Samsung 840 Pro Vs Intel SATA 3 RAID Mode

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
I know it's been discussed to death and it is disgusting because I've read them all - LOL

I have an ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Gen3/17 2700K/Win7x64 SP1 with a Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD and 1TB WD Black mounted on the 2 Intel SATA 3 Ports and 2 500GB WD Blacks and 1 ASUS Optic Drive on the Intel SATA 2 Ports. The 2 500GB WD Blacks are in RAID-0. This of course means that the SSD and Optic Drive, NOT ARRAY Members, are resting on Intel Sata Ports in RAID Mode. It is my understanding that Devices NOT in the Array will operate in SATA AHCI Mode.

Running CMD "fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify" in Win7x64 SP1 results "DisableDeleteNotify = 0" verifying Windows TRIM commands are ENABLE; HOWEVER, running "trimcheck-0.4.exe"" says that TRIM is DISABLED.

From reading and reading other forums, I gather the TRIM Check Tool works only for Samsung SSD's mounted on Intel SATA Ports in AHCI Mode and most all users are having the same issue as I with the Samsung SSD's mounted in RAID Mode.

There also appears to be issues with Flashing Samsung SSD's Firmware mounted in RAID Mode - Plus Issues in with DOS Flashing when using a Discrete nVidia VGA Card which I also use an EVGA e-GeForce GTX 280. This, I believe, I can work around - Simply by using the DOS Flashing Method, use the Intel IGPU and config the BIOS to SATA AHIC Mode when updating Firmware.

I also read where some are getting Positive TRIMCHECK Reports with Samsung SSD's in SATA RAID Mode, whether it is or is not an Array Member, if you use Specific MB Bios in conjunction with Specific Intel RST Driver and Specfic SSD Firmware; but you must Disable RST when using the TRIM Check Tool.

Then others report they have had success with the SATA Ports set to IDE then Enable them ENHANCED .... etc and etc. I've been reading for almost a week and there doesn't seem to be any conclusive arguments.

By the way, it's also said that the Samsung Magician Software doesn't work with their SSD's mounted in RAID Mode.

Even if Win7 says the TRIM function is ENABLED, I would like see TRIM in ACTION.

I suppose "AN ALTERNATIVE" would be to keep the Samsung SSD and 1TB WD Black on the 2 Intel SATA 3 Ports in AHCI Mode, place the Optical Drive on the Sata 2, ENABLE the Marvel SATA 3 Ports and place the 2 500GB WD Blacks there in RAID-0. But then ASUS seemed to have had issues with the RealTech Audio when the Marvel controller was enabled - Perhaps their latest BIOS Firmware have corrected this issue. Siish! - I'll see if I can get away with it.

I'm having second thoughts about purchasing this Samsung SSD as other SSD Mfgr's don't seem to have this issue as the Samsung SSD virtually makes the Intel SATA RAID function about useless.

PS SH*T: I just noticed that the Marvell PCIe SATA 6Gb/s controller doesn't have RAID function but it does have AHIC. Guess I could put the SSD and 1TB WD Black there with the 2 500GB WD Blacks in RAID-0 and Optic Drive on the Intel SATA Ports or keep pursuing this Samsung 840 Pro Vs Intel SATA 3 RAID Mode Issue for a solution.

I need the 2 500 GB in RAID-0 for Movie Encoding.

Last edited:

Germanic

May 10, 2013
I have the Samsung 840 Pro 512GB and I have to say it's excellent.

The trick is to get a 500GB or larger SSD to completely replace a HDD. It saves money, and also the larger the SSD, the better its performance.

The OCZ Vector also got good reviews but the boot up times aren't nearly as fast as the Samsung 840 Pro.

Last edited:

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
SUCCESS using TRIMCHECK on a Samsung SSD mounted in SATA RAID Mode ;o)

I uninstalled my previous version of RST and updated it to Intel RST v12.5.0.1066.

The old version did not recognize in detail other then report all SATA devices where in Normal Status and OK. RST v12.5.0.1066 reports full device information and offers a Host of Management Options.

I can NOW Safely say Win7x64 SP1 TRIM is managing the Samsung 840 Pro's Garbage when the SSD is mounted to Intel's SATA 3 Port in RAID Mode.

I'm using BIOS version 3402 on my ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Gen3. I suppose Newer BIOS version such as the 3603 should be OK and probably improve performance on this MB.

My Conclusive Argument is that Win7's TRIM Command will effectively handle the Samsung 840 Pro's SSD Garbage with the SSD Mounted in SATA RAID Mode using the Intel RST v12.5.0.1066 Drivers.

I can't say if Samsung's Magician Software will work - Will be Testing.

