safest hair coloring method ?

syzygy

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2001
i'm looking to lighten the medium brown color of my hair. i would like to
possibly reach a light blond. needless to say it must be natural looking.

i understand permanent coloring contains the evil hydrogen peroxide that
can cause all sorts of harm. can anyone impart any safe methods or tricks
to hair coloring ?

what about color sprays, semi-permanent coloring, dye mousses, and the like ?

zbalat

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I no longer have any hair, but I did go light blond in college.
Try this:

Take a bottle of hair conditioner and empty it 1/2 way and then fill the rest of the bottle with Hydrogen peroxide and shake it up. Run it through your hair like you would a styling gel. Make sure you get the concoction all the way to your roots. Lay out in the sun or go to your local tanning salon for the formula to take effect.

Good luck.

syzygy

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2001
zbalat, uh, no. thanks for try.

the only option with hydrogen peroxide is to use the regular coloring, so why
half-empty a perfectly good bottle of conditioner ? the formula is virtually
identical.

and the tanning salon . .. ouch. never. those atomic rays will bake you into
charcoal.

monk3y

Lifer
Jun 12, 2001
The hair dyes at the stores are usually pretty good... atleast that's what i used...

zbalat

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Come to think of it, I never looked like such a jackass. I don't think there is really anything you can buy to color your hair without anyone noticing.

Grow a mullet instead. I hear they are making a comeback.

unxpurg8d

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2000

If you want to gradually lighten it use Sun In or a similar product - it's heat-activated and you can do it a little at a time so there's no drastic change. If you're after the sun-streaked look use the permanent dye to lighten your hair a few shades then CAREFULLY use a L'Oreal streaking kit or something of the sort.

FYI the current hair dyes really are pretty gentle on your hair unless you're bleaching it drastically. I've dyed my hair weekly with no problems. The only time it's really an issue is if your hair is permed or straightened. Never EVER perm after dyeing it. That's the voice of really painful experience. :eek:

Color sprays,etc., are temporary at best, and somehow always end up looking less than natural.

syzygy

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2001
thanks for the advice. i'll look into it. i've read a number of
scare stories regarding hydrogen peroxide so i'm not sure what
to think without gathering opinions.

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
Listen to Unexpurg8d... she knows, she is a fellow surivior of 80's hair!

And YES, I totally fried my hair last year because I forgot the unholy truths of perming/coloring!

Subversal

Aug 22, 2000
Lemon juice and Sun In won't change your color too much. Lemon Juice works great of you have the time to sit in the sun :) I use this stuff at my local beauty shop... its got Peroxide though... works well for me but I dye my hair to almost white then dye it Midnight Blue. Looks almost black with some blue highlights... so I can get away with it at work.

<< Take a bottle of hair conditioner and empty it 1/2 way and then fill the rest of the bottle with Hydrogen peroxide and shake it up. Run it through your hair like you would a styling gel. Make sure you get the concoction all the way to your roots. Lay out in the sun or go to your local tanning salon for the formula to take effect. >>

That would get you your desired results. Try that.

unxpurg8d

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2000

LOL Isla! Nooooooooooooo kidding - a couple years ago my hair was about an inch long.... it MELTED 'cause I figured &quot;awwww, what can just a wave perm hurt?&quot;. EEEEEEEK Melted into goo. All I could do was laugh. Oh, and this time I took a picture so I'd remember why it's not such a good idea! Silly women, anyway. :eek:

(Hey, and leave my 80s hair alone! I need the big hair to balance the big....errrr...never mind. )

Shoes, btw - for all you evil-minded people. I'm short. I wear big shoes. :p