Sale on Slitherene (war) games on Steam

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Titles like 'Command' simulating post-WWII weapons in great depth is at its biggest discount yet from $80 down to under $30, while Gary Gribsby's "War in the East" is 50% off the normal $80 price.

They have dozens of games to pick from in the sale - they seem to be niche as usually in-depth wargames.

Any input on an to get for more casual and fun gameplay? The top titles look like 'spend dozens of hours to learn to play and go through 400 manual pages' type games.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Yeah, hardcore wargaming is too much like what I do all day (software development). My brain wants something lighter like Fallout Tactics / Jagged Alliance 2 / X-Com after a long day of thinking too hard.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I just couldn't enjoy Fallout tactics.

I played JA2 briefly and liked it more. From the reviews it sounds like you should like Xcom 2.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
xcom 2 is great (but not part of the sale which is natural since it was not developed by slitherne). Having siad that are any of the Slitherne games worth considering now that they are on sale ?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
xcom 2 is great (but not part of the sale which is natural since it was not developed by slitherne). Having siad that are any of the Slitherne games worth considering now that they are on sale ?

I don't play those but I've read enough reviews to say they're niche, but if you want that sort of game, there are good ones - "War in the East" seems to be one of the best wargames made.

And Command gets rave reviews for being a detailed modern military sim.

drnickriviera

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2001
Any input on an to get for more casual and fun gameplay? The top titles look like 'spend dozens of hours to learn to play and go through 400 manual pages' type games.

If you ever played Panzer General, Panzer Corps is a good clone. I don't like all the DLC addons and think they should have added some of those to the core game, but you still get quite a few hours out of the core