Samsung 840 250GB SSD....$149.99 after code, FS

Status
Not open for further replies.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
if it was the "pro" model it would be super hot.. the deal is definatly good and ssd prices are getting reasonable ;) very tempting.. got a 180gb 330 intel for 100 wonder if this better deal oh well i will wait for even better drives and deals thnx for post makes me want it too

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
Deal is dead and I managed to refrain myself from buying it. :)

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
Not Pro, not interested.

Then why post?

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

BIGFOOTPI

Golden Member
Mar 8, 2005
Not Pro, not interested.

Then why post?

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

hey esqaured- he posted to let people know it wasnt the pro version and therefore wasnt as desirable
I am glad he confirmed it wasnt the pro and reported it
maybe him letting people know there is a pro version will prompt some people to go educate themselves about the difference and be better off for it.
I think your mod response was way too knee-jerk

And if you have a problem with the way I moderate, take it to moderator discussions.

Do not second guess what I post in the thread with your moderator callout in a post that WAS thread crapping.

He wasn't letting people know it wasn't Pro because it was clear it wasn't Pro because it wasn't in the title.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
hey esqaured- he posted to let people know it wasnt the pro version and therefore wasnt as desirable
I am glad he confirmed it wasnt the pro and reported it
maybe him letting people know there is a pro version will prompt some people to go educate themselves about the difference and be better off for it.
I think your mod response was way too knee-jerk

I don't see a "Pro" anywhere. It clearly says it is a Samsung 840 250GB SSD. A Pro version does not even have a 250GB SSD, it is 256GB. Also, I doubt the vast majority of people doing a vast majority of tasks will be able to tell a big difference between the Pro version and the non-Pro. But I guess if you're used to the fastest SSDs out there, a second or two would be meaningful ...

BIGFOOTPI

Golden Member
Mar 8, 2005
I don't see a "Pro" anywhere. It clearly says it is a Samsung 840 250GB SSD. A Pro version does not even have a 250GB SSD, it is 256GB. Also, I doubt the vast majority of people doing a vast majority of tasks will be able to tell a big difference between the Pro version and the non-Pro. But I guess if you're used to the fastest SSDs out there, a second or two would be meaningful ...

I didnt claim "Pro" was seen anywhere. my point was he let people know this WASNT the pro in case they werent aware there was a 840 pro series and that this non-pro was less desirable

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
I didnt claim "Pro" was seen anywhere. my point was he let people know this WASNT the pro in case they werent aware there was a 840 pro series and that this non-pro was less desirable

It all depends. If a person was specifically looking for the fastest SSD he can get for his specific purpose, then he would probably know to get the Pro version or whatever the fastest is right now. For most everyone else, they could not probably tell a difference. They would save money and get a decent sized SSD. It is not really less desirable since most needs would be easily met and the price is about a $100 less than the Pro version.

Is the Pro version worth the extra $100? For some it is.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
i think as long as we dont have any weird floods or whatever, this tax season might be the ssd coming out party. we are so close... so close to nearly eliminating hdd's. i think it will be just like tv's. once lcd's became good and cheap enough to be acceptable to people the death of the tube tv happened in less then 5 years. you can even give them away now, even though they do the same thing essentially.

philipma1957

Golden Member
Jan 8, 2012
i think as long as we dont have any weird floods or whatever, this tax season might be the ssd coming out party. we are so close... so close to nearly eliminating hdd's. i think it will be just like tv's. once lcd's became good and cheap enough to be acceptable to people the death of the tube tv happened in less then 5 years. you can even give them away now, even though they do the same thing essentially.

size matters. where are 2tb ssds?

although if you sell me decent 500gb ssds for 100 a piece I am all in. I will phase all of my hdds out.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
thats just it, if ssd's become comparable in cost to hdd's, it wont matter if we have to use 10 of them to get the same capacity.

but that wont even be the case. they are holding down ssd sizes to keep cost down. there is no physical limitation holding them back from stuffing ssd's full of memory. 2TB ssd's will be here in the next couple years, no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.