Samsung 960 Pro Firmware

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
The updates are not automatic. There is a new version out that is made available through Magician.

Does anyone know how Magician gets to be part of the win 10 "start" applications ? Occasionally I get the error message on the desktop that it could not start. There is no mention in the registry under "RUN" or in the Task Manager Start Up window. What launches it ?

Last edited by a moderator:

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
pretty sure if you have ccleaner installed it will detect the entry in startup and you will be able to disable it. i would, however, just install the new version over the old one (i believe it automatically deletes any old files) and then restart; see if the error returns.

i don't think i've used Magician on 10 yet, but I might be able to duplicate the issue as I still have some Samsung drives lying around

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
pretty sure if you have ccleaner installed it will detect the entry in startup and you will be able to disable it. i would, however, just install the new version over the old one (i believe it automatically deletes any old files) and then restart; see if the error returns.

i don't think i've used Magician on 10 yet, but I might be able to duplicate the issue as I still have some Samsung drives lying around

Thx. I have the latest version 5. CC Cleaner does not show it either. I found it in the task scheduler. little bastard.
Control Panel / System and Security / Administrative Tools / Task Scheduler / Task Scheduler Local / Task Scheduler Library / Samsung Magician / Disable.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
Thx. I have the latest version 5. CC Cleaner does not show it either. I found it in the task scheduler. little bastard.
Control Panel / System and Security / Administrative Tools / Task Scheduler / Task Scheduler Local / Task Scheduler Library / Samsung Magician / Disable.

You can just right click on the task tray icon and select "Remove from startup" and it will remove itself.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Basically, once the driver is properly installed, you don't need Magician at Startup. On the other hand, the proprietary software for each and all make and model drives on a system is worth installing if it keeps track of TBW and SMART, provides least-risk Secure Erase functions, optimization and other useful features. You can either keep the number of configured drives at minimum, select drives of the same make and hope the proprietary software works with different models, or simply rely on a generic software that does much the same thing. SSD Tool, if IIRC, is trial-ware, and you'd want to buy the license. The expense there could be anywhere from $10 to $30 because I don't freakin' remember. But I do remember that the trial-ware lacked features that I wanted, and I wasn't inclined to buy it because Crucial Executive, Magician, ADATA SSD Tool (and probably) Intel's SSD Tool do not seem to interfere with each other, may recognize each other's hardware and allow benchmarking across makes and models. I suppose I'd only run one particular program at a time, but that's just my own rule-of-thumb and probably doesn't address a real conflict or a risk. I don't think anyone would run into major problems just testing it, regardless of outcome.

I've seen only certain types of temporary malfunctions with the SSD proprietary software across manufactures. If I installed Crucial Executive on a system after adding an MXnnn or BXnnn, removing the drive and replacing with another Crucial would cause the software to enter a catatonic state after the logo screen, and an error on the web-page since it uses the browser like so many disk utilities I've seen. Replacing the second drive with the original makes it possible to uninstall Executive first, and remove the MXnnn/BXnnn second.

Magician is suspect for being central to a major hiccup some people are having with the Windows Build 1703 installation. After completing the Build 1703 installation, Magician would run, it would present some information on a 960 Pro/EVO, but tell you that it didn't support the disk. You could completely reinstall the Samsung driver, but choosing "repair" on the Programs/Features dialog and then uninstalling and reinstalling Magician made Magician function tip-top again. Ultimately, this hiccup was linked to a Windows startup message of "Diagnosing, Scanning, Repairing . . { GUID } volume . . . " and the existence of non-standard caching volumes on the disk.

Last edited: