Question Samsung 970 Evo Plus (the revised version) vs 980 PRO

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Can anyone recommend a good review comparing these two? I'm revisiting the topic because the price of the latter at the 250GB level has dropped significantly below the 970 Evo Plus 250GB, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

IIRC the revised 970 Evo Plus didn't perform quite as well as the original 970 Evo Plus, but don't they now use the same controller and NAND as the 980 PRO these days?

I'm aware of the 980 PRO's performance advantage wrt PCIE 4.0, but I'm interested at the 3.0 level as well.

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
250GB is going to hurt your performance a lot more than any difference of models I'm afraid. 970 EVO Plus has not been far behind the 980 Pro in reviews of the larger ones for practical purposes (sequential is becoming less relevant IMO). The SSD market in general has stagnated performance wise compared to 3 years ago or so. I'd strongly recommend a larger drive for performance and longevity.

The updated versions have very few reviews, and depending on the cache, they might theoretically perform better in some scenarios that are more typical to non professional users. I have no idea how that goes for the lower capacity models though.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I haven't seen many full detailed reviews of the revised 970 Evo Plus. However, of the many that I own, the performance difference isn't noticeable if there is any. I only have 500GB or larger. 250GB lacks enough chip density that IOPs suffer in general and I believe that's a weak point of the newer controllers.