News Salman Rushdie attacked on stage

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Developing story—unclear whether he was just punched repeatedly or stabbed, but he definitely required attention from first responders. No update on his condition as of yet.

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
My girlfriend's parents have a house in Chautauqua, I spent a week there after 4th if July and will be going back for a week before Labor Day.

It is a pretty progressive area, a lot of the members are very liberal with a few conservative older people but I can't imagine anyone doing this. Will be interesting to see who the perpetrator is and if they are a member or someone who bought a ticket.

Reactions: Captante

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
My girlfriend's parents have a house in Chautauqua, I spent a week there after 4th if July and will be going back for a week before Labor Day.

It is a pretty progressive area, a lot of the members are very liberal with a few conservative older people but I can't imagine anyone doing this. Will be interesting to see who the perpetrator is and if they are a member or someone who bought a ticket.
And likely from out of town/state...

Reactions: Muse

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
Possibly, however I should clarify the area surrounding Chautauqua is rural and probably very conservative, a lot of Amish as well. Chautauqua is a gated community that requires day passes and tickets during the season, which is 8 weeks during the summer.

Also, Jamestown is nearby and a pretty shitty area.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
From link in OP, i.e. now:

CHAUTAUQUA, N.Y. (AP) — Salman Rushdie, the author whose writing led to death threats from Iran in the 1980s, was attacked and apparently stabbed in the neck Friday by a man who rushed the stage as he was about to give a lecture in western New York.

An Associated Press reporter witnessed a man confront Rushdie on stage at the Chautauqua Institution and begin punching or stabbing him 10 to 15 times as he was being introduced. The 75-year-old author was pushed or fell to the floor, and the man was arrested.

Rushdie was taken by helicopter to a hospital, state police said. His condition was not immediately known.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I mean, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s someone sympathetic to the Iranian regime or Shia in general. Iran is still quite butthurt over the deaths of Qassem Soleimani and, more recently, Sayad Khodayee (Khodayee was allegedly one of the leaders of the secret Quds Force unit tasked with carrying out extrajudicial killings against foreign targets.)

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Rita Landman, an endocrinologist who was in the audience, walked on stage to offer assistance after the talk. She said that Mr. Rushdie had multiple stab wounds, including one to the right side of his neck, and that there was a pool of blood under his body. But she said he appeared to be alive and was not receiving CPR.

“People were saying, ‘He has a pulse, he has a pulse he has a pulse,’” Ms. Landman said.

Personal commentary is required for all posts in P&N. This post was copied and pasted from https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/poo...an-rushdie-says-doctor-who-helped-him-3250530.

admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Rushdie's treatment of delicate political and religious subjects turned him into a controversial figure. But it was the publication of his fourth novel "The Satanic Verses" in 1988 that has hounded him for more than three decades.
Some Muslims found the book to be sacrilegious and it sparked public demonstrations. In 1989, the late Iranian leader Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini called Rushdie a blasphemer and said "The Satanic Verses" was an insult on Islam and the Prophet Mohammed, and issued a religious decree, or fatwa, calling for his death.

As a result, the Mumbai-born writer spent a decade under British protection before the Iranian government announced it would no longer seek to enforce the fatwa in 1998.

CNN's Mark Morales contributed to this report.

Unfortunately, Muse did not contribute to this report. Every post in P&N requires personal commentary. This post was copied and pasted from https://www.wdsu.com/article/who-is-salman-rushdie/40882974

admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Bbc says stabbed multiple times in the neck... Not looking so hot for this guy.

"Not looking so hot" may be an understatement.

"Salman will likely lose one eye; the nerves in his arm were severed; and his liver was stabbed and damaged," "The news is not good."

This from his agent.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Whenever anyone striking a macho 'free-thinker' pose says "why should you care what other people think of you?" I always find myself thinking of Rushdie.

Edit - I do hope he pulls through, obviously. Was there any sort of security present?

Last edited:

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Right about time there are negotiations with Iran on a new nuke deal to let them replace Russian oil on the market. Could be coincidence, but I wouldn't assume it.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Whenever anyone striking a macho 'free-thinker' pose says "why should you care what other people think of you?" I always find myself thinking of Rushdie.

Edit - I do hope he pulls through, obviously. Was there any sort of security present?

News has it that the Chautauqua Institute where he gave his talk had twice turned down requests for extra security ahead of Rushdie’s talk. This is the kind of hippie liberal place that eschews metal detectors because they create a “barrier between the audience and speaker”. They had no bag checks, and apparently the nearest state trooper was in the back of the room and not near the stage.

So obviously they’re coming under fire, but I’m going to place more blame here with Rushdie’s people. Your guy has had a fatwa over his head for more than half his adult life. You set the security protocols. If the venue doesn’t agree, then your guy doesn’t show up. End of discussion.