Samsung Galaxy S3 announced - 4.8", Quad Core Exynos (but with LTE?)

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by AkumaX, May 3, 2012.

1. lothar

lothar Diamond Member

I don't anticipate that happening either.

Why in the world would Samsung want to do that on a Nexus? That would completely steal the thunder from their own Galaxy series phones. If they do that for the next Nexus, what could they possibly announce for their Galaxy S IV to convince people to buy it four months later?
    Also, I don't see why Google would agree to that. Making the most technology advanced phone on the planet isn't magically going to get it into more people's hands besides us technology geeks here maybe. Making a $400 Nexus device would however, like how the Galaxy Nexus is currently being sold for $400 at the Play Store.

All you people clamoring for dual core A15 Exynos in phones this year...Sorry to break your hearts, but it's just not going to happen. I think I've been saying that for 2-3 months here now, well before the Galaxy S III was previewed/demoed last week.

Time to post my secret which has been publically available everwhere for ever:

[​IMG]

2. ITHURTSWHENIP

ITHURTSWHENIP Senior member

I think people have misunderstood how the Nexus line works. Google starts out with choosing the chip manufacturer that they want to work together with on their next OS. Then they pick the OEM that manufactures the phone. Its not up to Samsung what kind of processor it will have. And Nexus is a reference phone for developers so its not exactly smart to have developers using a 2GHz Cortex A15 phone when trying to develop apps for the 200+ million phones already out there with older hardware.

My guess would be next Nexus uses OMAP4470 if they continue with TI or Snapdragon S4.

3. ilkhan

ilkhan Golden Member

They wouldn't, which is why I said "if". Such a phone is unlikely as a nexus. Google has no reason to want such top-end proprietary hardware in a nexus phone. krait S4 pro and a mid-size 720p are far more likely.

4. dagamer34

dagamer34 Platinum Member

I don't think Google is going to be making any more exclusive deals with Verizon since they have a mind of their own in terms of the devices they want to push/carry and that's heavily slanted towards Motorola. Even now, they hardly advertise the Nexus when the RAZR gets all the love from the carrier.

I predict we may see the first Nexus device sold directly from AT&T at the end of the year. Every other carrier has had one so far.

5. ITHURTSWHENIP

ITHURTSWHENIP Senior member

6. Puddle Jumper

Puddle Jumper Platinum Member

Gotta love At&t, the international model of a phone get's updates 6+ months faster than the At&t version with identical hardware yet somehow that's Google's fault. Heck in the case of the Galaxy S the Verizon and Sprint models also got Gingerbread faster than the At&t one.

At&t's CEO is either a moron, liar, or more than likely all of the above.

#206 Puddle Jumper, May 9, 2012
    Last edited: May 9, 2012
  7. lothar

lothar Diamond Member

They could also go back to T-Mobile and stick to making pentaband phones.

8. poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy Lifer

9. sciwizam

sciwizam Golden Member

10. dagamer34

dagamer34 Platinum Member

I don't see why that would matter, they've never sold a Nexus on contract before, and there isn't a HSPA+/LTE version of the Galaxy Nexus for AT&T to actually be interested in. And I think they skipped over the Nexus S for a long time because of the time investment they put into the Motorola Atrix.

11. ponyo

ponyo Lifer

12. stormkroe

stormkroe Golden Member

That chart already slipped a notch. Quad a9 unfortunately didn't come paired with mali 604. Wonder how much more it'll slip?

13. antef

antef Senior member

Haven't you noticed, that is the majority of the "reviews" on tech blogs for things like this nowadays. 99% are worthless garbage. The "review" is basically a glorified spec sheet with filler words to make the author feel smart. No real objective and independent analysis of using the device, pros/cons, living with the device day to day, etc. You know, the things that actually matter to a consumer. They will call a phone like the S3 awesome simply because they and their readers expected it to be, nevermind any actual glaring problems it (or any other device) may have.

14. MrX8503

MrX8503 Diamond Member

Is there plastic on the front of the phone? I read the preview on Engadget and the wording was odd.

15. zerogear

zerogear Diamond Member

Front oh the phone is gorilla glass

16. Bateluer

Bateluer Lifer

You're not going to get a review like that until the device actually ships.

Of course, any review or write up that shows a non-Apple device with better numbers than an Apple device is automatically suspect, biased and bought off.

17. sciwizam

sciwizam Golden Member

I think it's actually Gorilla Glass 2.

18. antef

antef Senior member

No, this sadly applies to released devices, as well. The reviewers never focus on the stuff that actually matters (like broken multitasking).

19. kaerflog

kaerflog Golden Member

Probably will be Gorilla Glass 2.
    I'm pretty sure HTC One X/S uses GG2.
    I couldn't figure out why the images on my One S look so much better than other phones.
    I compared it to an Amaze and its pretty obvious the LCD is much closer to the screen oppose to the Amaze.
    GG2 is 20% thinner so it all made sense.

20. AkumaX

AkumaX Lifer

page 3 already? sheesh..

so did we figure out if this thing's getting quad core w/ LTE? or a dual core silicone for replacement? i know s. korea's pushing LTE also, so...

21. Puddle Jumper

Puddle Jumper Platinum Member

That's not due to gorilla glass 2, the One S has a Super AMOLED display which dosn't have a visible gap between the outer glass and the display like many older phones do. Apple and Samsung have both been doing this with their displays for the last couple of years but I think the One series are the first HTC devices to be built that way.

22. Axon

Axon Platinum Member

I'd also like to know this. I had heard that USA was getting a dual core with LTE version. Buty? All in all, something is darn funky about this phone, and my initial excitement has worn off.

23. NikolaeVarius

24. kaerflog

kaerflog Golden Member

I'm starring at my One S and IP4 right now and the display on the One S is definately closer to the glass.
    I also had a GSII and the display was not as close to the glass as the One S.

25. krumme

krumme Diamond Member