Samsung Galaxy S3 announced - 4.8", Quad Core Exynos (but with LTE?)

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000
Anyone think almost every single one of these new "features" can be implemented on SGS2? -- Taking a page from Apple I see.

Oct 25, 2006
Eye tracking probably not. Even the Nexus S didn't have face unlock because the front camera was too weak to accurately unlock the phone.

Pop up play- Not sure. Would be a giant question over CPU horsepower

The rest, probably pretty likely

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Eye tracking probably not. Even the Nexus S didn't have face unlock because the front camera was too weak to accurately unlock the phone.

Pop up play- Not sure. Would be a giant question over CPU horsepower

The rest, probably pretty likely

I think the front camera on both the s2 and s3 are pretty similar. I'd guess its not eye tracking but just using very rough facial recognition.

Pia

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
Sounds like Tasker is what you're looking for. I have all kinds of power-saving functions set up on my Nexus.
I'll have to take a look. It's unfortunate that there are not charging/not-charging options to begin with - after all, Windows and OS X have had them for ages, and it seems such an obvious thing.

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
Anyone think almost every single one of these new "features" can be implemented on SGS2? -- Taking a page from Apple I see.

You do know that Siri uses dedicated hardware from Audience in the A5 for far field noise reduction right?

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
That's not a feature unique to Apple, the Samsung Captivate also had that Audience hardware.

I'm not saying its unique to Apple, I'm saying the iPhone 4 didn't have the version of the chip meant for speaking with the phone in front of you instead of near your face.

teatime0315

Nov 18, 2005
skipped gs2 because of the shitty audio chip. but now rumor has it the gs3 is using the wolfson chip from the sg1 :). do want

Pia

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
skipped gs2 because of the shitty audio chip. but now rumor has it the gs3 is using the wolfson chip from the sg1 :). do want
I also shunned gs2 for that reason, but in hindsight I don't care that much. At least with my mobile use profile, environment noise and microphonic noise dominate, so if I eventually get high quality Bluetooth in-ears, that might even sound better in the real world than a wired solution with good chip. Plus convenience.

Shame on Samsung for putting a bad analog out on the Galaxy Note dock, though. It is *really* bad according to some review, noticeably worse than the headphone out on the phone itself. I wouldn't be using that output anyway, but on a 35 euro accessory whose only functions are to pass-through USB power for charging and give an extra analog out, there's no excuse for the sound being bad. I can easily see many people wanting to use the docked phone as their main music-playing device.

Axon

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2003
So are people pissed because this is just a tick rather than a tock? Or is it because the phone has a little bit of that femme feel to its aesthetic design?

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
So are people pissed because this is just a tick rather than a tock? Or is it because the phone has a little bit of that femme feel to its aesthetic design?

People are upset because the Galaxy Nexus is closer to the GS III than the Nexus S was to the GS II, thus they feel little reason to get the GS III (especially if they really wanted ICS, they would have a Nexus by now).

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005

With SGS2:

Screen- best on the planet at the time unless resolution is your only priority then second best to iPhone 4

SoC- Best overall in a phone at time of release, best Android SoC until Tegra 3 in Dec. 2011

SGS3:

Screen- Already bettered by One X, comparable to now old GNex screen

SoC- GPU is there, but CPU component to be quickly bested by S4 and A15 tech.

Puddle Jumper

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
People are upset because the Galaxy Nexus is closer to the GS III than the Nexus S was to the GS II, thus they feel little reason to get the GS III (especially if they really wanted ICS, they would have a Nexus by now).

The SGS3 is still substantially more powerful than the Galaxy Nexus, even the S2 has a vastly superior gpu vs the GNexus.

Axon

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2003
With SGS2:

Screen- best on the planet at the time unless resolution is your only priority then second best to iPhone 4

SoC- Best overall in a phone at time of release, best Android SoC until Tegra 3 in Dec. 2011

SGS3:

Screen- Already bettered by One X, comparable to now old GNex screen

SoC- GPU is there, but CPU component to be quickly bested by S4 and A15 tech.

I suppose I'll have to see the S III's screen in person, but I just looked at the HTC One X and the Galaxy S II something or other near each other, and the One X was significantly better.

I feel like the pack has caught up to Samsung a bit, and expecting a revolution each time isn't practical. At least it has an SD card slot. :)

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
The test for this phone is a real usage pattern. And subjective test will be needed.

