Saints Row: the Third

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
So, this has been on the steam sale and I wanted to put a word in. First , THQ is struggling, they're the good guys. I think they deserve the $. Secondly, I cannot say enough good things about this game.

This has been on sale for the steam promotion, and if you haven't picked it up, do so. Game is unbelievably fun - it is like GTA IV without the pretentiousness and a lot of added humor. I've put countless hours in the game and I still love it.

Great game, BUY IT!

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
It was the biggest disappointment of the year for me. The game was just the ridiculousness of SR2, just turned to 11. SR2 is by far the better game, and it's not even close. All they had to do was just do what they did with 2 and improve on it. Instead, the game went full retard.

Oct 25, 2006
It was decent. Story was entertaining enough, but yeah, game went full retard. You never go full retard.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
It was the biggest disappointment of the year for me. The game was just the ridiculousness of SR2, just turned to 11. SR2 is by far the better game, and it's not even close. All they had to do was just do what they did with 2 and improve on it. Instead, the game went full retard.

I agree, but for $12 or whatever I got it for on sale, it's definately worth the money. Just for Insurance Fraud alone (I love that mini-game).

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I had a lot of fun playing it, and I recommend the Season Pass DLC while it's on sale -- the Homies in Space story was fun and you get a couple of new gang members and a vehicle for completing it.

If you haven't bought it yet, the Complete version for $7.49 is a great deal.

Note: I haven't played SR2, so maybe that's why I was able to fully enjoy SR3. It sounds like SR2 players may be disappointed with it, just like Borderlands players are annoyed by some of the bad decisions in BL2.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I bought it when it came out because it looked like a great game and had good reviews. I played through maybe 3 or 4 missions, I duno i forgot. Anyway, I lost interest and could not possibly force myself to play any more for some reason. It takes one hell of a good single player game to motivate me to actually finish it. Far Cry 3 was a very rare miracle in that regard.
Single player games just can't compete for my attention with the intensity that multiplayer games provide. The social aspect of gaming and competing with others is everything to me when it comes to gaming.

Clinkster

Aug 5, 2009
Wow, got some haters in this thread. Go back to your nitty gritty GTA4 snoozefest.

This game was so off the wall in a good way.

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010

SR2 was a horrible PC port. People who are exclusively on PC did not get to enjoy the game properly.

I also started playing this game recently and I am having a blast unlike GTA IV which I felt to be rather bland.

SR3 is kind of refreshing.. yes there is a lot of juvenile humor, but the content is varied and keeps one busy for a few hours. The plot is unrealistic and pompous, but I feel that makes it a bit different from others. Sad that you could not appreciate for what it is.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Wow, got some haters in this thread. Go back to your nitty gritty GTA4 snoozefest.

Yeah these responses are pretty unbelievable to me. I loved SR3 from start to finish and i'm not easy to please when it comes to SP games. I'm pretty picky. I think most people enjoyed it.

Oct 25, 2006

Of course the comparisons were being made to SR1 and 2.. so yeah no idea where GTA4 came from.

SR1 and 2 were much better games. SR3, like Borderlands 2, went off the deep end because they took their humour in the first game which was great, and just took only the silly parts of the humor and turned it all the way up to 11, to the point where it just was kinda stupid.

Krakn3Dfx

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000

I thought Saint's Row 2 was a complete mess from beginning to end, especially on the PC, but also on every other platform. Saint's Row 3 took the concept of 2 and turned it into a concise, well directed story along with some great dialogue in a city that was just big enough to enjoy the madness of the situation.

I've owned Saint's Row the Third since it dropped, and I bought it again the last few days to get all of the content the Full Package brings to the table.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I got it part of the Humble Bundle and have played it for roughly 12 hours. The game is ok, but has some really odd bugs. Have fallen through the world a couple times, odd car stuff, deaths for no reason. THQ may be a good company, but the last few games felt really unpolished and buggy.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I got it part of the Humble Bundle and have played it for roughly 12 hours. The game is ok, but has some really odd bugs. Have fallen through the world a couple times, odd car stuff, deaths for no reason. THQ may be a good company, but the last few games felt really unpolished and buggy.

Is your CPU or video card overclocked? AMD or Nvidia GPU?

I've played for a bit over 20 hours on my Intel + Nvidia system with everything at stock speed, and haven't seen any of that.

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
Saints Row 3 put Saints Row 2 to shame in my book, and I liked Saints Row 2.

They really understood what made the game so great, and took it to a new level. There are certainly some valid criticisms of the game, like certain sections being almost impossible to fail, but all in all its what I want to see more of in games. Do what you do, and do it well. Don't try to take yourself so damn seriously.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001

I've played for a bit over 20 hours on my Intel + Nvidia system with everything at stock speed, and haven't seen any of that.

Nvidia all stock on latest drivers. There are plenty of videos on Youtube showing this happening. For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDPMHbd3AX8

It's not by any means a horrible game, but is a well deserved 7.5/10 IMO. I was also disappointed with the latest Red Faction.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Me neither on the system in my sig.

power_hour

Oct 16, 2010
Great game. Great graphics, fun things to do, decent story. I loved it then again I love being a full retard sometimes. Sorry Mom, but its true...

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I enjoyed it quite a bit. It had no replay value, but it was fun until I beat it.

AlexAL

Jan 23, 2008
SR3 (and I tried to play SR2 on Steam, but it's a pain) took GTA in a new direction. I respect that.