Samsung S23A700D OR Benq XL2420T What to Buy?

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
I being looking for the past month and I just can't deal with having to play every game limited to 60FPS due to screen tearing on my 60Hz monitor. Its a big investment but I'm sure it will be well worth it and I will be able to fully enjoy my new PC.

So lets get down to business. (Please read on)
NOTE: I don't care for 3D but the monitor has to be no smaller than 23"

Top budget is $350 and these are my best options.

Option #1
Samsung S23A700D 23" Refurb for $270 + 2 Year warranty (Its a must for me) $67.98.
The Total comes around $337 http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...FZGPPAodpk0AQg

Option #2
Benq XL2420T "New" from best buy for $350
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/benq-benq-24-widescreen-3d-ready-led-monitor-with-2ms-response-time-xl2420t-xl2420t/10198341.aspx?path=aca1bf7eb89887fba7a974c365b4659een02[/URL]

Now, warranty is a very important factor for me, that is the reason I would get the 2 year Square Trade warranty if I got the Refurb Samsung.
The BenQ would be NEW and only $15 more than the Samsung....but here is the catch. According to the Best Buy page from the Link above, the BenQ only has 1 year warranty, which is pretty crappy to be completely honest.

So I was wondering if you guys can confirm this? Because if BenQ only offers 1 year warranty on their $350 monitors then I'll just buy the Refurb Samsung and buy a 3rd party warranty such as Trade Square.

Are there any better options for me in the market within my budget?

Phil1977

Dec 8, 2009
Couple of pointers for discussion:

- Your current monitor is a 2ms TN, so already quite fast
- That Benq is a very very good monitor for games. Probably the best one
- 120 Hz won't get rid of tearing. Tearing happens because the GPU renders frames out-of-sync with the monitor
- To get rid of tearing enable v-sync
- v-sync introduces input delay which gets better the higher the refresh rate
When v-sync is enabled and the GPU's fps drops lower than the Hz of the screen (e.g. renders 100 frames on a 120 Hz screen), it cuts fps in half (drops to 60).
- Hence to get the full benefit (120 Hz with no tearing through v-sync) you have to have a system powerful enough to render 120+ frames all the time. Dropping from 120 fps to 60 fps is very noticeable and annoying.
- fps gamers play without v-sync because of the input delay
- Try if your monitor can handle 75Hz, play around with v-sync and see if the input delay bugs you

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Couple of pointers for discussion:

- Your current monitor is a 2ms TN, so already quite fast
- That Benq is a very very good monitor for games. Probably the best one
- 120 Hz won't get rid of tearing. Tearing happens because the GPU renders frames out-of-sync with the monitor
- To get rid of tearing enable v-sync
- v-sync introduces input delay which gets better the higher the refresh rate
When v-sync is enabled and the GPU's fps drops lower than the Hz of the screen (e.g. renders 100 frames on a 120 Hz screen), it cuts fps in half (drops to 60).
- Hence to get the full benefit (120 Hz with no tearing through v-sync) you have to have a system powerful enough to render 120+ frames all the time. Dropping from 120 fps to 60 fps is very noticeable and annoying.
- fps gamers play without v-sync because of the input delay
- Try if your monitor can handle 75Hz, play around with v-sync and see if the input delay bugs you

Well, for one I can't do 75Hz on my monitor. Second, I understand that I won't permanently get rid of screen tearing even at 120Hz but I believe that you are wrong in the idea that dropping from 120 fps to 60 fps on a 120hz is very noticeable. That's not what I heard. The whole point of getting a 120hz monitor would be so I can play my games above 60 Fps with out screen tearing, hence with no Vsync. I don't plan on buying a 120hz monitor just to enable Vsync at 60 again. If that's the case I might as well sell my gaming computer and buy a console for way less.

But thanks for feedback, I'll be looking around see what else I find.

Phil1977

Dec 8, 2009
I know gamers who have 120Hz screens and they all have dual or triple SLI to achieve constant 120+. But often game engines / console ports / driver issues throw a spanner in the works and the fps dips. And yes, it's VERY noticeable.

A 120 Hz screen, you'll notice just dragging windows and moving the mouse :)

Let us know how you go!