Samsung Galaxy S3 announced - 4.8", Quad Core Exynos (but with LTE?)

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by AkumaX, May 3, 2012.

1. T_Yamamoto

T_Yamamoto Lifer

Quad core you say?

Meh. Don't care.

2. krumme

krumme Diamond Member

Well the buyers dont think to agree with you. They bought the S2 in huge numbers.

For the S3, there was a positive reaction on the market to the S3 -> Apple share price went down.

We will have to see, i guess the next ip will be more like this S3, because its hard to imagine Samsung did this without doing some serious market research and apple must get the same data.

3. Mopetar

Mopetar Diamond Member

If Samsung knows what the next iPhone will look like it's because they make so many of the components for it that they can't help but know. I seriously doubt Apple does any kind of market research when thinking about how to design their next phone and they're well known for not using focus groups for their products and designs. I somehow doubt any amount of market research done by Samsung would let them figure out what Apple's next phone will look like.

4. bearxor

bearxor Diamond Member

I don't disagree that the GSII is popular, but you do understand that the iphone outsells any one paticular model of smart device just about everywhere, right?

5. Dari

Dari Lifer

Are you serious? Men don't want what women want. Women want what men want. The minute the GS3 is seen as a woman's phone, men will stop buying it. History is littered with examples, the last tech one being the Palm Pre.

6. Dulanic

Dulanic Diamond Member

I was want to point out the stupidity of that comment. There is 1 model per carrier for the SGSII vs 1 model over every carrier for iPhone... so ummm DUH. How can anyone ever expect to compare sales on a model name level when it is completely apples to oranges.

7. runawayprisoner

runawayprisoner Platinum Member

8. NikolaeVarius

I'm going to go ahead and say that you need to calm down and think before you post dumb things.

And possibly think about why the brightnesses of each panel seems completely off from one another.

9. shortylickens

shortylickens No Lifer

Saw plenty of people posting links, but heres an actual list (from Gizmodo).

Android Tweaks
    As mentioned before, Samsung’s overhauled ICS with some nifty new TouchWiz tricks. These include:
    - Smart Stay, which uses the forward-facing camera to determine if you’re looking at the phone. You can set time intervals from as little as 15 seconds, which result in a small flashing eye logo in the Android notification bar. If it recognises that your eyes aren’t focused on the phone anymore, the screen dims.
    - Direct Call, which will auto-dial a contact if you have their contact details or a message open. By moving the phone to your ear, the proximity sensor; accelerometer and gyroscope all kick into use, and automatically dial the contact’s number.
    - Smart Alert, which will make the phone vibrate in your hand and flash an LED if you pick the phone up after a missed call.
    - S Voice, which is a Siri-like voice recognition feature, that you can use to enquire about the weather; take a photo (“Hi Galaxy, please take a photo” to open the camera app, or “cheese” to snap it), and other tasks such as locking the phone, or controlling music. Each demand can be configured by the user.
    - Social Tag, which links photos of friends in your photo gallery to their Facebook or Google+ accounts, using facial recognition.
    - S Beam, which pairs other Galaxy S III phones (and only them, for now) via NFC, shares photos, videos, files or even albums of media over Wi-Fi. If your friend’s S III doesn’t have Wi-Fi enabled, S Beam will automatically turn that user’s Wi-Fi on, and then off.
    - AllShare Cast, which pairs to TVs, laptops or tablets over Wi-Fi, mirroring whatever’s on the S III. You can also use the S III as a game controller.
    - PopUp Play, which will literally pop a video out of its player, rendering it in a small thumbnail so you can continue watching while surfing the web or doing other functions on the phone. The thumbnail is movable around the display, even if it’s pretty small.

10. runawayprisoner

runawayprisoner Platinum Member

I don't think the brightness has anything to do with the supposedly smaller red subpixel on the GS3 as opposed to the G Nex, does it?

