Samsung Galaxy S3 announced - 4.8", Quad Core Exynos (but with LTE?)

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Robert Munch

Oct 11, 2006
Speculation of US release dates yet? Debating on picking up the HTC One X or hold off for the SGS III.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
I pre-ordered the Galaxy S III earlier today, coming from a HTC Desire (AMOLED Pentile) the screen won't bother me much. I nearly bought a Galaxy Note but then the One X came out and the only thing that swayed me off that was the lack of a MicroSD slot. They can cram as big a dropbox account into the deal as they want, while carriers impose data caps & speed restrictions it's a waste.

Blue of course...

sciwizam

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
Cant remember where I read it (probably Anandtech, Engadget or theVerge) but they said those problems were solved on the SGS3 over the nexus.

It's Brian.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5811/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-preview

One thing I will say is that I didn't notice any of the mura or luminance inconsistency that so afflict the Galaxy Nexus' panel. It's a subtle point that does make a difference considering how many people noted and objected to it. Even at this size, the angular subtense of one subpixel is still pretty close to that of the Galaxy Nexus (0.454 arcminutes for Galaxy Nexus versus 0.468 arcminutes for SGS3). If you believe in Nouvoyance's ability to emulate one logical pixel with either an RG or BG unit, putting two of them together still gets you a logical pixel under one arcminute (corrected human visual acuity). The quick and dirty of it is that subpixels are difficult (but not impossible) to discern. Take the Galaxy Nexus, subtract the luminance grain, make it a bit bigger, and you have the SGS3 panel.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Speaker?

UrswH.jpg
Yeah, speaker. I wish for once they would put a speaker IN THE FRONT! But at least it has an LED. I am getting this as soon as it is out for tmo. I have 2 available upgrade and I want to get two of these bitches and sell one along with my sgs2 and sgs1.

makken

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2004
Do we have any word on battery life yet?
this site is claiming it compares poorly vs the iPhone 4S, though their numbers seem pretty meaningless and suspect.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
this site is claiming it compares poorly vs the iPhone 4S, though their numbers seem pretty meaningless and suspect.

1) Has anyone else here even heard of this site?

2) Why should they qualify for Galaxy S3 test hardware?

3) Exactly how deep from their posterior did they pull those estimates for the next iPhone?

Meaningless and suspect don't even begin to describe those numbers. I feel so dirty giving that site traffic that I need a shower.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002

Is that your site? Because that's the most retarded thing I've seen today.

stormkroe

Golden Member
May 28, 2011

Hahahaha man that was awesome. So good to see a real review of the 'Galaxy's S3 Exynus'. I wish even one of my rl friends gave a crap about this enough to have a laugh.

makken

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2004
1) Has anyone else here even heard of this site?

2) Why should they qualify for Galaxy S3 test hardware?

3) Exactly how deep from their posterior did they pull those estimates for the next iPhone?

Meaningless and suspect don't even begin to describe those numbers. I feel so dirty giving that site traffic that I need a shower.

Ok, yeah, I just read some of the other articles on that site, and I feel stupid for thinking they actually did benchmarks. Figured it was just some poorly translated german tech blog that wanted the scoop.

Compared to the iPhone 4S, I thought their CPU results were in line with what people were seeing but their GPU results were opposite. power eff and IO i honestly had no idea. I didn't really pay any attention to the A6 numbers knowing they were just BS.

Anyways, ignoring my gullibility, have there been any word on battery life yet? I'm really interested to see how it compares to tegra 3 without the companion core.

Last edited:

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Well we know from AT:
The cores are individually powergated, meaning individual cores can shut down completely if not used, meaning the 3 and 4 core for my case, never ever will be used.
The proces technology is not only on 32 nm, giving far less power usage, the process is also on hkmg, meaning less leakage. Meaning all the cores can really turn down the power usage.
Combined with what samsung says is a good frequency scaling and granularity for frequency control.

The above reasons is why i preordered the device, i dont know how this should not give the bar none best power profile for any device using A9.

I actually prefer this to 2 cores running A15, because the frontend of the A15 will use more power using the same technology as above. And i dont need the power. So for me 4 small cores is better than two beefy :)

If i understand it correctly the pentile display also have an advantage to non pentile regarding power usage. Pentile is the future here.

