Saint Louis is preparing for riots tomorrow

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Calling a stupid comment trolling in an attempt to defend it isn't useful especially when it has been posted more than once. Thanks for the insight, though.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to defend his post. I was trying to convey the futility of trying to engage in serious or honest debate with imported_tajmahal. Yes, I was smarmy, and for that I apologize.

Reactions: MrDudeMan

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
This sounds like terrorism.
One man's terrorist is anoather man's freedom fighter.
Back when slavery was legal, it would have been considered by many at the time if people rounded up all the slaveowners and shot them in the face with blunderbusses in the process of freeing all of their slaves, though that is more or less a true literal definition of a freedom fighter.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
And the police breaking the law, including murdering innocent civilians, with impunity is called tyranny.
Next taj will question the validity of our founding fathers and their authority to create this country. Trying to hold a meaningful conversation with him is like trying to teach a roly poly math.:p

gplracer

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2000
One man's terrorist is anoather man's freedom fighter.
Back when slavery was legal, it would have been considered by many at the time if people rounded up all the slaveowners and shot them in the face with blunderbusses in the process of freeing all of their slaves, though that is more or less a true literal definition of a freedom fighter.
Still terrorism. Still wrong. I bet many of these people do not care about trial. They only use it as an excuse to loot and steal.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Still terrorism. Still wrong. I bet many of these people do not care about trial. They only use it as an excuse to loot and steal.

And I bet you are a racist. See, we can all make unfounded assumptions to justify our opinions.

gplracer

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2000
And I bet you are a racist. See, we can all make unfounded assumptions to justify our opinions.
What do ou day to the families of the owners of the businesses who might suffer from the looting?
Oh so I am a racist for saying these people are terrorizing business owners? You logic escapes me. I find it hard to say it is ok to do this to people.

Jul 9, 2009
Sorry, I wasn't trying to defend his post. I was trying to convey the futility of trying to engage in serious or honest debate with imported_tajmahal. Yes, I was smarmy, and for that I apologize.
Oh no, you mean a guy with the avatar name "BurnItDwn" doesn't take my political postings seriously?

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Oh no, you mean a guy with the avatar name "BurnItDwn" doesn't take my political postings seriously?
IRC was limited to 9 characters, and I wanted to maintain the same handle from efnet and undernet on the forums.
I used to really love a nice bonfire or campfire. Toasted Marshmallows or Hot dogs cooked on a stick. So good.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
IRC was limited to 9 characters, and I wanted to maintain the same handle from efnet and undernet on the forums.
I used to really love a nice bonfire or campfire. Toasted Marshmallows or Hot dogs cooked on a stick. So good.

I thought it was a referencing smoking a joint down to the roach..... silly me....

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Who was innocent?

There are plenty of innocent people killed by cops every year. One blatant one is the Austrailian national who a cop shot and killed through the door of his police car. She had called the police to report a suspected rape and was standing outside to meet the officers, she wasn't threatening or holding anything that looked like a gun and was absolutely innocent.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I thought it was a referencing smoking a joint down to the roach..... silly me....
I have been using this as a handle since I was about 14 or 15 years old on IRC talking about heavy metal and death metal... more or less hadn't touched a joint by then, or even a cigarette or a beer...

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Looting is immoral and wrong, I agree.
Its not terorism though.
The Word terrorist tends to be thrown around lightly. Problems are sometimes complex. People who are desperate or scared often make impulsive or bad decisions.

gplracer

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2000
Are you saying violence against incentives people is ok and iScanner needed to prove a point?
Looting is immoral and wrong, I agree.
Its not terorism though.
The Word terrorist tends to be thrown around lightly. Problems are sometimes complex. People who are desperate or scared often make impulsive or bad decisions.
I agree with what you are saying. I also agree that the word terrorism might have been too strong for this situation. Things have gone out of control in St. Louis. Breaking windows in a moment of passion is one thing. Going in stores and stealing merchandise is a step too far.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Are you saying violence against incentives people is ok and iScanner needed to prove a point?

I agree with what you are saying. I also agree that the word terrorism might have been too strong for this situation. Things have gone out of control in St. Louis. Breaking windows in a moment of passion is one thing. Going in stores and stealing merchandise is a step too far.

Just checked out St Louis's murder rate of 37/100,000 and my jaw hit the floor. There are only 6 countries in the entire world with a murder rate higher than St Louis. Milwaukee is horrible but St Louis is hell on earth.

Segregation is to blame....