So far - HAPPY HAPPY ;o)

For Germanic's information: Here are some Video Encoding Speed Checks I've performed Comparing Encoding within RAID-0 Vs SSD Media.

Source File: 720x300 30fps

MEDIA - 1st/2nd Pass FPS

SSD to RAID - 820/255

With in RAID-0 2 HDD's - 800/255

With in SSD - 810/255

The difference between SSD and RAID-0 for Video Encoding does not amount much more then say 1 minute/15 minutes of encoding and I can do a Movie in about 12 minutes.

Last edited:

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
Magician reports AHCI Mode Deactivated and SATA Interface N/A.

So much for Intel Vs Samsung Software Compatibility when a Device is suppose to be in AHCI Mode when NOT a Raid Array Member with SATA in RAID Mode.

It does recognize the Firmware as being DXM05B0Q which is the Latest Firmware. I can always Flash the SSD in future using the DOS Utility and change the SATA Mode to AHCI during the Process.

So there is no use using this Software - No Big Deal.

I'm going to leave this Software on board for the time being and UpDate the MB BIOS to version to 3603 to see if it makes a Diff but I doubt it.

I do notice the Samsung Software tends to slow the PC's Boot and Shutdown time and places multiple copies of "FXSAPIDebugLogFile.txt" in both Windows and User Temp when Loaded in StartUp.

The FXSAPIDebugLogFile is a log file associated with the a Windows Printer Fax application which I never use and could probably just kill the service - Strange that the Samsung Software should do this. If you don't load the Software it doesn't do this. Now Samsung is fighting with MS - LOL

Last edited:

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Running CMD "fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify" in Win7x64 SP1 results "DisableDeleteNotify = 0" verifying Windows TRIM commands are ENABLE
That doesn't verify anything useful. That's the default setting even on a HDD system.

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
OK I flashed the MB to latest BIOS version 3603. It had no effect on Samsung Magician as it still would not recognize that the SSD was operating in AHIC Mode in spite the Intel SATA3 Port was set to RAID Mode.

Be warned that you must DISABLE Intel's RST's/Performance (Acceleration ... whatever they call it) configurations and Reboot before Flashing the MB. After the Flashing, on Reboot enter BIOS as it will be Defaulted with the SATA Controller Set in AHIC Mode. You will have to ReSet it to RAID Mode before you can Boot into Win. Once booted into Win ENABLE Intel's RST/Performance Devices and Reboot again. If you at this stage, I suppose you kept a Record of your O'Clocking Profiles as they will be gone after the MB Flashing ;o)

I removed both Samsung Magician and Samsung Data Migration Software from my system as they both Suck. For Migrating Win7x64 I prefer using SYS-Prep GHOST V8 Corp GHO Image, a 1.32Mb DOS App, in a none GUI DOS FAT32 environment. Just amazing the Power of DOS and FAT32 still has after all this years.

I can't believe that Samsung can build such fantastic SSD's yet can't write Software that is compatible with Intel ChipSets.

I run my System at 1600/4600Mhz between 0.992/1.35v running Prime95 and 36/67C 24/7. I have BIOS Profiles that will take her to 5.2G's but the voltage gets up around 1.5v with TEMPS up around 73C under Full Load. I may have got LUCKY and got a Good CPU or may be I just know what I'm doing - I still fire up a Slot 1 ASUS P3V4X Mini ATX with a Taulatin/AGP at 1800 GHz's ;o)

So there you have it. Win7x64 TRIM Command does indeed support the Samsung 840 Pro's Garbage Removal with Intel's SATA controller in RAID Mode by proof using the latest Intel RST Drivers and a functional TRIM Check Tool.

That doesn't verify anything useful. That's the default setting even on a HDD system.
mikeymikec: Did you read anything prior before making that statement. What do you think the purpose of my thread was all about ;o)

Last edited:

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I think I did :) I had to get up earlier than usual this morning and I'm not a morning person :) My point was that the DeleteDisableNotify default setting has about as much effect as sticking a piece of paper to your computer that says "TRIM enabled".

I've just set up a Win7 system with AMD RAID1 and two TRIM-capable SSDs. DeleteDisableNotify was on its default setting, but AMD RAID said that the devices weren't TRIM capable. My conclusion is that TRIM probably wasn't running, but then the question of TRIM and RAID on the Internet is 99% forum bullshit and 1% other.

I missed the bit that showed you verifying that TRIM commands are being utilised.

Last edited:

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
In my opinion, Samsung should take some programming advise from the TRIM Checking Tool, if they want their Software to recognize their SSD's on Intel ChipSets in Sata RAID Mode - Kinda reminds me of ASUS and their stupid bloated GUI AI Suite - Nothing more then a Marketing Gimmick that don't work ;o)

Last edited: