Samsung Galaxy S4 rumors?

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Source, quoted below

We have some hot news for all those happy Samsung Galaxy owners. Samsung is going to announce the Galaxy S IV on March 15th...

The availability of the Galaxy S IV will be in the eastern countries from Europe first. Whole Europe and Asia are expected to receive the Galaxy S IV before the end of April. America, Australia and Africa will receive the Galaxy S IV around May / June.

The next Galaxy S is rumored to feature an Exynos 5 Octa (8-Core) CPU, Mali-T658 (8-Core) GPU, 4.99″ Super AMOLED Full HD Resolution Display, 2GB of RAM, 13 Megapixel Rear facing Camera capable of shooting 1080p Full HD Videos at 30FPS, 2 Megapixel front facing camera capable of shooting 720p HD Videos and running Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean out of the box.
I didn't know that there was an 8-core Exynos. 4 A15 and 4 A7? Weird.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
well if the galaxy S line is going to be as large as the galaxy note line, I'm going to be buying something else

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Yeah, I think that's too big. I love the screen on my S3, but it is right on the edge of being awkward to use, and I have pretty large hands. Also, 2 GB of memory? My S3 has 16. Is that the spec for a lower-end model of the S4?

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Yeah, I think that's too big. I love the screen on my S3, but it is right on the edge of being awkward to use, and I have pretty large hands. Also, 2 GB of memory? My S3 has 16. Is that the spec for a lower-end model of the S4?

Ram != storage

Piano Man

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Out of all the S4 rumors, the one that has me the most stoked is the rumored 3100mah battery. If that is true, then this could be great.

I just got an ip5 for work, and man, compared to my GNex, it has amazing batt. life. I love only having to charge it at night.

Yongsta

Mar 6, 2005

I went from an iPhone 4S to a Note2, I used to think that way but now when I look at every other phone besides the Note... they look puny. You get used to the size real fast.

ChronoReverse

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2004
I went from an iPhone 4S to a Note2, I used to think that way but now when I look at every other phone besides the Note... they look puny. You get used to the size real fast.

Yeah, I went from the 3.7" HTC G2 to the Note1 and I feel the same way now.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Out of all the S4 rumors, the one that has me the most stoked is the rumored 3100mah battery. If that is true, then this could be great.
I heard 2600. 3100 would be insane, Note 2 level.

Anyway, I think the OP is wrong in one aspect: AT already confirmed that Exynos "the Ocho" will have SGX on the GPU side, not Mali. Or was this one of the things Brian wasn't supposed to post about?

I suspect the render is also fake (they always seem to be), but if it's right that would explain the screen size change: going from hard to capacitive buttons would eat all of the 4.8"->5" screen difference.

Last edited:

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Looking at the performance of Nexus 10, tweaked Exynos 5 dual should be more than enough for a flagship phone. I would be more interested in GPU performance and newer, improved screen technology. (better colors, better endurance, better palm rejection, better proximity sensors, etc.)

4 x A15s sounds like a crazy idea on a phone at this stage. Even with whatever configuration w/ A7s.

Sep 29, 2004
5" screen? They are shooting themselves in the foot.

Nothing about this phone is going to make S3 owners run out and upgrade and others might be turned off by the size.

MrX8503

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2005
I didn't know that there was an 8-core Exynos. 4 A15 and 4 A7? Weird.

A15 is way too power hungry for a smartphone so the extra cores are backup low power cores. It's an 8-core, but it can only use 4 cores at any one time. It'll probably perform the same as other conventional quads.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2004
A15 is way too power hungry for a smartphone so the extra cores are backup low power cores. It's an 8-core, but it can only use 4 cores at any one time. It'll probably perform the same as other conventional quads.

There is a performance penalty for moving threads between cores. I hope they plan this correctly.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011

I would think that the battery life will see some improvement. Most of the time, the phone doesn't need to use the A15 cores, so if it can get the job done with the less power hungry A7 cores, the overall power consumption will be down.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
There is a performance penalty for moving threads between cores. I hope they plan this correctly.

This is so weird. It's either 4 A15 cores running or 4 A7 cores running? Why didn't they just make the core decrease its hertz instead of having 8 cores? I think its just for marketing purposes...

MrX8503

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2005
This is so weird. It's either 4 A15 cores running or 4 A7 cores running? Why didn't they just make the core decrease its hertz instead of having 8 cores? I think its just for marketing purposes...

Not sure. Maybe Samsung doesn't have the design chops like Qualcomm or Apple to design an efficient chip based off of A15. The extra 4 cores is their answer to the power draw dilemma.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Not sure. Maybe Samsung doesn't have the design chops like Qualcomm or Apple to design an efficient chip based off of A15. The extra 4 cores is their answer to the power draw dilemma.

Is this really Samsung's fault? I thought this BIG.little architecture was designed by ARM. Can manufacturers deviate from that design?

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
I am guessing -

5" 1080P AMOLED screen
8 core A15 + A7 CPU with the Mali GPU
2-3 GB of Ram
16-32-64-128GB Storage options
Multiple colors

I am also interested to see what Apple has up it's sleeve this year?

This should be a good year for phones.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
5" screen? They are shooting themselves in the foot.

Nothing about this phone is going to make S3 owners run out and upgrade and others might be turned off by the size.
Why? it will most likely be the same footprint as the sgs3. If they remove the horrible HW button they can use that space for the extra screensize and not sacrifice the total size. I for one am interested in the S4 as I have been happy with the s1 s2 and s3. It just keeps getting better.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Why? it will most likely be the same footprint as the sgs3. If they remove the horrible HW button they can use that space for the extra screensize and not sacrifice the total size. I for one am interested in the S4 as I have been happy with the s1 s2 and s3. It just keeps getting better.

This. Device size is the more important number, not screen size.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
From what I have heard I am happy. I want a SGX GPU after the SGS2 kinda burned me on Mali. I want a better screen than the GS3. I want A15 cores.

I think I will get everything I want.

Puddle Jumper

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009

It's not that simple and it remains to be seen exactly how Samsung's implementation will work. Additionally ARM seems to have at least partially mitigated any overheard associated with a dedicated interconnect between an A15 and it's associated A7 cores caches.

We will really need to wait for Anandtech or another site with similar technical knowledge to review a device with BIG little before we can judge it.

Keep in mind he has a financial incentive to cast as much doubt on Samsung as Android as possible in order to give BB10 more of a chance.