Samsung Galaxy S3 announced - 4.8", Quad Core Exynos (but with LTE?)

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

stevenpro

May 5, 2012
I expected a bit more from Galaxy S3, from its display to be exact. I hoped that it will Super AMOLED Plus but it's just Super AMOLED but hope that Samsung knows what they are doing and it will be a bit better display than Galaxy Nexus has.
Great article about Galaxy S3 display and how "bad" it is: http://crazytechlab.com/samsung-galaxy-s3-display-sucks/

Last edited:

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Saw this article over at Android Police that might explain the design of the S3. No idea if it's true, but it is some interesting analysis.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Thats the one thing I really miss leaving Android, the multicolored LED telling me what was going on.
My HD7 has one but it only indicates if charging or battery dead. Its also the only time I miss clamshells with external displays.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
They keep saying it's butt ugly but I think it's a very good looking device.

Yeah this. Its pretty much all screen with minimal bezel.

Even the white version looks pretty good.

5SbD5.jpg

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000
Did they announce pricing yet? I think ill decide this or gnex based on price

Right now the only thing that is keeping me away from it is no 32gb ver nor SD card

Last edited:

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
They keep saying it's butt ugly but I think it's a very good looking device.

For one, I think that just about anything in white looks terrible on a phone. The only white phone I've actually thought looked okay was the HTC One X. What really kills it for the S3 is the metallic band with the white color. The other model has the the hideous brushed metal effect going on. Something about the design of the S3 just doesn't set right with my brain. It could certainly be worse, but that's not really saying much.

runawayprisoner

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2008
Did they announce pricing yet? I think ill decide this or gnex based on price

Right now the only thing that is keeping me away from it is no 32gb ver nor SD card

I think it'll take real pixie dusts and and unicorn tears, the kind even Apple does not have access to, for Samsung to be able to price a quad-core Cortex A9 device on par or cheaper than a $399 dual-core Cortex A9 device.

It's a damn shame, but I think going quad-core A9 at this time of the year just doesn't make any sense. Not to say that it's bad, but it's pretty evident that Tegra 3 should have been the only chip to carry such a CPU config.

ilkhan

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2006
I expected a bit more from Galaxy S3, from its display to be exact. I hoped that it will Super AMOLED Plus but it's just Super AMOLED but hope that Samsung knows what they are doing and it will be a bit better display than Galaxy Nexus has.
I think everybody expected SAMOLED HD+ for the screen. Not having it is a major disappointment.

I think it'll take real pixie dusts and and unicorn tears, the kind even Apple does not have access to, for Samsung to be able to price a quad-core Cortex A9 device on par or cheaper than a $399 dual-core Cortex A9 device.

It's a damn shame, but I think going quad-core A9 at this time of the year just doesn't make any sense. Not to say that it's bad, but it's pretty evident that Tegra 3 should have been the only chip to carry such a CPU config.
The 4412 is a die shrink as well as quad core. It wouldn't surprise me at all to be less than 10% larger than a 4210 was. Tegra3 is 40nm. 4412 is 32nm. Krait is 28nm.

Last edited:

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000

I'm not implying tthat it'd be cheaper. Just relative to how much north will be deciding factor. Although Xperia GX sure is tempting......

386DX

Feb 11, 2010
Saw this article over at Android Police that might explain the design of the S3. No idea if it's true, but it is some interesting analysis.

Sounds like pure speculation to me imo. Everything they mentioned about the S3 applies to the Galaxy Nexus. The only difference is the Galaxy Nexus had more border ontop then the bottom which is obviously due to not having hardware buttons. I think the design decision to make these little things asymetrical is more to give subtle clues about orientation of the phone. I've own the original Galaxy S and had a Galaxy Nexus as well and they were dead easy to figure out which end was the top due to the "hump" at the bottom of those phones, you could pull the phone out of your pocket and have it oriented the right way in your hand just by touch. With the S3 and no hump that's gonna be harder to do the subtle difference in curves and possibly the weight distribution is all the user is going to have to go by.