And I'm sure many would agree that the One X has the better screen.

11. shortylickens

shortylickens No Lifer

I wont.

Those pics are looking at individual subpixels. I havent done that since my 320x240 monitor back Ye Olden Days. Would need a freakin magnifying glass to do that with my phones.
    With modern gadgets I usually hold the device at arms length and use it normally. No need for me to worry about the subpixels.

12. ponyo

ponyo Lifer

What, you don't look at your phone through microscope at 230x zoom? I thought that's how everyone looked at their phone.

13. zerocool84

zerocool84 Lifer

Places have already said it looks better than the screen on the GNex.

14. krumme

krumme Diamond Member

Obviously there is a great deal of push for this kind of technology, and especially for Apple as this is their strongest side - telling people what to think - but we are years into the lifecycle in the IP area - what is there to invent and tell now?. There is evaluation now for the tried concepts. The market is starting just in small bites to turning red.

Samsung have an oportunity that Apple not have, and that is to manufature the best phone within what is defined as best. And i bet they use that oportunity now.

What Apple is looking for is de redefine what is needed. Unfornately for them Siri didnt have the impact it could have had - or perhaps will have. But Apple will always come with something -semi- new and make it the standard. They are the innovator.

The IP5 better show something really new, or Apple will have to show something completely different. They have shown they can do both.

15. krumme

krumme Diamond Member

When did you use a microscope the last time you looked at your phone?

The people who actually have looked at the screen all says its sharp and just gorgeous.

16. Dulanic

Dulanic Diamond Member

^

Not to mention different color pixels put off different amounts of brightness especially in OLED, this could just as likely because of the different amounts of brightness for each color. Looking at a sceen in this manner means absolutely nothing. How bout we wait for real reviews of the screen? From what we've heard so far it is similar to the nexus but somewhat improved.

17. Headcase_Fargone

Headcase_Fargone Senior member

I'm no Samsung hater or fanboy (The GNexus is the first phone of theirs I've owned and I'm happy with it) but does this list sound gimmicky to anyone else? I honestly can't imagine ever using a single one of these "features." In fact, I can see a few of them being very annoying if nothing else.

18. Red Storm

Red Storm Lifer

I know right, I never walk into a Verizon store without one!

[​IMG]

19. Oyeve

Oyeve Lifer

And the world still spins on it's axis.

20. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

I think I'd probably use smart stay, direct call, smart alert and allshare (recently discovered that on my SGS2 and it's great for accessing all the files on my WHS). The first 3 seem really transparent to the end user.

21. shortylickens

shortylickens No Lifer

*** it. Today I'll go to the verizon store and see them next to each other. Good a way as any to check the screens. On the way back I'll hit up Tmobile and AT&T. Not quite as good as a side-by-side, but if one is clearly better than the other it will stick out.

22. Oyeve

Oyeve Lifer

Report back your findings.

23. ilkhan

ilkhan Golden Member

The only one on that list that sounds useful is S Beam, just to do ad-hoc phone->phone transfers. But since its SGSIII to SGSIII only, its useless until its ported into AOSP and becomes an actual standard, probably in JB.

24. Pia

Pia Golden Member

SmartStay sounds good to me if it works and actually prevents the screen dimming when you don't want it to dim.

That said, what I'd want even more on my Galaxy Note is separate power saving options for when the phone is in the dock or otherwise being charged. There seem to be "keep screen on" functions in individual apps, but occasionally like in Samsung's built-in clock application they are deficient. When the clock's stopwatch function is running, it keeps the screen on, but when timer function is running it does not. (And even the stopwatch allows the screen to dim.) A global option would fix this.

Direct Call may only save one keypress, but it's exactly the kind of thing "smart" phones should do routinely to deserve the name.

25. Headcase_Fargone

Headcase_Fargone Senior member

Sounds like Tasker is what you're looking for. I have all kinds of power-saving functions set up on my Nexus.