Samsung Galaxy S4 rumors?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Software buttons like on the Nexus are much easier to use one handed than the hardware buttons that Samsung puts at the very bottom of their phones. So if they do remove the hardware buttons it will actually be easier to use one handed.

I do find software buttons too easy to accidentally activate though.

grkM3

Golden Member
Jul 29, 2011
Software buttons like on the Nexus are much easier to use one handed than the hardware buttons that Samsung puts at the very bottom of their phones. So if they do remove the hardware buttons it will actually be easier to use one handed.

Then whats the point of going to a 5in screen when the extra space is used for the soft keys.

Here is my wish list for the gs4

1.same size screen as gs3 but 1080P with a smaller shell
2.same layout buttons as gs3
3.stylus like the note but not make the cell have an uneven back so it lays flat.
4.micro sd slot and removable battery with around 2600mah
5.exynos 5 dual big little,we don't need quad A15s yet,2 a15s with 2 A7s and a tri core power vr gpu.

So make the footnote a little smaller than the current gs3 but make the sceen 1080p so people can use it a little better and keep the rest of the features the gs3 has now,I hope they don't get rid of the sd slot and stick to a removable battery.

Sticking with just 2 A15s would allow them to clock them higher also so imagine that phone running @2.1ghz full load and getting about a day battery life to boot.There is no 4 threaded apps and I don't even think android fully supports 4 threads or 4 cores yet and the video I posted with the guy trying to max the 4 a9 cores on the note 2 had like 7 flash videos playing at the same time and was hitting about 80% on all 4 cpus.

If Samsung times this right they can push a bunch of phones since there is no true 4 core A15 cell out yet and they can get this out in time before the ipone 5s and sell a crap load of them and then bust out the octo core with the note 3 and carry that over to the gs4 on a 22nm soc

edit pentile is fine also and I hope Samsung has a built in app that allows the user to adjust the colors,its not the screens fault its over saturated its how Samsung is calibrating the thing to fit there needs.There are apps that allows to adjust the saturation and if Samsung just upped it 10% from the get go you wouldn't have all the over saturated hate from people.

Last edited:

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Then whats the point of going to a 5in screen when the extra space is used for the soft keys.

Anything that would be full screen would/should take advantage of the additional screen size (movies, games, etc.).

I accidentally hit the hardware keys way, way, way more often then I have ever done with the software keys. They're too close to the edge of the phone so it's impossible not to touch them when reaching for the top of the screen.

grkM3

Golden Member
Jul 29, 2011
Anything that would be full screen would/should take advantage of the additional screen size (movies, games, etc.).

I never really watch movies and 90% of the time I think most people are surfing the net and on social media.I used to always hit the buttons on accident on my galaxy nexus and hated them.

Yes its great when watching movies but having a 4.8 with hardware buttons still gives more real estate

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I hope Samsung does away with that no apps 2 SD crap. Or is it Android that is limiting that?

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I never really watch movies and 90% of the time I think most people are surfing the net and on social media.I used to always hit the buttons on accident on my galaxy nexus and hated them.

Yes its great when watching movies but having a 4.8 with hardware buttons still gives more real estate

There's more to phones than web browsing and social media.

I really do not understand how people could repeatedly press the software keys by mistake. The hardware buttons are much easier to accidentally trigger.

grkM3

Golden Member
Jul 29, 2011

I really do not understand how people could repeatedly press the software keys by mistake. The hardware buttons are much easier to accidentally trigger.

That's funny how you say that when you justified that losing the real estate is ok because it goes away when watching movies and games.

Ill throw this back at ya lol.There's more to phones than movies and games

Iv had both and Im telling you I don't like them on the screen.Yeah I hit the bottom right softkey a few times when I first got my gs3 but that was because the cell size and I was used to the little smaller shell of the nexus so if Samsung can make the gs4 shell a little smaller then the gs3 people will have no isues hitting them by mistake.

the same thing will happen on the bigger screens as the phones will actually get so big that people will hit the software keys also.

the phones are just getting to big,I vote keep the 4.8

Last edited:

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Now I'm hearing rumours of 802.11ac. However, all of these rumours just are that. Rumours.

BTW, I'm not sure why some seem to be in the give-me-A15-or-give-me-death camp. A15 doesn't automagically make a phone better, and furthermore, pure A15 has been a struggle on the power utilization front.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
^ This

I am also a GS3 owner. I don't have large hands but I agree with your view. I'm surprised someone with large hands has this assessment as well. I feel with just a *little* bit longer fingers it'd be fine.. but there might be more to it than just having slightly larger hands. I have to actually shift/slide the phone in my hand to hit certain buttons.

I think it's made worse by the fact I'm left handed and the back button is quite the stretch for me.

For me, the GS3 is awkward to use, and over prolonged use it starts to hurt my hand.
Perhaps Steve Jobs had it right. For my next phone I'm going to get the iPhone5 or next iPhone if it doesn't have this size bloat going on in the Android market.

I can use a 2nd hand iPhone4S that I received very comfortably 1 handed. To be completely honest it's kind of a relief to pickup and use vs my GS3.

If I hold the phone in my left hand with my fingers wrapped around the right edge with enough grip to be secure, I can just get my thumb over to the back button by stretching. But the problem is that those two buttons at the bottom seem to be quite sensitive, and so if my palm gets too close to the menu button while I am reaching for the back button, things don't work so well.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
If I hold the phone in my left hand with my fingers wrapped around the right edge with enough grip to be secure, I can just get my thumb over to the back button by stretching. But the problem is that those two buttons at the bottom seem to be quite sensitive, and so if my palm gets too close to the menu button while I am reaching for the back button, things don't work so well.

