Samsung mouse PS/2 conflicts with External modem (parallel port) please really need help on this one... so desperately..

stingbandel

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2000
Hi, I am having a big problem with my computer. I just bought a new mouse. It's Samsung that is PS/2 one. Before this, I used the logitech mouse ( not the PS/2 or the USB one but the older one, the serial one) and it never conflicted with my external modem (parallel port). Since I changed it to Samsung PS/2, the computer can't detect my modem. If I take off my mouse then the modem will work fineand vice versa. So what is wrong with it? Please I need help desperately since I need to get online with my comp. I am using my brother's comp to post this message. Thanks a lot for all the suggestions in advance.

Darno

nb: I am using Win Me.

I already posted this thread on the tech. support but no one answered so I hope someone will be able to help me right here...

Modus

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
First of all, I don't think there is such thing as a parellel port modem. It might exist, but I can't imagine why. Your modem is probably plugged into a serial port. If you have an older style AT case, it actually might look a lot like a parallel port, but if you examine it more closely you'll see that the pins are male instead of female.

Either way, it sounds like there is an IRQ conflict. You'll have to put either the PS/2 port or the modem port on a different IRQ. If your BIOS is not flexible and/or Windows won't cooperate, a simple solution is a PS/2 ---> serial adaptor for your mouse, which can be picked up for $5.

Modus

stingbandel

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2000
I am sorry, it's not a parallel but serial. I tried to use the connector to change the PS/2 to serial but the mouse couldn't work. The only way the mouse can work is by using the PS/2. So is there any other way to solve this... I am not sure it's the irq since windows can't detect the modem if I plug in the mouse tp PS/2. If I unplug the mouse from the PS/2 and plug the modem in then windows will detect the modem. Any other help please.. thanks

Darno

oldfart

Lifer
Dec 2, 1999
A PS/2 mouse MUST have IRQ 12 available for use. Is there something else using it? If there is, fix it so it isn't, then connect the PS/2 mouse.