Same-sex couples marry in Alabama after U.S. Supreme Court refuses stay

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Same-sex couples began marrying in Alabama on Monday, defying an attempt by the chief justice of the state's Supreme Court to block probate judges from issuing marriages licenses to gays and lesbians.

A ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court on Monday helped clear the way for Alabama to become the 37th state to allow same-sex couples to marry. Justices refused a request by Alabama's attorney general to keep such marriages on hold until the court rules whether laws banning them are constitutional.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/02/09/us-usa-gaymarriage-alabama-idUSKBN0LD1KX20150209

Thought about putting this into the AL judge thread, but thought this merited its own thread because of this:

Two of the U.S. Supreme Court’s conservative justices, Clarence Thomas and Antonin Scalia, dissented from the court’s decision not to further delay gay marriage in Alabama.

In a dissenting opinion, Thomas hinted that the court’s actions in allowing marriages to go ahead “may well be seen as a signal of the court’s intended resolution of that question.”

To me, one of the more conservative Justices making that statement.....about says it all. Gay marriage is coming. Very soon.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
'Bout time. I can usually see good points on both sides of any issue, but I see no good arguments for keeping gay marriage illegal. Respect for tradition and respect for religion are both good things, but not such good things as to warrant depriving people of basic human rights to artificially enforce them.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/02/09/us-usa-gaymarriage-alabama-idUSKBN0LD1KX20150209

Thought about putting this into the AL judge thread, but thought this merited its own thread because of this:

To me, one of the more conservative Justices making that statement.....about says it all. Gay marriage is coming. Very soon.

I don't get why people are so afraid of gay marriage. I'm a straight Christian Republican male. I don't see how two gay guys or two gay girls getting married affects me at all. No one is going to force me to marry a guy, right? Wait...I take that all back. I'm against gay marriage until the government supplies me with 2 bi girls to marry! YEAH!

Seriously...

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
I don't get why people are so afraid of gay marriage. I'm a straight Christian Republican male. I don't see how two gay guys or two gay girls getting married affects me at all. No one is going to force me to marry a guy, right? Wait...I take that all back. I'm against gay marriage until the government supplies me with 2 bi girls to marry! YEAH!

Seriously...
Gay marriage will bring about hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, and dead soldiers. Because an all-loving god really, really hates gay people having the same civil rights as straight people. Or something.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
It's about time anyway.

Here's my take on it: You may not like it, your religion may not like it, your neighbors may not like it, your dog may not like it... but nobody said YOU have to get gay-married.

Same thing with polygamy btw.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
It's about time anyway.

Here's my take on it: You may not like it, your religion may not like it, your neighbors may not like it, your dog may not like it... but nobody said YOU have to get gay-married.

Same thing with polygamy btw.

I agree breakfast pastry. And to be honest, most of the Christians I know feel the same way. They don't care. I want to say that this is a made up issue but then these laws get voted on and millions of people vote against it. It really doesn't make sense to me. Things like this hurt my brain.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Pat Robertson told me gay marriage unlocks one of the seals of the apocalypse.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
The thing that gets me about anti-gay-marriage arguments (that I've encountered) is that they can be perfectly applied to that person's probable intense disapproval of the existence of gay people. If gay people could be "disappeared" without that person's conscience feeling involved in some way, would it be a problem for them?

Otherwise it doesn't make a great deal of sense to say "I'm absolutely fine with gay people living the way they want to live, have consensual sex, love whoever... but I don't want them to get married."

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
The thing that gets me about anti-gay-marriage arguments (that I've encountered) is that they can be perfectly applied to that person's probable intense disapproval of the existence of gay people. If gay people could be "disappeared" without that person's conscience feeling involved in some way, would it be a problem for them?

Otherwise it doesn't make a great deal of sense to say "I'm absolutely fine with gay people living the way they want to live, have consensual sex, love whoever... but I don't want them to get married."

See...its just doesn't make sense.

I'm honestly looking for help understanding this since my view doesn't seem to be the same as so many others. I don't understand how any Christian could care. This is the exact same thing as eating with tax collectors and the uncircumcised.

Feb 16, 2005
Ooooh really? I think I still need that seal to complete that Steam Achievement!

FWMZd.jpg

LevelSea

Jan 29, 2013
Last time I looked, only 9 out 67 counties were issuing licenses for SSM. Quite a few are not issuing licenses at all or just taking applications for SSM. Fortunately, the major metro counties are issuing them with the exception of Mobile county.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007

Seriously...

Not afraid. I just would like to know why the redefinition of marriage stops at 2 people. Or why it's limited to people not closely related to each other.

If love is the only real precondition to marriage, then we have no grounds on which to limit it at all.

In other words, I wish we'd come up with a real definition of marriage and stick to it.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Not afraid. I just would like to know why the redefinition of marriage stops at 2 people. Or why it's limited to people not closely related to each other.

If love is the only real precondition to marriage, then we have no grounds on which to limit it at all.

In other words, I wish we'd come up with a real definition of marriage and stick to it.

Ahh...ok. I can understand not wanting to redefine marriage. That makes sense, thanks.

Can I have my 2 bi chicks now?

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

#1 - it shouldn't, time to move on from that argument.
#2 - Why is it people keep bringing this up? Its the most "moral" people around who seem to think about incest on a regular basis. WTF is wrong with you people?

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
#1 - it shouldn't, time to move on from that argument.

Well, that's why I disagree. It should. Marriage has meaning. You would make it meaningless.

#2 - Why is it people keep bringing this up? Its the most "moral" people around who seem to think about incest on a regular basis.

Because if there is an argument against incestuous marriages, the logic behind gay marriage does nothing to support it and much to undermine it.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
I'm here in Alabama. I should call my wife and ask if our pets heads have fallen off, because I was told that would definitely happen. My dog might even be having a secret fling with a cat. Man I tell you, the times we live in.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I'm here in Alabama. I should call my wife and ask if our pets heads have fallen off, because I was told that would definitely happen. My dog might even be having a secret fling with a cat. Man I tell you, the times we live in.

Just be careful that you don't get gay-married on your way home.