Yep. That won't be a problem with software keys. Less reaching, less palm triggering.

Obsoleet

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2007

I can't even come close to doing that. Even with just resting the phone on my fingers using no grip on the phone, I have to shift the phone further up on my hand and then stretch my thumb over. It works but I rarely reach for the back button while out in public, because I could drop the phone easily with the slightest slip or nudge.

My wife doesn't mind using the phone two handed but I'm used to using my phone 1handed. If I have to use a phone 2 handed I might as well go even bigger. That's why I don't mind if the GS4 is larger, the GS3 is already a 2handed phone for me.

After using the GS3, while this is my first Android phone that functions properly, I'll be getting an iPhone for my next one. The GS3 blows you away in the store, but the cheap thrill of the larger screen wore off after using it for a while. I've also considered the GS3 Mini, but I've read mixed reviews on that (tho $300 unlocked is my idea of a good time).

I also found when I updated my phone to JB that Bejeweled 2 has graphical errors.. I'm guessing this sort of thing doesn't happen on iOS. I'm not a fan of either one, just saying I'm going in the other direction to what I feel is more elegant and well designed ('controlled', which is fine by me).

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Sticking with just 2 A15s would allow them to clock them higher also so imagine that phone running @2.1ghz full load and getting about a day battery life to boot.

NOOOOOOOO

I want that Octo so bad. I don't give a damn about the quad core, just the idea of multiple A15s in a BIG.little with a SGX gpu sounds like me true valentine! If they changed it now I bet that means Mali (or worse another go with Qualcomm) which would make me very sad.

JACKHAMMER

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999

Disagree x1000. I accidentally trigger the soft keys (back in particular) on my GS3 far more often then I have ever had on any of my android devices.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Disagree x1000. I accidentally trigger the soft keys (back in particular) on my GS3 far more often then I have ever had on any of my android devices.

The GS3 doesn't have soft keys...

The Nexus has soft keys. The GS3 has hardware buttons.

Chrono

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2001
Software buttons suck. I'm not liking seeing a bar going full across on the bottom of the screen. The physical home button is pretty nice actually.

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
Definitely prefer software buttons. The buttons can change appearance and orientation depending on the context of what is on the screen and how the phone is held. The buttons even move to the other side of the phone to ensure that they are at your right hand side no matter how you're holding the phone if you're holding it sideways. The buttons go away entirely at the whim of the app developer.

Obsoleet

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2007
I don't like the hardware buttons on my gs3 (and the lack of a border around the screen) because my hand accidentally pushes the edge of the screen at times, and I hit the hardware buttons accidentally because they are too close to the edge.

I like how my 4S is, with a border around the screen and 1 hardware button. The iPhone pretty much has always had design figured out.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I don't like the hardware buttons on my gs3 (and the lack of a border around the screen) because my hand accidentally pushes the edge of the screen at times, and I hit the hardware buttons accidentally because they are too close to the edge.

I like how my 4S is, with a border around the screen and 1 hardware button. The iPhone pretty much has always had design figured out.

I think the home button is too far down on the GS3. With a case it's very hard to push as it's right next to the case border. You have to curl your thumb or twist it at a weird angle, and if I do that I hit the back button too much. Pretty much all of my issues with the hardware buttons are because of the home button position. I'm not sure what they were thinking.

MrX8503

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2005

More people browse than watch videos though.

Why would hardware keys be easier to accidentally trigger compared to soft keys? You have to press down on a hardware button for it to activate.

I'm not a fan of the footer software keys because it takes up so much room for 3 buttons. It's even worse on tablets.

If there's going to be a bottom bezel anyway then they should use that space for a hardware button.

Last edited:

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
More people browse than watch videos though.

Why would hardware keys be easier to accidentally trigger compared to soft keys? You have to press down on a hardware button for it to activate.

I'm not a fan of the footer software keys because it takes up so much room for 3 buttons. It's even worse on tablets.

If there's going to be a bottom bezel anyway then they should use that space for a hardware button.

I'm talking about the menu and back buttons, which are hardware but aren't physical buttons you press in. Those are very easy to trigger especially when reaching for the top of the phone one handed. Try reaching for the back and menu keys one handed, one is not too bad but the other (depending on which hand you use) is not at all easy to reach with your thumb.

Software keys are the only way to increase screen size without increasing the device size, so media and games can take advantage while other uses would essentially remain the same size.

Last edited:

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
I think the home button is too far down on the GS3. With a case it's very hard to push as it's right next to the case border.

You wrap a case around the S3 and it might as well be a small tablet. My daughter got me a case with the phone for Christmas, but I quickly stopped using the case. I don't like carrying the phone around without physical protection, but honestly it's just too big and too awkward to use with a case wrapped around it.

MrX8503

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2005
I'm talking about the menu and back buttons, which are hardware but aren't physical buttons you press in. Those are very easy to trigger especially when reaching for the top of the phone one handed.

Software keys are the only way to increase screen size without increasing the device size, so media and games can take advantage while other uses would essentially remain the same size.

If you're talking about capacitive hardware buttons I don't like those either.

You can have software keys, I just think Google did a bad job at it.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
If you're talking about capacitive hardware buttons I don't like those either.

You can have software keys, I just think Google did a bad job at it.

I think they really need to adopt how MS does the charm menu or whatever it's called. Swipe in from the edge to show the buttons. Of course the problem with that is you now require two actions just to press home.