Fx.
If the A9 is fast enough in this implementation, they are power gated, have better frequency granularity why would you sacrifice battery for a beefy A15 you dont need?
Keeping a big frontend running cost a lot power.

If the pentile display is just sharp enough, why have non pentile if it cost battery?

- why not focus on other places? be it technical and software

I think the critique of this phone is completely misguided by the geeks, and quite contrary from the superlatives i read on the normal media. Its like its different worlds.

What i wanted from this phone, that i did not get, it was an even smaller phone with the same screen size, and an even lighter and thinner one ! - just more of the same that this phone excells in. I absolutely dont need resolution and speed i can not use, and a heavy brick of iron, or some exotic material wrapped around a small non replacable battery.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Report back your findings.

I went around. They all look equally good, however I was not able to edit brightness settings. I'd like to think they set everything to look as nice as possible before locking the phone.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I went around. They all look equally good, however I was not able to edit brightness settings. I'd like to think they set everything to look as nice as possible before locking the phone.

So you forgot your 230x microscope? :colbert:

ilkhan

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2006
I think the critique of this phone is completely misguided by the geeks, and quite contrary from the superlatives i read on the normal media. Its like its different worlds.
Geek needs are arguably distict from media needs.
Media needs vague headline grabbing specs and don't care about specifics.
Geeks needs the specifics to be there and don't care about headlines.

Media "Quad core!"
Geeks "Dual core A15 is faster than quad core."

Media "720p!"
Geeks "Pentile sucks."

As I've said elsewhere the 1080p rumors were ridiculous (equivalent to saying it would have a quad core A15), but the 720p HD+ was realistic and expected. EVERYBODY expected next gen (meaning 720p without pentile) display tech, so its automatically a let-down from realistic spec rumors.

Crazy: Quad A15 , 1080p
Realistic: Dual A15, 720p HD+
Let-down: Quad A9, 720p HD [pentile]

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000

Media "Quad core!"

Media "720p!"
Geeks "Pentile sucks."

As I've said elsewhere the 1080p rumors were ridiculous (equivalent to saying it would have a quad core A15), but the 720p HD+ was realistic and expected. EVERYBODY expected next gen (meaning 720p without pentile) display tech, so its automatically a let-down from realistic spec rumors.

There's nothing realistic about expecting Samsung to release a dual core A15 this year for their Galaxy branded phones.

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
The SGS3 is still substantially more powerful than the Galaxy Nexus, even the S2 has a vastly superior gpu vs the GNexus.

Performance requires benchmarks, screen comparisons only require working eyes. And most people wouldn't consider the Galaxy S II to be slow, so at some point, performance becomes "good enough" to most people.

ilkhan

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2006
There's nothing realistic about expecting Samsung to release a dual core A15 this year for their Galaxy branded phones.
It would have been a stretch but not impossible. IIRC they said production in Q2. Q3/Q4 is realistic for a dual core A15 from Samsung.

Put it this way, if the Nexus4 really is Samsung and they wanted to blow it out of the water, Dual core A15 + 720p HD+ on a Nexus device would be the way to do it.

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005

Media "Quad core!"

Media "720p!"
Geeks "Pentile sucks."

When I look back at it, pumping out a 720p Super AMOLED+ HD display would mean having basically two display upgrades within a period of a year, which doesn't make that much business sense.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009

Media "Quad core!"

Media "720p!"
Geeks "Pentile sucks."

Sometimes i think its the geeks who just talks headlines. You fail to answer why a A15 is absolutely so nessesary and the same for non pentile at that resolution.

To put it into perspective.
Samsung aparently did some software optimizations, that perhaps is just - or a part - so important as the a9-a15 step.

Now who says A9 hkmg at this stage of the 32nm life cycle is not - by far - the most balanced solution for most needs? - i fail to see any evidence of the contrary. The benchmarks just show a very fast device, and everyone who have used it, says its absolutely fluent. What do you want,- results or a A15 label?

The headline of pentile or A9 covers so many nuances the whining about A9 and pentile just mirrors the headline shouting in the media.

Do anybody here think we needed non pentile at 720 before better colour rendition on the oled?

Or A15 before the cores was power gated and had fine individual power granularity on a completely new process node?

Geeks should be clever than shouting just headlines.

Last edited: