safest transportation method?

Nestle

Oct 2, 2001
I need to take a 19" LCD from the US to Europe. On my way there i will make one stop.
Would it be safer to put the LCD in a hard plastic bag surrounded by clothes and part of its packaging material (to make it not to move inside the bag) and take it with me, or ship it in its original box with USPS?

Also, USPS is the cheapest i found, UPS and FedEx charge double the amount. Is there any other cheaper alternative?

Thanks.

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
take it on the plane with u. not like to the seat, but u can check it in, and it'll go with the luggage. i've transported a computer like this before. i didn't have to pay. depending on size, weight, & airline...u might need to pay $$$.

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
i would be afriad of it getting screwed up or lost in the luggage place in the airlines. best bet is fedex... even though i'ts more expensive. IMO.

Jerboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Rallispec
i would be afriad of it getting screwed up or lost in the luggage place in the airlines. best bet is fedex... even though i'ts more expensive. IMO.

Label the container:

DANGER!
FRAGILE GLASS!

OXIDIZER
CORROSIVE
PERCHLORIC ACID 70%, 10L

HClO4 is a truly dangerous acid. If spilled, it could set organic matter on fire violently, therefore it will be treated with respect.

You can also try sticking a bunch of these

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Jerboy
Originally posted by: Rallispec

HClO4 is a truly dangerous acid. If spilled, it could set organic matter on fire violently, therefore...

... they won't let you ship it.
rolleye.gif

Nestle

Oct 2, 2001
Yeah , FedEx is better, but a lot more expensive, USPS is less than $100, FedEx is $200 ...
I am taking a computer with me, but i feel that the LCD is more sensitive than the computer and I am a bit afraid to take it with me. I know people at airports don't always handle luggage very carefully, but i don't know if they people at USPS will handle it better...

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
my computer was handled fine at the airport. the box didn't look nearly as beat up as fedex & ups packages i've recieved before.

Nestle

Oct 2, 2001
The thing is that i can not take it inside its own box. I have to put it in a luggage along with clothes. This is because I am allowed only 2 check in only 2 bags. But its a hard plastic bag, so maybe it will still be ok.

vegetation

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
The key is to pack it well, then it doesn't matter what carrier you use. Damage can result from any transportation method. If the original box is one of those shipping boxes, with thick foam inserts inside a durable box, then you can use that just fine. Otherwise, you'll need to double box it with lots of padding. Merely shoving it into your suitcase is a recipe for disaster!

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Nestle
The thing is that i can not take it inside its own box. I have to put it in a luggage along with clothes. This is because I am allowed only 2 check in only 2 bags. But its a hard plastic bag, so maybe it will still be ok.

when i fly, i am allowed to check in 2 pieces of luggage. if i have anything more than that, they charge me.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
carry it on the plane (although with the newer security checks, they might deny you)

if you check it and it gets damaged, you are out, they WON'T pay you a nickle for the dead display

Nestle

Oct 2, 2001
Originally posted by: vegetation
The key is to pack it well, then it doesn't matter what carrier you use. Damage can result from any transportation method. If the original box is one of those shipping boxes, with thick foam inserts inside a durable box, then you can use that just fine. Otherwise, you'll need to double box it with lots of padding. Merely shoving it into your suitcase is a recipe for disaster!

I am not going to just "shove" it in the suitcase. If i take it in that way i will pack it as good as posible. I am sure the package I will do will be at least as good if not better from the original box with the foam. The thing i worry is about the way they will handle it at the airports (and since i make a stop and change plane there will be 3 airports). Maybe they will not handle a suitcase with the same care they would handle a box ..

Nestle

Oct 2, 2001
Originally posted by: FoBoT
carry it on the plane (although with the newer security checks, they might deny you)

if you check it and it gets damaged, you are out, they WON'T pay you a nickle for the dead display

Its too big to curry it on the plane with me :( Otherwise i would have done that for sure.

How about the insurance of USPS? If i insure it and it gets damage they will give me the money in Europe? Or they will give me a lot of trouble?

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Jerboy

Label the container:

DANGER!
FRAGILE GLASS!

OXIDIZER
CORROSIVE
PERCHLORIC ACID 70%, 10L

HClO4 is a truly dangerous acid. If spilled, it could set organic matter on fire violently, therefore it will be treated with respect.

You can also try sticking a bunch of these

Jerboy, you are an idiot to even suggest that...

vegetation

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
Wait, you're sending it US to Europe? You don't want to use a parcel carrier then, because you'll have to declare the item's value (you MUST declare it for any insurance to take effect) then whomever receives the package will have to pay import taxes on it. I assume the value of this item is quite $$ so the taxes can add up to a lot; this is in addition to the postage fees you'll have to pay.

How about the insurance of USPS? If i insure it and it gets damage they will give me the money in Europe? Or they will give me a lot of trouble?