Samsung 19" Syncmaster 950P Monitor for $298.52 - Is this a good monitor?

SilentBoB

Golden Member
Nov 13, 1999
At http://www.mercata.com

When you register at Mercata, you can get $100 or 20% off your first order, whichever is less. The Samsung Syncmaster 950P is on powerbuy ending in 2 days. It is 373.15 - 20%($74.63) making it $298.52. And FREE GROUND SHIPPING TOO!

Is this a good monitor for gaming?

moocat

Platinum Member
Oct 25, 1999
I don't own one personally, but I've read many positive comments regarding that display.

CuriousGeorge

Jun 26, 2000
Its a very high quality monitor. It can frequently bee seen at buy.com for less than 300 with rebate ( i think its still there) combined with a coupon. My ex-roomate had it..a lil brighter than my Viewsonic PS790, but longer...because mine is a short depth monitor. That was about 6 months ago..350 - 50 rebate = 300..he didnt use coupon. The only thing i like about it thats better than mine is the price, the "on" button ( i dun like mine), and the cool hideaway control panel on the bottom of the monitor. I personally love short depth monitors tho. Peace.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
There's no business like Ho business!

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
I own one of these and I could NOT be happier.

I have no complaints at all about this monitor ;)

Lvis

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
You may want to do a search for a rebate, Samsung offers them all the time.

Double Dave

Oct 9, 1999
You can find the specs at http://www.samsungmonitor.com

Basically the difference between the two is that the 950p has higher refresh rates, while the 955DF has an incredibly flat screen. Though some people have complained about being able to see a shadow behind the icons when you're at an angle and the room is dark. I've never noticed it though. At work I used to use a 950p, but I switched it for a 955DF because I liked it better. It mostly seems to come down to whether you are willing to trade a higher refresh rate for a really flat screen. Although you could just spend some extra money and get the 900IFT, which is the best of both worlds.

ng5783

Jun 21, 2000
I've got the Samsung 950P and a couple Hitachi Elite 751's
The Samsung has been flawless in the four or five months
I've had it, and is every bit as clear as the more
expensive (for me) Hitachis.

Gustavus

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm not going to go to the trouble of searching and pasting my previous very detailed posts on this subject. If you are interested in quantitative results, please do so. I have both the 950p and the 955DF monitors and like them both. The 955DF is flat screen, the 950p is not. The 950p allows higher refresh rates than the 955DF. The resolution on both of mine are the same as measured by Nokia Monitor Test, QS monitor test and Sonera. Both are exceptional in that respect. The 955DF delivers a better paper white screen than the 950p. Bottom line, both are very good monitors. I use the 955DF on my favorite machine and the 950p on my backup, but that is more an indication of which is the newer, not which is the better. The 950p has a significant horizontal non-linearity, and the 955DF has a lesser vertical non-linearity. I made very precise measurements of these and sent them to Samsung, but never had an answer. Samsung's customer support is excellent, the responsiveness of their engineering department is not. I would buy another Samsung monitor if I needed one.

dc

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 1999
render, onvia doesn't have the 955df listed. where did you see it for that price?

thanks,
dc

edit: nevermind, found it by the magic of searching. heh. :)

SilentBoB

Golden Member
Nov 13, 1999
I'm not sure which monitor I want now. The 950P I can get for $298.52 and it has better refresh rates (over the 955DF) but it isn't flat screen. The 955DF I can get for less ($257.90) and it is flat screen, but the refresh rates aren't as good. Which would you go for?

Dantzig

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Once you use a flat sceen monitor, you'll never be able to go back to looking into a fishbowl. The curve on a 19" monitor can be very noticable. Get the 950DF. If you have the opportunity, go out and look at them at a B&M store before you make your decision. It's a good rule to always make sure you love any monitor before your mail order it :)

render

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 1999
SilentBoB

If you are going to set your monitor's refresh rate more than 1280x1024 which is pretty high and I don't think that is good for 19" monitor, then you have to buy a 950P.

955DF supports 80Mhz at 1280x1024, so buy a 955DF.

Samsung monitors have been rated pretty high in the most of performance tests of computer magazines. Highly recommended.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< Is this one better than the 955DF? >>

--and--

<< Once you use a flat sceen monitor, you'll never be able to go back to looking into a fishbowl. The curve on a 19&quot; monitor can be very noticable. Get the 950DF. >>

I own the 900P which is the predecessor to the 950P. As you've probably seen in my other posts, I had some not-so-good luck with the 955DF monitor - actually two of them, plus the one I viewed as a display model in the store. At resolutions up to and including 1024 x 768, the monitor is fine. At higher resolutions, the left and right sections get a little grainy while the center remains very clear. There is a focus adjustment where you can soften the grainyness a little. Softening the sides was a bit too &quot;fuzzy&quot; for me when compared to how clearly focused my 900P is. However, the fuzziness wasn't any worse than the Viewsonic PF790 and Sony E400 monitors that I've seen. The geometry on the 955DF is superior.

I think I expected a little more from the 955DF and was glad to have them returned and put the 900P back on my desk. I don't think you'll go wrong when purchasing a 950P because it's a very good monitor. The 955DF is also an &quot;OK&quot; monitor for the prices that you could purchase it at. After having other opportunities to see the 955DF against other monitors, I feel that the &quot;OK&quot; recommendation is fine and has changed a little from when I really opposed it a few weeks back.

Gustavus

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
SilentBoB,
You're right, I can't find the original post anymore, even though I found two references to it in subsequent threads. Too bad, because I went to a lot of trouble to provide information between the two monitors. Thanks for calling my attention to the fact I had been &quot;purged&quot;.

Jim

Oct 9, 1999
SilentBob, curious about your sig. Whats up with Onvia? I dare say your the first person I ever saw with a complaint about them...

SilentBoB

Golden Member
Nov 13, 1999
Jim, have you not been following this whole 3D Prophet 2 64Mb fiasco? Onvia put the card up at a great price and then kept stringing people along and changing the ETA and then when they got a few in, they just sent them to whoever called and asked where the hell their card was. So, because of this incident, many people, including myself, are very upset with onvia.

FrontlineWarrior

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2000
Is the pointclick deal still available? i went to pointclick.dot.com and onvia isn't listed. They haven't been listed in the last few days that I checked...