Samsung F1 and WD 320GB Drives compared

zod96

Platinum Member
May 28, 2007
I've got both drives to compare now. First the samsung F1 320GB. Yes its faster and quieter than the WD 320GB, but :) When the F1 drives turns on it makes like a beep noise and when turning off it does the same thing, a nice pronounced beep. The WD drive is quiet when it turn on or off. Also when running HD tune or HD Tach the F1 drives does score higher but it is not consistent, one time the access time can be 14 ms and the next time its 18 ms. It goes back and forth. The WD drive is totally consistent, every time I run those benchmarks the WD is always at 16 ms and always has the same burst rate and avg read, where as the F1 goes all over the place. For silence the F1 is quieter for sure while its up and running you can even hear it, the WD you can hear somewhat, nothing bad though. So now is the time to choose. Do I want a faster (sometimes) drive that goes faster and sometimes slower than the WD drive and quieter with a beep at the turn on and off cycle which is the F1 drive, or do I want a drive that is slightly louder with no beep when it turns on or off and is consistent in speed....