Samples from today's model shoot

IeraseU

Aug 25, 2004
This shoot I was working with a fashion/runway model and I must say that I really fell in love the tall slim build and perfect posture. This was a test shoot for a theme I am planning on shooting called, "High Society" which will feature strictly tall slim models with European facial features. Anyway, here are the samples

Sample 1

Sample 2

Sample 3

virtuamike

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2000
Model is nice, but we're back to mismatched lighting and poor background composition. If you're not gong to do an isolation shot then you need to pay attention to the entire frame. Best of the bunch is #2.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
The horizons need to be straightened. I think you should try adding some blurring/bokah/dof. Background doesn't really add anything.

virtuamike

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2000
Originally posted by: kalster
why arent you using a larger apertuer to isolate the subject

There's no rule that says you have to isolate your subject ;)

That said, it does help to isolate if the background isn't contributing to the shot.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
I agree with virtuamike. 1 and 3 have backgrounds that just really... don't work. 1 is really complex and detracts from the model. 3's lighting is very dead and flat, like most of your model photos I've seen I'm afraid. And yes, 2 is the best of the bunch. The background is simpler, but still not as simple as I'd like. The lighting is just so harsh in all of the shots.

Why don't you look at Getty to get a few ideas:

Getty

IeraseU

Aug 25, 2004
Thanks for the critique guys, I'll definitely keep the points that were brought up in mind when we start shooting this series 'for keeps'. This is the first series I am doing with the aid of a make-up artist and wardrobe stylist, so I'm excited about that. For those who want to see more of this series or of this model, here are a few more samples:

Sample 4

Sample 5

Sample 6

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: IeraseU
Thanks for the critique guys, I'll definitely keep the points that were brought up in mind when we start shooting this series 'for keeps'. This is the first series I am doing with the aid of a make-up artist and wardrobe stylist, so I'm excited about that. For those who want to see more of this series or of this model, here are a few more samples:

Sample 4

Sample 5

Sample 6

I like 5 the best, 4 the second best, and 6 is really iffy. There's an electrical wire going through the middle of the picture and the background IMO is really meh. I do like the lighting in the first two compared to your other shots because it's softer and more natural. I don't really care for the surroundings and the complex/mismatched floor patterns of the first shot.

kalster

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2002
Originally posted by: virtuamike
Originally posted by: kalster
why arent you using a larger apertuer to isolate the subject

There's no rule that says you have to isolate your subject ;)

That said, it does help to isolate if the background isn't contributing to the shot.

you are right, I should have said, wouldnt it work better to isolate the subject in this case

virtuamike

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2000
Originally posted by: IeraseU

Sample 4

Sample 5

Sample 6

#5 is the best of this set. The light is better in #4 than in the other set, but I don't like the styling or the overall feel. #6 suffers from the same compositional mismatch of the other shots. Try to figure out why #5 works so well and build on it.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
I don't mean to sound harsh, but 10 minutes reading photoflexlightingschool.com will eliminate the criticism.
I also don't see myself of bothering with a makeup artist and hairstylist, if I can't provide a non-distracting background. I would suggest to save the cash for later.
Or not letting yourself get distracted by the extra staff.
Maybe I am reading too much into this, but this is the way I see this.

You: "Look at my hawt model I hired."
Forum: "Background needs to be thought out, learn how to light."
You: Okay, I will heed your advice.

Rinse, Repeat.

Again, I don't mean to sound offensive or insulting

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: foghorn67
I don't mean to sound harsh, but 10 minutes reading photoflexlightingschool.com will eliminate the criticism.
I also don't see myself of bothering with a makeup artist and hairstylist, if I can't provide a non-distracting background. I would suggest to save the cash for later.
Or not letting yourself get distracted by the extra staff.
Maybe I am reading too much into this, but this is the way I see this.

You: "Look at my hawt model I hired."
Forum: "Background needs to be thought out, learn how to light."
You: Okay, I will heed your advice.

Rinse, Repeat.

Again, I don't mean to sound offensive or insulting

funny, because i was about to say something similar. it seems like this is just a way for him to show off these "hot" models that he is taking pics of. Honestly, I've found very few of them to be hot. They might have decent bodies, but the faces are not so great.

Krioni

Golden Member
Feb 4, 2000
Sample 5 is the best shot by far.... although sample 2 has some very nice cleavage going on :)

You might want to try to photoshop some of the funk off of the windows in the background of shot 2, it's VERY distracting.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I think #5 is the best shot you've posted on AT.
The pose looks natural and background works.