Samsung S3 Snapdragon and not Exynos?

Rerednaw

Mar 10, 2003
Hey I just have a question for the tech guru's.
Samsung makes the Exynos and in most benchmarks it comes across as a well-performing SoC suitable for mobile devices.

In fact early buzz was that the S3 was going to use the Exynos. But it seems Samsung went with Snapdragon instead. Was there a shortage or some kind of issue? Or is the Snapdragon cheaper?

Just curious and thank you!

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Qualcomm has the entire North America under its control. It is essentially a monopoly. Most consumers don't care what SoC they have, as long as it is fast. Snapdragon and Exynos variants perform quite similarly in benchmarks.

I did buy an international Exynos Note 4, as the SD 805 is inferior to the Exynos equivalent, though not by much.

If you ever want an Exynos Samsung device, it has to be bought overseas online. Then you are stuck with GSM.

I am a huge advocate of being able to choose an SoC in our phones. Imagine not having an AMD or Intel for x86, and only having 1. We need better competition!

Bouowmx

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2016
I'd imagine with the Samsung Galaxy S9, the Samsung vs Qualcomm processor issue will become an actual issue. Samsung Mongoose 3 and Qualcomm ARM Cortex-A75 derivative are very disparate in Geekbench 4.

Reactions: ZGR

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
Hey I just have a question for the tech guru's.
Samsung makes the Exynos and in most benchmarks it comes across as a well-performing SoC suitable for mobile devices.

In fact early buzz was that the S3 was going to use the Exynos. But it seems Samsung went with Snapdragon instead. Was there a shortage or some kind of issue? Or is the Snapdragon cheaper?

Just curious and thank you!

It could be because of issues with patent monopoly. I remember reading somewhere that Qualcomm has many patents on modem tech. There is also an ongoing antitrust suit with Qualcomm.