Samsung S9 battery drains down fast - Need App suggestions

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
I got a new phone Samsung Galaxy S9 from Sprint and the battery drains down pretty fast.. simply browsing internet or any minor uses (supposedly least CPU intensive) seems to drain my battery faster than watching high definition videos/movie off my USB thumb drive...strangly, battery life is pretty good watching these videos but why browsing internet my battery goes down faster?? And no my battery or the phone isn't running hot so no heat problem..
I have either uninstalled or disabled most of apps that I don't need. I disabled the bixby...and I have no anti-virus running (it's not even installed). I use Google Chrome...is that what's using up my battery? Is there a better web browsing app that is battery-efficient? Please advice..

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Every single Samsung Android phone I've owned has had a battery problem at one point or another.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I got a new phone Samsung Galaxy S9 from Sprint and the battery drains down pretty fast.. simply browsing internet or any minor uses (supposedly least CPU intensive) seems to drain my battery faster than watching high definition videos/movie off my USB thumb drive...strangly, battery life is pretty good watching these videos but why browsing internet my battery goes down faster?? And no my battery or the phone isn't running hot so no heat problem..
I have either uninstalled or disabled most of apps that I don't need. I disabled the bixby...and I have no anti-virus running (it's not even installed). I use Google Chrome...is that what's using up my battery? Is there a better web browsing app that is battery-efficient? Please advice..
I'd certainly advise you to give the Samsung browser a try. It's got built in ad blocking capabilities and a dark mode which should help your battery.
There are a ton of arcane power saving settings in Android as well, I'd stick it on optimised and leave it at that as it learns your routines.

Reactions: Raduque

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
my galaxy s5 had draining problems after i had switched from sprint to samsung txt msg app. I disallowed access to camera & microphone, and the app just drained full battery over like 1-2 hours until i uninstalled and switched back.

My Galaxy S5 has been find since I fixed that issue around last winter or so.

It might be possible one of your apps is trying to get access to a disallowed resource?

note: was tough to diagnose since Andoid OS was showing up as the battery draining app, msg showed less than 1% usage

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Part of your problem is all the disabling you did. You probably used a "bloatware remover", am I right? Don't do that. Re-enable everything, uninstall that "bloatware remover " trash and manually disable things like Facebook or Integram using Androids built-in Applications manager. Let the phone gracefully disable anything you don't use; its smarter than you. Switch to a browser that supports an adblock extension, like Samsung Browser or Edge - disable Chrome.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Do you have desktop site mode on? Keeping that on will drain the battery. Do you leave bluetooth and cellular data on? Those two things will drain the battery. You do not need to keep cellular data on when at home.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Just keep the optimizer on, and block everything... I use to avoid FB app, since I noticed it draining the battery, but... the built in android optimizer does a good job. It will close out any apps you aren't using to conserve battery life. Tho, if you are a heavy FB user that needs to keep it open 24/7 so that you don't miss an update or PM...

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Just keep the optimizer on, and block everything... I use to avoid FB app, since I noticed it draining the battery, but... the built in android optimizer does a good job. It will close out any apps you aren't using to conserve battery life. Tho, if you are a heavy FB user that needs to keep it open 24/7 so that you don't miss an update or PM...
Use Facebook in a web browser, its pretty much the same but doesn't run in the background, and use messenger lite (it's the better of two bad options) if you absolutely need Facebook.

Reactions: ericlp

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Use Facebook in a web browser, its pretty much the same but doesn't run in the background, and use messenger lite (it's the better of two bad options) if you absolutely need Facebook.

Yes, for the lite option, but, like I said, android battery optimizer does a great job with all apps... I don't have any battery issues. The optimizer will just put lite to sleep, so, if you want messenger to work (properly) you'll need to tweek it, if you want to keep getting messages 24/7.

Reactions: WelshBloke

accguy9009

Oct 21, 2007
Yes, for the lite option, but, like I said, android battery optimizer does a great job with all apps... I don't have any battery issues. The optimizer will just put lite to sleep, so, if you want messenger to work (properly) you'll need to tweek it, if you want to keep getting messages 24/7.

I have the S9 + which I realize has a slighter larger battery. Follow the suggestions already listed here which are on point. One other suggestion would be to modify the display settings. Adjust the brightness down slightly. You should have three screen resolution options. Choose the middle option for longer battery life. My battery holds up all day and then some & I have had the device for 15 months. Use the device care option from settings. This will close apps running in the back ground. The Samsung browser is the best mobile browser I have used.

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
I too have the S9+ and I can get nearly three days out of a full charge if I don't let apps run in the background. Get to know your power settings and which apps use the most power over time.