Discussion Samsung S10/S10+ News

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
Well, my prism white S10+ and wireless earbuds just came in! Charging it to 100% so I can migrate my stuff from the note 9. Looks and feels great. Comes with a pre-installed screen cover. Nice. Probably take it off after a while.
I got mine too,it's not really a screen protector. It kills sensativity. I tried it for a few minutes but when you take it off you'll notice it's just plastic.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
And the free wireless buds sound like ass. Putting mine up for sale.

They aren't the best. The included headphones are deff better than the bluetooth ones. The bluetooth ones will at least work for when I'll be mowing the lawn etc this summer.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Have you tried other wireless ones? I've thought about getting a pair for a little while now, but I'm wondering if any of them actually sound good.

I have the Altec Lansing Tru EVO and they sound miles better, at least to me. I use my wired MDR-V6 or ATH-M50X with a Fiio amp 95% of the time so its not a huge deal for me. I can probably get 100 bucks for em.

I received my shipping label to send in my Note 8 for the $550 off but I would rather send in my Pixel 3 for the same amount. Anyone know how I can get in contact with Samsung to switch?

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Received a biometric update this morning on the unlocked S10+ and it has sightly improved fingerprint detection. Need to test more to see if it's good vs the average experience I had yesterday.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
Received a biometric update this morning on the unlocked S10+ and it has sightly improved fingerprint detection. Need to test more to see if it's good vs the average experience I had yesterday.
I will say it's nice not having to wait for carrier's to update things.

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
So from a dozen or so unlocks today, the fingerprint is much improved. I don't have to mash my finger hard - just a gentle touch and it reliably unlocks.

Will see now it goes over time as my issue in the past has always been fresh fingerprints always working fine but getting worse over time and needing rescans every month.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
So from a dozen or so unlocks today, the fingerprint is much improved. I don't have to mash my finger hard - just a gentle touch and it reliably unlocks.

Will see now it goes over time as my issue in the past has always been fresh fingerprints always working fine but getting worse over time and needing rescans every month.
I received an update late last night. Today I remapped my prints and its almost instant now and I don't have to press hard anymore.

I do miss the LED notification tho. I understand why but it was always nice to have. I do like the fact that the whole screen doesnt turn on when you charge it now.

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
I installed a Gcam port and have to say - that night mode, even if not as good as on the Pixel, is pretty amazing. The pictures in super low light were almost twice as bright as the auto night mode on the stock camera.

The biggest downside is that it doesn't support the wide angle camera yet though hopefully that'll be added soon.

I have it setup so one click on the Bixby button opens the Gcam app and double tapping the home screen opens the stock camera app.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
The punch out for the camera took some getting used to. But then I set this to my wallpaper.
dc316843b6ce20ec61e47d7815c4edfb.jpg

Reactions: Oyeve

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
How have Samsung not been lambasted for the "hole punch" and "pill"?!! It's hideous.
IMO, those are much worse than the teardrop notch or most other types of notch on other phones. I will never buy any device that has this kind of cutout for the FFC. That whole area around the cutout seems wasted once they put that there, so they might as well just have a notch. And needing specific wallpapers just to hide it...WTF?!!
Is it just me?! Lol :D

Last edited:

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
It's tons better than a whole drop down section of the screen. The wallpapers are mostly meant to be comical. I don't even notice it most the time. It bothers me much less than I thought it would.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
How have Samsung not been lambasted for the "hole punch" and "pill"?!! It's hideous.
IMO, those are much worse than the teardrop notch or most other types of notch on other phones. I will never buy any device that has this kind of cutout for the FFC. That whole area around the cutout seems wasted once they put that there, so they might as well just have a notch. And needing specific wallpapers just to hide it...WTF?!!
I actually like the pill shape on my s10+. Way better than a stupid big ass notch. Plus, as proven, wallpaper make it witty.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Could not disagree more. I'd take an enormous notch over the cutout.

That said, I'd prefer to just not have a front facing camera altogether. I suspect I'm in the minority with that opinion, though.
Exactly. I'd rather have no FFC than these cutouts. I have a Note 9 currently and the top bezel with the FFC is so small already, and I don't lose a chunk of the screen! I really hope not all manufacturers go to this cutout or even notch idea.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Seems to really be just you. The community as a whole seems to actually be embracing the Infinity-O displays.

Reactions: Oyeve

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Seems to really be just you. The community as a whole seems to actually be embracing the Infinity-O displays.
Guess so. If this new style is the path going forward in the next 5 yrs or so then I will stand corrected that it is a good solution.

If this disappears after 2 or 3 yrs then I'll assume I was right :D