As for the camara, what we know is the specs never say something usefull. But Brian showed us, that the camera can not take good pictures under bad circumstances. That is no surprice, but notice samsung have only made small space for the optics, so i wouldnt have to high hopes here, but we will have to wait and see, - but your main camera will still be usefull if you take pictures other places than outside in sunshine, and till have good pictures :)

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
Hey, no need to get all angry just because iPhone 5 destroys the Galaxy S3 in PlatIndex.

The iPhone5 doesn't even exist yet. These comparisons are stupid. Why are people doing these faux comparisons lol

Not to mention there will be newer things to compete with the iPhone5 in 6 months.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
For me the sgs3 had made me want to order the gnexus

Whys that? Isnt the S3 is a bit better in all areas than the GNexus?

Better screen, faster chip, microSD, bigger battery(?), notifacation LED (does the nexus have one?)...

Im not seeing the advantage of the GN.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
notifacation LED (does the nexus have one?)...
Yes, it does.

Main advantage of the Nexus is AOSP ICS out of the box. Esp. since the US SGS3 models will have nonstandard hardware. I do think the Touchwiz dialer will be an improvement though.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002

Better screen, faster chip, microSD, bigger battery(?), notifacation LED (does the nexus have one?)...

Same screen (probably calibrated slightly better or differently on S3)
Yes S3 has faster chip, bigger battery, micro SD, and better battery life. But Nexus has notification LED too.

Advantages of GNex:

1). Pentaband. This is huge advantage for the US market because of the different bands used by AT&T and T-Mobile. Gives you flexibility with prepaid plans too.
2). Pure Android. No carrier bloat and Touchwiz. I feel like Google finally got it right with ICS. Skins add some features and I actually liked Touchwiz on Froyo and Gingerbread but prefer AOSP ICS.
3). First with updates directly from Google. And most importantly, source code and drivers are posted and available. So developers have the necessary tools. So no waiting around 6-12 months for Jellybean update as will be the case with S3.
4). Price. $400 for GNex is a steal.

Pia

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008

Nexus has a notification LED and the screens are largely equivalent. Then there's the matter of prompt updates to any future Android versions. I personally like Nexus' looks more. Finally, and maybe most importantly, price. Right now I could pick up a like-new used Nexus for about 350e, new Nexus for about 480e, and those prices are going to drop further, whereas the S3 will come in at about 650e. I don't think the added features and power are worth the price difference for most people, even if techies want their devices to be "feature complete".

Puddle Jumper

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
Same screen (probably calibrated slightly better or differently on S3)
Yes S3 has faster chip, bigger battery, micro SD, and better battery life. But Nexus has notification LED too.

Advantages of GNex:

1). Pentaband. This is huge advantage for the US market because of the different bands used by AT&T and T-Mobile. Gives you flexibility with prepaid plans too.
2). Pure Android. No carrier bloat and Touchwiz. I feel like Google finally got it right with ICS. Skins add some features and I actually liked Touchwiz on Froyo and Gingerbread but prefer AOSP ICS.
3). First with updates directly from Google. And most importantly, source code and drivers are posted and available. So developers have the necessary tools. So no waiting around 6-12 months for Jellybean update as will be the case with S3.
4). Price. $400 for GNex is a steal.

While I would normally agree with pure ICS being an advantage of the Nexus I think it's actually a downside compared to the SGS3. Some features like S Voice, the eye recognition, and picture in picture are pretty awesome and aren't available for stock Android.

I think the most interesting thing about the SGS3 is it's the first non Nexus phone where the software is a major selling point.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
For me the sgs3 had made me want to order the gnexus

Actually I felt the SGS3 and the HTC One X showed what a weak SoC the GNex has for its screen and how quickly it will be dated. That GPU is like the Nexus One all over again.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Actually I felt the SGS3 and the HTC One X showed what a weak SoC the GNex has for its screen and how quickly it will be dated. That GPU is like the Nexus One all over again.

The GNex wasn't made with state of the art hardware. It was meant to be a baseline for developers to follow.