoppy beers so that makes sense.

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
If there's fruit in your beer, you better have a vag.

I am dissapoint.

Well the fruit provides some sweetness so it's not just bitter all the way through due to the high hop content.

Bittersweet > just plain bitter or just plain sweet.

It's a flavor combination chefs often strive for because it covers your palate with a lot of flavor.

If you want the science behind it: Your tongue is divided into sections where it tastes different flavors.

Sweet and sour is another great combination.

So, while I don't have a vag, I do have a tongue, and I know how to work it. :whiste::biggrin:

Last edited:

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
Isn't the taste zone thing an urban myth?

You're right it is. Learn something new everyday. Only to unlearn it later. :) Sometimes.

Anyway that doesn't change the fact that it's a good flavor combination for some people. It just changes where it takes place. In the brain rather than the tongue then?

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
In my experience it's not the combination that's wrong. I mean, I think I prefer less sweet beers in general, but the problem is that they aren't subtle. Recently I had some kind of coconut beer and it had the exact "Bottle of artificial flavoring" problem mentioned previously. It's like the whole fruit vodka thing made brewers try to imitate it and appeal to kids and women. Just too much.

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
The sweet note is pretty subtle. This beer is more bitter than sweet by a long shot. The hops overpower the sweetness 10 to 1 easily. Maybe 100:1.