Salon Shampoo and Hair Products

NaOH

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2006
So, I've discovered that salon gels and molding fiber stuff works a whole lot better (cleaner to apply, smells better, holds better, finishes cleaner, no flakes and easier to wash out)than the stuff you find in the cheapo section in target. The stuff I've been using looks like this

Text

Text

I know these products are worth paying more for, so I got curious and decided to try out their shampoo and conditioner to see if they were any different. Overall, the only difference I felt was the smell, lather, and minty feeling it left on my scalp. My hair does feel less dry and waxy (like after using garnier). Basically, it just feels clean and not dry. It might be hard to judge when you have short hair but I'll give it a couple days to see if my hair retains this moisture (have been using head and shoulders).

Anyone else have experience with this. Who else uses salon products?

L

Lola

I do feel that they are better... most of the time.

There is such a huge mark up on them its insane. Fortunatly, my mom has her beauticians license so she can get them for very cheap, but i do find they are better, more gentle on ones hair and last longer.

just my opinion. take it for what its worth, but i will tell you that i have long hair and use and try a lot of differnent products.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
I don't feel salon stuff is worth it, but products from high end cosmetic companies such as L'Occitane work pretty well, as do stuff from places like Nancy Boy.

NaOH

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2006
Originally posted by: LolaWiz
I do feel that they are better... most of the time.

There is such a huge mark up on them its insane. Fortunatly, my mom has her beauticians license so she can get them for very cheap, but i do find they are better, more gentle on ones hair and last longer.

just my opinion. take it for what its worth, but i will tell you that i have long hair and use and try a lot of differnent products.

Yes, they are pretty expensive. But they usually last a really long time for me. Like the gel, I bought a 15oz bottle for $10 dollars. It has lasted me over a year before running out.

Tremulant

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
I use the american crew stuff also. Not using the gel right now, but only because my hair is too long.

I do have the shampoo and conditioner though.

NaOH

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2006
Originally posted by: Demon-Xanth
<-- hasn't used hair spray or mousse in years. All it takes is training the hair :)

I sort of spike my hair so it is kind of hard to get a clean look without applying some gel or molding cream.

NaOH

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2006
Originally posted by: Tremulant
I use the american crew stuff also. Not using the gel right now, but only because my hair is too long.

How do you like it?

L

Lola

If you like the AC hair care stuff, try their shave and after shave creams. my husband is a "manly man" and just used the cheap stuff until my mom got him the AC shave cream. It is amazing!

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
I used to get the American Crew conditioner just because I liked how it caused my scalp to feel tingly but realized that with my hair so short that it really wouldn't matter if I used bar soap on it.

Tremulant

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
Originally posted by: AMDUALY

How do you like it?

I think it's great. I especially like the way my scalp feels after using the conditioner. I've been using the shampoo and conditoner for the past couple of years, and the gel for longer, but recently I've let my hair grow a little too long and gelling it doesn't help. Once I get my hair cut short enough I'll start using the gel again.

NaOH

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2006
Yeah, I was suprised by the tingling. Afterwards, I checked the bottle and saw the ingredients. Explains everything.

Tremulant

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
Originally posted by: LolaWiz

If you like the AC hair care stuff, try their shave and after shave creams. my husband is a "manly man" and just used the cheap stuff until my mom got him the AC shave cream. It is amazing!

I think my mom got me some of that stuff, but I don't think I've ever used it.

I don't grow much facial hair, so I don't have to shave very often, and when I do shave it's usually just to trim my sideburns.

It's actually kind of strange, because my dad has to shave every day, and my uncles (on my mother's side) have fur coats. Even my 15 year old brother has more leg/arm hair than I do (I'm 21).

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
If you like tingling, check out the proraso pre/post cream at target. You can use it as an aftershave and it is super soothing.