samsung 151v, kds rad5, opinions?

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
gaming isn't a priority here, this is for the living room computer.. and to eliminate the power hungry heat generating crts.

Anyway, the samsung is $350 after a $50 rebate, the KDS is $330. I'm leaning towards the samsung cause it has a bit of a higher contrast (330 vs 300). It also states 3yrs warranty on the backlight.. the kds just says parts and labor...that should include the backlight, shouldn't it?

Appriciate any input or other suggestions.
Linh

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
I'd probably recommend the KDS. I've heard the Rad-5 and Rad-7 have very little ghosting on the image, unlike many LCD's (ghosting is a plage for gaming and video watching on all LCD's). The contrast ratio difference shouldn't sway you - they all rate them very misleadingly (hope that's a word ;P) anyways, and the difference from 300-> 330 would not be noticeable anyways.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
thanks. I saw the samsung in stores today. while i can't speak on image quality (splitters suck), the borders are a little wider than my parents liked. So I went w/ the KDS anyway. No compusa rebate hassles, and I've seen it before and it's nice (friend has one). I thought the extra contrast might be helpful, but oh well, not a big difference as you said.

Linh