Regarding the S3 display being pentile. I think people are making a big deal about it. The two points critics always brings up about pentile is the "jagginess" and/or the graininess (screen door effect) when displaying solid colors. Having owned the Galaxy Nexus and the Galaxy S I can tell you that both are true on the Galaxy S but on the Galaxy Nexus you don't see jagginess the PPI is high enough that it's not a factor although the graininess is still there. However as Anandtech's preview mentioned Samsung seems to have fixed the graininess issue with the S3 screen so that makes the pentile argument a moot point. One thing I do hope they improve on the S3 screen is the brightness... the Galaxy Nexus brightness was just horrible imo.

I'd admit I was a bit disappointed by the S3 announcement but its still clearly gonna be at the top end of the phone chain. While the specs may not be rival destroying I think its going to be the little things that haven't been mentioned that will make the S3 a bigger improvement over the S2. Specifically while the camera is still 8 mp its suppose to be using a newer sensor with BSI, this should be a big improvement over the S3 in low light situations. Another thing I notice is the speaker... while the S2 had two tiny slits for speakers on the S3 it looks like the speaker (or at least the grill) is significantly bigger. Hopefully this translates into better and louder audio which is again one of those things that don't get mentioned alot but in real world usage its important (one of the reasons I sold my Galaxy Nexus).

For all the people who are disappointed by the S3 reveal maybe Samsung can come through when the NA model is announced and treat us with a pair of dual core Cortex A15 Exynos with Mali T604 GPU since in the Exynos promotional video that was the other CPU that was mentioned besides the 4412 that's in the International S3.

ilkhan

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2006
Sounds like pure speculation to me imo. Everything they mentioned about the S3 applies to the Galaxy Nexus. The only difference is the Galaxy Nexus had more border ontop then the bottom which is obviously due to not having hardware buttons. I think the design decision to make these little things asymetrical is more to give subtle clues about orientation of the phone. I've own the original Galaxy S and had a Galaxy Nexus as well and they were dead easy to figure out which end was the top due to the "hump" at the bottom of those phones, you could pull the phone out of your pocket and have it oriented the right way in your hand just by touch. With the S3 and no hump that's gonna be harder to do the subtle difference in curves and possibly the weight distribution is all the user is going to have to go by.
Regardless of how I put it in my pocket, my T989 always comes out top first. Its annoying. :(

smartpatrol

Mar 8, 2006
Sounds like pure speculation to me imo. Everything they mentioned about the S3 applies to the Galaxy Nexus.

I remember reading speculation that the Galaxy Nexus and ICS were designed to not infringe on Apple's patents as well.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Yeah this. Its pretty much all screen with minimal bezel.

Even the white version looks pretty good.

5SbD5.jpg

Once the first beautifull woman steps into a cafe with this slim light phone, - white, curved, with popping colours, every other woman will want one too.

It will sell like hotcakes.

Apple needs to radically change their stupid male industrial boxy design, or they will lose market share faster than they gained it the last 5 years.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Once the first beautifull woman steps into a cafe with this slim light phone, - white, curved, with popping colours, every other woman will want one too.

It will sell like hotcakes.

Apple needs to radically change their stupid male industrial boxy design, or they will lose market share faster than they gained it the last 5 years.

Ummm, the current selling rate of those boxy male designs would indicate no. They are doing just fine.

They needed to be fashionable when they were introduced so people would take the plunge. Now that they are addicted to their apps, they wont be dropping the things just cuz of a case design.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Ummm, the current selling rate of those boxy male designs would indicate no. They are doing just fine.

They needed to be fashionable when they were introduced so people would take the plunge. Now that they are addicted to their apps, they wont be dropping the things just cuz of a case design.

No, especially the S2 broke the accelerating market share advance Apple had.

Look at the picture!

There is no way a woman want a iphone 4 when the one next to her have this curved design. The ip4 is a brick, that ironically sometimes happens to brake if you drop if, and the few aps womens have, is easily the same on android.

Apple have to take care - its sheeps - and they follow trend and design before brand. They dont care about who make it. Like: Its a phone, - I am important :)

smartpatrol

Mar 8, 2006
iPhone 4/4S look 100x more beautiful and elegant than that turd. You're fooling yourself if you think women will go gaga over a 4.8" phone with a fake plastic "brushed metal" exterior.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
iPhone 4/4S look 100x more beautiful and elegant than that turd. You're fooling yourself if you think women will go gaga over a 4.8" phone with a fake plastic "brushed metal" exterior.

Depends what they want to get out of a phone.

I offered my wife an iPhone but she didnt want it because the screen was too small for her to check her work docs.