Samsung Pro Firmware Update

MoInSTL

Jan 2, 2012
Small update. "Improved compatibility with ultra-slim and mobile PCs". Magician notified me. Had me disable rapid mode, reboot and then updated FW after I clicked on the link. Took a couple of seconds.

code65536

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2006
The firmware update is for the 840 and 840 Pro--not just for Pro.

I wonder what that means exactly. How's an ultra-slim laptop different from a regular laptop (or even a desktop), as far as a SSD is concerned?

I did have problems with my 840 hanging during wakeup when I had it installed in a legacy C2D system that had an nVidia chipset (I suspected the drive's power management), but that the hangs went away when I transplanted it into a modern Ivy Bridge "ultra-slim" netbook. But I haven't had any problems with my "ultra-slim" system, so I don't know what this could be about.

Oh, how I long for Crucial's verbose and actually useful detailed breakdown of each version's fixes.

Coup27

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2010
I'd like to know more about exactly what this firmware fixes. I have about 15 840's running fine in white box PC's at work and although it's not a big job to update them, they've ran flawlessly for 9 months so...

Hellhammer

AnandTech Emeritus
Apr 25, 2011
Probably improved DevSleep support since that is a mobile only feature. I'll ping Samsung and see if I can get a more detailed answer.

code65536

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2006
I'd like to know more about exactly what this firmware fixes. I have about 15 840's running fine in white box PC's at work and although it's not a big job to update them, they've ran flawlessly for 9 months so...

I think it's something to do with power management. I did some Googling yesterday, and found a thread on the Lenovo forums about a 840 power management problem that was supposedly fixed by this update.

I saw in another thread claims that this update disables the DEVSLP power management feature (you should be able to check by looking at AIDA64 before and after).

And I've personally had issues with my 840 (when used on a particular legacy system) that were related to power management.

I haven't had a chance to update my 840 yet (which is now in a different system without any apparent issues), so I haven't been able to personally confirm the DEVSLP thing yet.

Edit: A minute too slow. ;)

Hellhammer

AnandTech Emeritus
Apr 25, 2011
The reply I received from Samsung:

The Devslp ready feature on our SSD's was developed based on the SATA interface standard regulation. A few PC manufacturers (Primarily Lenovo and Dell) altered and customized their SATA spec, leading to compatibility issues on some of their systems.

In other words, there is no reason to update unless you're running a Lenovo or Dell PC.

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
Samsung SSD Software is about usless if you are running the SSD off the Sata Controller in RAID Mode. That is whether the SDD is a Member or NOT a Member of a Raid Array.

It's about time Samsung woke up and updated their software.

PS: Remember to install the latest IRSP driver if your running an Intel ChipSet.

Last edited:

Turab

Dec 16, 2013
Thanks for bringing Samsung's answer, Kristian.

Agree with you on not to updating Magician.

Coup27

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2010
This is also for the EVO model, as I've been ignoring the update as well.
Are you sure? I have an EVO and the current firmware is EXT0BB6Q and this came out in December with the details:

- Support advanced data security features(TCG/Opal and IEEE 1667)
- Optimizing TurboWrite algorithm