Question Samsung 970 evo plus 500gb low iops

milu316

Jan 24, 2019
After doing a benchmark in the latest samsung magician I am getting the following random iop figures

Read 278564
Write 282470

I have also attached a couple of other benchmarks I've done.

I chose this over the pro and normal evo pretty much because the write iops were alot more 550k+, of course upto, but numbers are about half way there.

I have looked at some videos on youtube of people benching this drive and getting similar results, even with the bigger drives...

What gives? is this thing faulty? I would expect a result pretty close to stated but the other benchmarks I've done tell me its running pretty much as it should be.

my system
gigabyte z390 auros pro

Is there a better benchmarking tool I can try which will definitely reassure me its working as it should be? So I don't have to return it, as this is my current thinking.

Advertising 550k iops but getting 278k seems like a bit of a con to me personally.

Attachments

• cryts.png
    cryts.png
    96.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    187.6 KB · Views: 7
  • sam.jpg
    sam.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 8

Billy Tallis

Aug 4, 2015
Make sure you kill all background programs that could be performing IO to the drive before testing it, and give it 10+ minutes of idle time before running the test so that the drive itself can finish its own internal clean-up.

Your problem is likely not with the choice of benchmarking tools, but all the other less obvious steps required for a reliable and consistent test of a drive's maximum possible performance.

milu316

Jan 24, 2019
Make sure you kill all background programs that could be performing IO to the drive before testing it, and give it 10+ minutes of idle time before running the test so that the drive itself can finish its own internal clean-up.

Your problem is likely not with the choice of benchmarking tools, but all the other less obvious steps required for a reliable and consistent test of a drive's maximum possible performance.
It's odd. I have an 840 pro here and in magician the iops are bang on the money within a couple of thousand of the advertised iops.

Donl' know whether I want to be running many more benchmarks unless I know for sure there will be improvement as the only thing I'm currently doing by doing this is increasing the bytes written for the drive. Its a fair few gig each time for magician as well.