Sales tax on cars suck!!

zmatrix

Mar 1, 2001
I don't get it...if I were to buy a used car, why do I have to pay the tax again if the guy who previously bought the car paid the tax already??

I mean buying a leased car is one thing, but buying a car that someone has paid it off, it just doesn't make sense.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
(Because the gov't will do anytihng it can to fvck you over) x 2 = used car sales tax

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Oregon sales tax $0

But there's also:
Multnomah county tax
State income tax
Property taxes
Schools are almost always broke/begging/pleading for money

No you cannot buy a car in Oregon and drive it to WA, ID or CA to avoid sales tax. Because when you register the vehicle in your state you will still have to pay sales tax. I've had about a dozen AT'er PM asking me if they could buy a car in Oregon and drive it back down to CA.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I bought a used car in Ohio and drove it back here to Texas. Ended up not having to pay sales tax at all.

Ohio didn't want it because I was a Texas resident.

Texas didn't want it because I was considered an out-of-state resident at the time of purchase.

$1200 back in my pocket. I was happy.

Cal166

Diamond Member
May 6, 2000
Buy the car from a private party and report it dirty cheap to the DMV....screw the govt back.

StephenM

Feb 25, 2002
It's a sales tax. You make a sale, new or used, you pay the tax.

"But why don't I pay when I buy a used <blank>?"

You would if they could make you. Think about it, you pay sales tax on anything they can track the sale of. In most cases, this is just cars (tracked by registration) and houses/property (tracked by real estate records). Buy a used house, you still pay sales tax (my state calls it a transfer tax, but it's the same thing.)

If the state had a registry of old furniture, they'd tax yard sales. Think about it next time government at any level says they need you to register something.

Yeah, they're bastards.

-Stephen M

djNickb

Oct 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Cal166
Buy the car from a private party and report it dirty cheap to the DMV....screw the govt back.

Are you advocating tax evasion?

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

I tried this once and got busted. Fortunately I was given 30 days to make good on my "error", which I promptly did.

FearoftheNight

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
Now, now. That's not legal. ;) ;)

ZV

yea uhh personally i would never do such a thing...especiallly if there was no chance of getting caugh :eek:!

;) ;) ;) ;) :evil:!!!!!!!!!!

StephenM

Feb 25, 2002

Some states charge sales tax on actual sale price OR blue book, WHICHEVER IS GREATER. Apparently a few too many people have tried that. :)

Balthazar

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2000
Originally posted by: NeuroSynapsis
Originally posted by: Quixfire
Taxes suck period.

taxes are teh price you pay for a civilized society

Um, thats actually BS. I dont think many of us would be complaining about taxes if they didnt remove them from us rectally.
And if we didnt read stories about like the PA state house where they dont even bother showing up to vote and instead just jam wads of paper in the "yes" button.

THATS why we complain. Not because its a neccisary evil but because taxes, as they are, and as they have been for the better part of the last century, SUCK.

hahher

Jan 23, 2004
what if you paid a friend who lived in a tax free state buy under their name.

although complications from insurace and possible tickets/accidents would be an issue.

hahher

Jan 23, 2004
Originally posted by: CPA

I tried this once and got busted. Fortunately I was given 30 days to make good on my "error", which I promptly did.

how far off was you error? 50% of blue book? 1%?

Balthazar

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2000

I gladly admit I've done it before, bought the car from a relative for way less than I would have otherwise and paid them extra cash as a gift.
Technically I registered the car with the true purchase rice.
The rest was just a gift.

And before anyone gives you that "how can you sleep at night" routine....please, take a look at the people setting our taxes, the biggest bunch of lying thieving low-lifes to ever walk the planet.

I love the country but HATE who controls it....not so slowly but surely destroying it.

Eh but we let em....

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
A *slight* incentive to do a trade in. Your trade-in reduces the taxable amount of the final purchase price.

20,000 car with a 8,000 trade in - you only pay sales tax on 12,000.

Doesn't make up for the lowball you take on trade, but it does help make it a bit less painful.

dquan97

Lifer
Jul 9, 2002

what about intra-family real estate transactions?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

Wow, how'd they find out? Did you report it so low that it just aroused suspicion?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: spidey07
come live in kentucky.

Where you pay property tax on your auto every single year.

That sucks. Indiana has a retarded "inventory tax" that does a pretty good job of encouraging businesses to move to other states. I think it's every year in March, they have to pay a tax on whatever inventory they have on a particular day. All of the car dealerships have huge sales to get rid of all of their cars before they have to pay the inventory tax on them.