Salt shortage:9-22 Salt shortage, high prices may mean slippery roads

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Squisher
Originally posted by: AmdEmAll
Subaru FTW!

No Salt.. No problem :D

So whats wrong with all the salt mines under Detroit? Plenty down there not being used.

It's still in operation

Positions Available:

We do not have any positions open at this time. Please check back at a later date.

Growing up in the north end of Lincoln Park like I did you could feel the mine blasts all the time even though they were probably a mile down. This would be the through the 60s though.

No job openings and the website has not been updated since 2006.

Doesn't sound like they are trying very hard to mine more salt at all.

Bet the Execs are bringing in a bundle at the triple prices though.

Ah the Corporate Aplogists, can still count on them even while the country is financially melting down in front of their eyes.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Oh nozers... :shocked:

Good thing I prefer a really good best margarita without salt. :wine: :thumbsup: :cool:

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Part of the reason is since everyone ran out of salt last year they're trying to do what they should have already been doing: build up an extra stockpile to last through shortages. The previous plan was simply to buy it off the market as needed.

That said, I didn't really have a problem with the sand heavy mix they used last year...maybe the body won't rot off my car before it gets to be 10 years old if this keeps up!

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Dave is slightly right.

The price of salt has tripled and yes some places are having a shortage.but nto because they are gholding it to drive up prices.

though many did say that about oil prices..

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

No job openings and the website has not been updated since 2006.

Doesn't sound like they are trying very hard to mine more salt at all.

I looks like they're still mining. Yeah, them miners aren't very web friendly.

The mine has changed hands a few times. It has shut down for long periods of time too and gone into disrepair. Back in the 60's it was a thriving operation with a lot of employees (including my next door neighbor). It is only a shadow of its former self now though.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: PingSpike
Part of the reason is since everyone ran out of salt last year they're trying to do what they should have already been doing: build up an extra stockpile to last through shortages. The previous plan was simply to buy it off the market as needed.

That said, I didn't really have a problem with the sand heavy mix they used last year...maybe the body won't rot off my car before it gets to be 10 years old if this keeps up!

Sand shortage!!!