Samsung Galaxy S4 rumors?

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by Dumac, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Oyeve

Oyeve Lifer

And, a very very very important factor to me, which, if that pic is true, the volume buttons will continue to be on the left side! :)

2. zsdersw

zsdersw Lifer

That's what she said.

But yeah, it's also true of the Note/Note 2.

3. KeithTalent

KeithTalent Elite Member Administrator No Lifer
    Administrator

This sounds suspiciously like my new phone, however I will likely not be purchasing anything until the fall, so by that point I am hoping there will be new Windows and maybe even BB phones to consider at that point. Any Note 3 rumours yet?

KT

4. Red Storm

Red Storm Lifer

I just got the Note 2. :colbert:

5. Markbnj

Markbnj Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus

The first three sites I checked all said 1GB. Guess that's the European version.

Anyway, on getting used to the size: there's getting used to it, and then there are the hard physical limits. A good phone should be manipulable with one hand, imo, for all basic operations, and the S3 is nudging up against that limit in my view.

6. KeithTalent

KeithTalent Elite Member Administrator No Lifer
    Administrator

Haha, that's why I'm asking. I am very envious of Note 2 owners. It's a beautiful device and wish I had one, but I am assuming, or hoping anyway, a refresh will be out by this Fall. ^_^

KT

7. iahk

iahk Senior member

Note III rumors will start after Galaxy S 4 unveil. Since, historically, the Note hardware is based on the Galaxy S device released prior to it.

8. poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy Lifer

I hope those pictures are wrong. I don't like the SGS3 look.

9. lopri

lopri Elite Member

10. MrX8503

MrX8503 Diamond Member

11. DLeRium

DLeRium Lifer

Ugly picture. You need SOME bezel to not look fugly as crap.

Why is it that EVERY fan created picture of EVERY phone since the iPhone is some bezel-less ugly thing? Heck it's been like this even with old non touchscreen phones with the screen stretching to the edge of the device somehow.

12. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

You might be interested in this.

13. QueBert

QueBert Lifer

I had a Note and never got use to having to use 2 hands on it. Using 2 hands on a cell phone imho just doesn't feel natural. I chucked it out the window after 6 months.

14. Yongsta

Yongsta Senior member

There's an option for one handed operation (all the menu's are condensed and uses up only like 60 - 70% of the screen). I don't have the option on and have average sized hands but I can use it fine with one hand operation. I have a petite female friend with real small hands who uses the Note 2 with no issue.

15. Red Storm

Red Storm Lifer

The only thing you need some bezel for is useability, but I have no idea why you think minimal bezel is ugly. It makes everything (monitors, TVs, phones, tablets, etc.) look better.

16. lopri

lopri Elite Member

On a second look, the pic in the OP and the one from December look similar except the new leak (fake?) is somewhat slimmer.

17. lopri

lopri Elite Member

OK, there are a few more links in this article. Some specs seem foregone conclusions - meaning they are pretty much known at this point.

http://www.ddaily.co.kr/news/news_view.php?uid=100946

- 5" 1080p new AMOLED screen (the leaked picture seems no longer fake for the size, but no Korean site I've searched show that specific design)
    - New 28nm HKMG Exynos 5 (how many cores?)
    - New "touch" screen that doesn't require touching. Detects finger gestures above the screen. Doubles as a better proximity sensor to prevent accidental inputs, e.g. facial contacts (Sounds neat and less messy but what about accuracy?)
    - Wanted to deploy "true" wireless charging but due to the lack of industry standards Qi will make do this go round.
    - Koreans call SOC (System on Chip) AP (Application Processor)
    - etc.

#42 lopri, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  18. poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy Lifer

A 5 inch 1080p screen is fine with me even if it is pentile. I know I couldn't see the lack of subpixels at that density.

The Exynos 5 sounds perfect. All I really wanted was some A15 power, but a PowerVR GPU is a bonus.

Keep the other stuff you expect from a Galaxy S device (removable battery and micro SD slot) and that is a winner.

19. gorcorps

gorcorps aka Brandon

I won't hold my breath, but I really wish Samsung would stop fragmenting their hardware so much. The S3 was slightly better than the S2 variants, but it's still a mess of different internals. The US carrier models have 2gb ram, but the international 9300 only has 1gb ram. The US was on snapdragon but the 9300 is Exynos. The 9300 also doesn't have LTE, but neither does the T999 for T-mobile. The I939 (Chinese version) isn't quite the same dimensions as the others, so they need their own cases.

It's a mess.

20. zerocool84

zerocool84 Lifer

The reason for that mess is because LTE for the American market.

21. poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy Lifer

Agreed.

One thing I have really liked about my i777 is that since the guts are almost identical to the i9100 that now that its late in its life I still get great development support. I love using the international version's ROM with an international kernel. I wouldn't have had that option for the SGS3.

If the AT&T doesn't offer SGS4 with the same guts as the Int. version I will be very upset.

22. StrangerGuy

StrangerGuy Diamond Member

What does LTE got to do changing the entire SoC? They should have just stuck to one exact hardware spec for all variants...The only difference should only be the LTE baseband for the intended market.

23. s44

s44 Diamond Member

Qualcomm didn't offer the separate baseband yet at the time of release. I believe the iPhone 5 was the first phone to use it.

The Note 2 did use the separate Qualcomm baseband for all versions.

24. Obsoleet

Obsoleet Platinum Member

^ This

I am also a GS3 owner. I don't have large hands but I agree with your view. I'm surprised someone with large hands has this assessment as well. I feel with just a *little* bit longer fingers it'd be fine.. but there might be more to it than just having slightly larger hands. I have to actually shift/slide the phone in my hand to hit certain buttons.

I think it's made worse by the fact I'm left handed and the back button is quite the stretch for me.

For me, the GS3 is awkward to use, and over prolonged use it starts to hurt my hand.
    Perhaps Steve Jobs had it right. For my next phone I'm going to get the iPhone5 or next iPhone if it doesn't have this size bloat going on in the Android market.

I can use a 2nd hand iPhone4S that I received very comfortably 1 handed. To be completely honest it's kind of a relief to pickup and use vs my GS3.

25. Red Storm

Red Storm Lifer

Software buttons like on the Nexus are much easier to use one handed than the hardware buttons that Samsung puts at the very bottom of their phones. So if they do remove the hardware buttons it will actually be easier to use one handed.