RAM: Corsair DDR3 1600MHz 9-9-9-24
CPU: Intel i5 3570K @ 4.2GHz + Artic Cooler Freezer 13
Hard Disk: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB + WD 1 TB Caviar Blue
VGA: Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1
ALI: Corsair 750W

a) all drivers are installed and upgraded;
b) the OS is upgraded;
c) all cables are new and connected.

PROBLEM = Windows freezes at startup when it loads Samsung Magician software: I can't use the mouse, neither the keyboard. The only way is to reset the PC, startup Windows in safe mode and uninstall Samsung Magician.

I tried to uninstall Samsung Magician, restart the PC, reinstall it again...with no success.
Without Samsung Magician installed, the PC seems to work fine.

The SSD is connected to the motherboard with an Intel Sata6 connector (not an Asmedia).

1) Could it be a SSD hardware issue?
2) Is it possible that the SATA cable is defective?

Launching HD Tune Pro, I noticed that the SSD reads at a maximum 428 MB rate: I think this is not a good result.

Could you help me, please? :'(

Thank you very much and have a nice day :)

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Why load Magician at Startup?

redzo

Nov 21, 2007
Are you sure that there is no other software preventing the samsung one from loading up properly(something like and antivirus solution, for example)?

Launching HD Tune Pro, I noticed that the SSD reads at a maximum 428 MB rate: I think this is not a good result.
It looks alright to me. Depending on your benchmark application, your sequential speeds will vary a lot. I suppose that windows resides on the 850 evo ssd right? Don't forget that windows concurrently accesses/uses the ssd while you are running the benchmark. This will negatively impact your final bench score.

Samsung Magician should be able to load at startup like any other program. You could contact samsung support.

leoblab

Feb 2, 2014
@corkyg: because Samsung Magician can optimize the use of the SSD. As redzo said, It should be able to load at startup like any other program. :)

Are you sure that there is no other software preventing the samsung one from loading up properly(something like and antivirus solution, for example)?

It looks alright to me. Depending on your benchmark application, your sequential speeds will vary a lot. I suppose that windows resides on the 850 evo ssd right? Don't forget that windows concurrently accesses/uses the ssd while you are running the benchmark. This will negatively impact your final bench score.

Samsung Magician should be able to load at startup like any other program. You could contact samsung support.

Hello redzo and thank you for your reply.
Yes, I'm sure there is no other software preventing the Samsung Magician from loading up properly.

I thought that 428 MB was not good because the SSD should read at a maximum speed of 520 MB/sec. But, you're right, Windows resides on the 850 evo, so it's possibile that it negatively impact my finel bench score.

As long as the SSD works properly, I think that my friend can do without the Samsung Magician. Anyway, I'll try to ask Samsung Support.

Thanks again :)

redzo

Nov 21, 2007
@corkyg: because Samsung Magician can optimize the use of the SSD.
Everything that the magician software does is on demand and user interactive, and those are just some simple OS registry/system tweaks. You set them up once and that is it. Samsung magician does not dynamically interact with the SSD as far as that OS optimization settings menu is concerned.

Everything regarding the System Management menu group within the magician is meant to set be set up once.

I wouldn't run the Performance Optimization tool very often as it may reduce the lifespan of the drive with every run.

I keep the Samsung Magician software installed but not loaded up because it is basically useless after you set things up. I open it from time to time manually to check the Total Bytes Written value as the magician is the manufacturer's ssd tool and I trust it the most in how it reads the SMART ssd data.

Last edited:

JimmiG

Platinum Member
Feb 24, 2005
Most of the stuff in the Magician software is pretty useless, mostly some snake-oil registry hacks. It's by no means essential except for firmware updates. However it's a bit worrying that the system just plain freezes when launching an application, and it could mean more problems down the road. You might want to try without the OC for a start.

leoblab

Feb 2, 2014
Hello everybody and thank you very much for your answers :)
The only way to solve the problem was not to install the Samsung Magician (any version).
I tried many times (with or without OC) and the PC works great if the Magician is not installed. Non other application has problem with the computer, so...I think it could be just a case...
Well, I hope so... :)

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
That isn't normal behavior for magician. I've used it on windows 7 ultimate x64, 8.1 pro x64 and 10 pro x64 without issue and use it on my two pc's with Samsung ssd's.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
See if this works:

1.) Uninstall Samsung Magician again.
2.) After that is complete delete the Samsung folder that is in the C:/Program Files (x86) folder.
3.) Reboot system
4.) Reinstall Samsung Magician

From the web. Maybe a corrupted file left in the folder?

r0wnin

Jul 6, 2016
As soon your PC boots you have enough time to open TASK SCHEDULER and quickly navigating to the SAMSUNG task and deleting it.

Works every time.

You can still use Magician if you open it manually.