Samsung battery QC poor - large risk of fire / explosion due to battery swelling (allegedly).

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

I've had a few phones swell, as well. One of them was a Samsung, IIRC. I don't remember the other one.

I've had some cheaper laptops with non-user removable batteries swell as well, including an IdeaPad S100.

PCmodder78

Sep 27, 2022
I got excited and clicked on the video to see some phones exploding to only hear some over-dramatic storytelling! Batteries are bound to swell up if unused or as they age. I have had macs, iPads and yes Samsung phones have bulging batteries. This is why you should never keep these for long!

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I got excited and clicked on the video to see some phones exploding to only hear some over-dramatic storytelling! Batteries are bound to swell up if unused or as they age. I have had macs, iPads and yes Samsung phones have bulging batteries. This is why you should never keep these for long!
Conversely I've never had a battery swell and I have a galaxy S2 knocking about somewhere! (Although it's in the drawer of dead electronics, I've not checked on it in a while!)

Reactions: The red spirit

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Ug, I hate that dbag guy. His vids are so annoying. I have owned every samsung galaxy and note phone, including the Note 7 (which I still have) and never had a battery issue, no swelling, fire ever. On the other hand, I also have a ton of apple products and 2 mac book pros have had swelling batteries so bad that the touchpad has popped off both of them. I had a few iphone 6 overheat and die. I have on my office floor, and ipad 1 that has a shattered screen because the battery swell. He is such an apple loving dbag.

Reactions: The red spirit

legcramp

Golden Member
May 31, 2005
I have a sample of older phones (about 35 Google pixels 2-3 and 15 Samsung Galaxy S5s) running 24/7 mining veruscoin. 100% of the pixels have swelled and cracked the screen/backplate while only one samsung swelled up out of 15. Decommissioning the pixels today because I don't want to run them while the batteries might cause a fire any moment. These phones have fans blowing at them 24/7 also.

tony78

Oct 3, 2022
Yes, it is all about battery quality. All batteries will swell as they age. A good quality battery may give one or two more years but will swell over time.

But about battery explosion, I feel most news is an exaggeration.