Samsung 960 Pro: real world performance (file copy)

hasta666

Aug 18, 2017
Hello,

I just bought and installed a trio of 960 Pro in my Threadripper build. I did some quick benchmarks and performance are as expected from reviews. Now on real world performance, I'm a little worried. I tried to copy one big file from one disk to another: speed was around 1.2 Go/s. I thought that drive was rated around 2.0 Go/s in write speed. Copying the same file from one drive to a stripped array consisting of two drives resulted in the same performance. Again, write speed to a stripped volume should be better.

What are your experiences with this drive? Were my expectations too high?

I'm aware of throttling due to heat issues but I was expecting that it might affect speeds later during the copy process. What I saw was a constant 1.2 Go/s write speed.

Also I'm wondering about TRIM with Windows stripped volume as this was not available for the stripped volume in Magician when I tried it.

By the way I'm using an X399 motherboard with 3x M.2 connector that are connected directly through the CPU (PCIe 3.0 x4). No chance there is a bottleneck with the 60 lanes of TR.

Thanks.

Fir

Jan 15, 2010
512GB should be faster than that, this is around the same performance as a single drive!
Since you are doing software striping in Windows, Magician should still recognize the drives. When using them in non ACHI (i.e. RAID) on the board this becomes an issue. The driver from AMD is supposed to be out by month's end.

hasta666

Aug 18, 2017
I just setup a RAID array with 3x 960 Pro using RAIDXpert and the newly published RAID NVMe driver. You'll find the CrystalDiskMark results below.

I think it looks OK but real world performance is still lagging I think. File copy starts at 1.6 Go/s, ends at 0.9 Go/s (throttling?).

https://imgur.com/YPi0RKT