Safe to live next to a huge dish??

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by slimbim, Mar 9, 2006.

1. slimbim

slimbim Senior member

I looked at an apartment and like it so considering it. While I was looking at the apartment, however, I look outside the bedroom window, and there are like 2 of those huge satellite dish things in the back like right outside the windows.

Is it safe to live next to these things? or am I going to grow another ear or something? I'm thinking they wouldn't have put it there in the first place if it wasn't safe... but...

2. Safeway

Safeway Lifer

No, not an ear.

A tail.

3. conjur

conjur No Lifer

Uh....satellite dishes aren't transmitters. They're antennae. They only pick up signals already floating around out there.

Just don't live under high-tension power lines. Too much RF probably isn't good. :)

4. Looney

Looney Lifer

Um yeah, it's safe. A dish isn't even powered or anything, it just receives signal.

5. tweakmm

tweakmm Lifer

Yeah, or cell towers.

6. Ime

Ime Diamond Member

What the apartment manager didn't tell you is the previous renter died from a brain tumor! :Q

7. l Xes l

l Xes l Banned

That's why he getting the first three months for free!

8. Amused

Amused Elite Member

Amazing how myths grow...

9. Krazefinn

Krazefinn Senior member

I dunno about how large a "dish" can be and still be a dish. However, I do live WITH a lithe, SMALL dish!!

ughh nvr mind!

10. Bassyhead

Bassyhead Diamond Member

You'll be fine, OP ;)

11. tweakmm

tweakmm Lifer

I know it may be overblown, but I refuse to believe that the same microwave waves that cook my burrito in my kitchen are 100% safe flying above my head.

12. Rubycon

Rubycon Madame President

Not all are receivers. Text

Relax. The energy density of a wireless card is like 0.00000001% of what your lunch experiences in the microwave oven cavity. Your brain and testicles are fine. ;)

13. sao123

sao123 Lifer

(un)fortunately for you, they are the same waves you encounter when you watch tv, when you have an xray, go tanning, use a cellphone or use the toaster oven/hairdryer. Its all EM radiation.

fortunately the difference between the waves in your microwave, and the ones for tv, radio and communication, as well as light that you see, the uv light that tans your skin, and the orange glow emitted from your toaster oven... is the wavelength is different.
    The entire spectrum.

Every point in the universe contains some level of radiation, even where your sitting right now... the difference is how much energy is contained in that radiation determines how dangerous it can be to you.

14. tweakmm

tweakmm Lifer

I'm well aware of the fact that living in a civilized society we're constantly surrounded by EM radiation from many sources. I know it's unfair to single out cell towers, but I think if you live beside one that'll be a big source of exposure.
    It is fair to assume that the energy levels of the radiation from one of those super-connecter microwave cell towers are a tad higher than me looking into my toaster to see how my toast is coming along?

15. FoBoT

FoBoT No Lifer

yes, they are directional

16. sao123

sao123 Lifer

that would be incorrect... if you read the diagram correctly you would know that infrared waves (your toaster) have more energy that either your microwaves or your cell phone/amfm radios/tv waves

17. Savij

Savij Diamond Member

That damn S.U.N. Always blasting us with EM radiation. I mean I can't look anywhere without seeing its radiation bouncing, and radiating and doing all those nasty things EM waves do. It's so bad that you can feel your skin and body heating up every time you're exposed to it. Hell, by itself, the S.U.N.'s radiation causes changes to our weather and climate. I propose we start a petition to block its radiation from getting to us...permanently. No more S.U.N. radiation. Then we can all live the rest of our lives without fear of growing extra eyes, ears, and feet.

18. shortylickens

shortylickens No Lifer

Does anybody here know that if you stand outside on a cloudy day you get radiated with more RF from the sun, than living next to a cell tower your whole life?

19. tweakmm

tweakmm Lifer

Ok, so this is my point exactly. If one stays outside too long too often without proper shielding(sun block) one's chances of getting cancer are greatly increased. How is cell tower radiation any different?
    I would very much like to see a reliable source for the breakup of what exposes you to what percent of one's total RF exposure.
    Very interesting, any links to back this up?

20. Bassyhead

Bassyhead Diamond Member

It's well known that a significant amount of ionizing radiation exposure comes from the sun. That's one reason why people get skin cancer. Furthermore, a cell tower's radiation is non-ionizing so they're not really comparable. The antennae of a cell tower are safe even from a few feet away. One such link obtained from Google among dozens: http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-colle...fact-sheets/bio-effects-radiation.html

21. BIGk

BIGk Senior member

not a tail. another leg

22. mchammer

mchammer Diamond Member

A few feet away? I know that non-ionizing radiation can damage the cornea of the eye because it cannot coll itself well. Also, the radiation in a microwave is non-ionizing, and it cooks the food petty good.

23. daveshel

daveshel Diamond Member

I think it all depends on what they're cooking in it.

24. God On Alcohol

God On Alcohol Senior member

put alluminum foil all over sattelites and demand cash to have the foil removed :)

25. Jeff7

Jeff7 Lifer

One time, an earwig managed to get into the microwave. So I turned it on. Full minute. It survived and didn't seem to care. It just kept running all over the inside of the thing like nothing happened. Maybe it just didn't get hit?

And that stuff's been proven to cause skin cancer and vision damage.