Samsung HL-T5087S - 50" New Slim Depth LED Engine Widescreen DLP HDTV - 1080p

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
http://www.buy.com/retail/prod...53&dcaid=17653#cRevSec

Samsung HL-T5087S - 50" New Slim Depth LED Engine Widescreen DLP HDTV - 1080p - 10,000:1 Contrast Ratio - 16ms Response Time- Black - HLT5087S

Anyone got one of these or even a LED engine?

I notice that it's only 250Watt. Is that gonna be bright enough? This thing got really good reviews!

The good, Led (no warm up for lamp)... Leds tend to last a long time...

The Bad, no returns on this... So hopefully someone can tell me more about this new technology. Maybe I should wait a bit longer...

Thanks!

Side Note...

Samsung's new LED light engine replaces the arc lamp & color wheel design of previous DLP HDTVs, and realizes beautiful color. LED will last the life of the TV. Samsung LED DLP TVs eliminate the need to replace the consumable lamps every few years, and thus have less impact on the environment and on one?s wallet. Samsung's LED light engine makes possible an Ultra-Wide Color Gamut that exceeds the NTSC defined color space spec for richer color than you've seen before on TV. Samsung DLP HDTVs with an LED engine are more energy efficient than similar sized flat panel displays, and the lack of a moving color whell in the design means they perform with less noise than any previous DLP HDTV design.

Wow, no color wheel, They use three LED's RGB To do away with wheel hence no Rainbow effects....

Next Generation DLP Chips from Texas Instruments

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I haven't seen this model,but here is the owner's thread over on avsforums. With over 385 pages, you should find plenty of info.

That's a great price on that set, but you should find it locally before you buy it, so you can see it for yourself. I waited for the first version of Samsungs LED DLP set, and was disappointed with the brightness of the set. Hopefully that's since been improved.

erwos

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2005
For $1150, that looks completely awesome. DLPs are really a huge bargain at this point if you can live with them being a little bigger than comparable LCDs.

Some stuff I gleaned from the AVSForum thread:
1. Looks like a good scaler on-board, but nothing spectacular.
2. Has a gaming mode to reduce the input lag even more.
3. Has a 120hz refresh rate, supposedly, but there's some debate about what this really means (it could be in reference to wobulation). It does accept 1080p/24 inputs on the HDMI, though.
4. It's apparently _very_ bright, and doesn't suffer from the issues that the previous LED model had with brightness.
5. There's also the HL-T5089S, which is like this model, but has higher contrast (10k:1), HDMI 1.3 (lip-synch), USB 2.0, and Bluetooth A2DP support.
6. The response time is 16 _microseconds_.

This is definitely a contender for the TV in my upcoming home theater!

krotchy

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
Just FYI, Samsung is releasing the 2008 LED DLP's in April. However they only come in 61 and 67inch sizes. So this is going to be the smallest LED DLP you can get.

I personally would not consider any form of rear projection technology without some form of specialized long life bulb. These Samsung DLP's have them and so do the Panasonic LiFi DLP's. So if it sounds good to you, go for it. Just remember, DLP's suffer from worse viewing angles than LCD's and Plasmas.

However that wont stop me from getting the 61A750 or 67A750 in a few months :)

Oct 25, 2006
I bought the first Gen LED Samsung 61 DLP Panel last year and I love it. I'm sad that new models keep coming out though. Makes me feel outdated