Salad and Dressing suggestions

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
I've never liked salad much, but I havent tried it in several years and am willing to try to in an effort to lose weight. For a "first-timer", so to speak, what would you suggest? I dont like tomatoes (at all) so nothing with that in it. Are there different "types" of lettuce for salad :eek: Also, what's a good dressing?

fatbaby

Banned
May 7, 2001
Dressing is something you cannot reccomend as everyones tastes are different.

THe most popular dressings are ranch, italian, 1000 island, honey mustard, and rice vinegar.

Depending on the salad, it can contain iceberg lettuce, spinach, mushrooms, green onions, red onions, brocoli, chicken, ETC

brtspears2

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
Italian gives it a sweet/sour like taste
Thousand island is like ketchep, relish, and mayo
Ranch is like creme, butter, with a little spice.
Vinegar and oil is another choice.

You probally want to stick to just the normal lettuce. Iceburg and red lettuce look nice, but just don't seem to hold up in a salad as well.

NetworkDad

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2001
I prefer romaine lettuce over iceburg. Iceburg can be kind of bland sometimes. As for dressings, my favorite is still italian - Make sure you use a good olive oil. You can spice it up a little by trying different kinds of vinegar in the dressing - one type of vinegar i use is balsamic.

Also, lots of black olives and red onions are a must in any salad!

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Try a traditional Greek Salad (easy on the feta cheese though):

ripped from saladrecipe.com:

Ingredients

1 head romaine lettuce- rinsed, dried and chopped
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 (6 ounce) can pitted black olives
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 large tomatoes, chopped
1 cucumber, sliced
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
6 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 lemon, juiced
ground black pepper to taste

Directions
1. In a large salad bowl, combine the Romaine, onion, olives, bell peppers, tomatoes, cucumber and cheese.

2. Whisk together the olive oil, oregano, lemon juice and black pepper. Pour dressing over salad, toss and serve.

:)

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Enough ranch dressing can make just about anything taste good :)

Shelly21

Diamond Member
May 28, 2002
one part Balsamic vinegar(The older the better, 20 years old is good) and one part extra virgin olive oil.... shaken, not stir.....

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
you all are making me hungry,I'm stuck here having peanut butter on toast because I was too tired to remember to defrost anything when I got in from work this morning.

Feta cheese is also awesome in greek omlets,really adds a zing !

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
There is no hope for somebody who doesn't like tomatoes.

I live in California and have never been to a store in Alabama, assuming they have stores, so I can't comment on your salad ingredients question. Everything depends on what's available.

The last salad I made I got a salad bowl because a plate is too small. I'm talking a bowl a foot across and 2 inches deep, good for a personal sized dinner salad. I got into the fridge and grabbed a big bag of organic mixed baby greens containing baby lettuces (red & green Romaine, R & G Oak Leaf, Lollo Rosa, Tango), Frisse, Radicchio, Mizuna, Arugula. Red Chard, and Spinach. Pile that up in the bowl and add Mozzarella cheese, lots of it, cold roasted dill covered salmon, tomatoes, a hole ripe California Haas avocado, pitted Greek olives, capers, OK leave out the capers, and real Roquefort dressing.

Edit: I forgot marinated artichoke hearts.

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Look for a good Asian Salad Dressing. Mmmmm......*drools*

Or just make your own dressing. Use some E.V. olive oil, vinegar (apple cider, baslamic, whatever), a bit of sugar and (JB's secret ingredient) a bit of beef soup base/boullion/stock.

dolph

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2001
actually... be careful about the dressing, if you're trying to lose weight. caeser dressing is wonderful, but can have 300 calories per serving and a lotta fat. not really helpful for losing weight. oil & vinegar dressings tend to be healthier, but you should get straight diet dressings if you want to lose weight. also be careful with the other toppings: croutons (especially), cheese, bacon bits (not sure about fake ones, though)... salads can start healthy and quickly become not. iceburg lettuce is a good way to start, though. it's pretty bland, just crunchy. shred some carrots & any other vegetable you like in it, toss it with a HEALTHY dressing (remember, if it tastes fattening, it probably is), and be smart about what you put on it. then you can move your way up to gourmet salads :)

BennyD

Banned
Sep 1, 2002
man, i can't believe no one's said this...

dressing suggestions:

start of with some underwear, maybe Y fronts or boxer shorts.
then some trousers, jeans or something.
then put on a shirt or jumper and some shoes and your done. :p

but seriously, Greek salad without the toms sounds good :D

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Another vote for GOOD basalmic vinegar, but I add a little truffle oil to the olive oil. Dont do iceberg.

My 2 cents